Whore of Babylon
|Name||Whore of Babylon|
|Actor||Kayla Mae Maloney|
|Dates||????-2010 (killed by Dean)|
|Episode(s)||5.17 99 Problems|
Castiel: She rises when Lucifer walks the earth. "And she shall come, bearing false prophecy." This creature has the power to take a human's form, read minds. Book of Revelation calls her "the Whore of Babylon."
Dean: Well, that's catchy.
– Castiel and Dean, 5.17 99 Problems
In Supernatural, the Whore of Babylon is a creature from Hell whose name also appears in the Book of Revelation. According to Castiel, it cannot leave Hell until Lucifer has broken out of his Cage and is walking the Earth. This creature wanted to harvest and prepare humans souls for Hell. Her primary goal - condemning human souls to Hell by speaking falsely of prophecy - suggests that she is the "False Prophet" described and mentioned in the Book of Revelation.
Powers and Abilities
- It can assume human form.
- It can read human minds.
- It's a telekinetic being, which allows it to influence and move objects and people with its mind.
- This creature understands the Enochian language and seems to be semi-fluent in speaking it; she recited a spell that harmed Castiel, and she also influenced a small town and taught them a false Enochian exorcism that when translated by the Castiel means "you breed with the mouth of a goat".
- This creature can be very manipulative and she, while in human form, almost condemned an entire town to Hell.
- This creature also has power over the will of demons and uses this to "predict" where battles will occur thus strengthening the belief in her being a prophet.
- This creature can be destroyed by being impaled with a stake or branch of cypress from Babylon by a true servant of heaven.
It presumably finds and kills Leah, and assumes her form. It pretends to be speaking to Angels, and helping exorcise demons, which are actually working in collusion with her. In fact, Castiel reveals that the Enochian exorcism she has taught the townspeople actually means "You breed with the mouth of a goat." It convinces the townspeople of Blue Earth, Minnesota that in order to be among the Chosen who will experience Paradise on Earth, they must follow "the angels' commandments" - a set of behavior restrictions - and anyone who breaks them is to be killed. This, of course, condemning those who do the killing to Hell. Castiel says that only a true servant of Heaven can kill the Whore, with a Stake of cypress from Babylon. It is decided the only worthy person is Pastor Gideon, but when he fails, Dean completes the act - suggesting he is close to agreeing to be Michael's Vessel.
Whore of Babylon in Lore
The Whore of Babylon is a figure of evil mentioned in the Book of Revelation, and has close connection to the Antichrist and the Beast of Revelation. Her full title according to the text of the Bible is "Babylon the Great, the Mother of Prostitutes and Abominations of the Earth", her downfall is described in the Book of Revelation as being killed by a "beast with seven heads and ten horns". Though the Bible describes her as an actual physical manifestation of evil, the term Whore of Babylon has taken on a more allegorical meaning; from the Protestants and Seventh-Day Adventists viewing the Catholic Church to be the Whore, to a traditional Catholic view that a Counter-Catholic Church will rise to deceive believers (some believe to be the Catholic Church post-Vatican II).