The Wayward Daughters Academy was a fan idea for a Supernatural spin-off that started in April 2015 and has grown into a much larger movement within fandom.
At the end of 9.19 Alex Annie Alexis Ann, Sheriff Jody Mills took Alex Jones, a young woman who had been held captive by a nest of vampires, home to live her. Later, in 10.20 Angel Heart Claire Novak is reunited with her mother Amelia Novak only to then tragically lose her. Sam, Dean and Cas also send her to Jody Mills while she heals. As she leaves she says "This is some sort of halfway house for wayward girls?", and an idea was born - Donna and Jody running a homebase for young women as a spin-off of Supernatural.
Two fans - Riley Keshner and Betty Days - set up a Twitter and Tumblr account to promote the idea with a letter writing campaign and petition. It captured the imagination of fans and actors including Kim Rhodes and Briana Buckmaster. Preceintly , one fan speculated on "#Jody&DonnasHomeForWaywardGirls with @robertberens as head writer."
Riley Krushner said: “I knew we had the numbers and so I put out a call to action through the fandom, and Betty and I created the social media accounts and a petition so that we could funnel everyone’s enthusiasm through a central outlet. We called it ‘Wayward Daughters Academy.’ That was May 1, 2015, the day after ‘Angel Heart’ aired. That day, Kim and Briana both followed us and we discussed with them that we appreciated their support but wouldn’t do anything without their consent. They were both on board, and the rest is history.”
The idea of Wayward Daughters expanded to support promoting positive female representation in Supernatural and other media, and also the idea of fans supporting each other. In December 2015, Kim and Briana ran a campaign through Creation Stands, selling Wayward Daughters tee shirts with proceeds going to Random Acts. As part of the campaign fans posted what the campaign meant to them under the tag #istandwityhwaywarddaughters. As a gift to the fandom, Briana posted a video of her lipsyncing to Beyonce. As the campaign broadened, it took on the tagline #WaywardAF and variations like #WaywardStrong and has led to a number of charity T-shirt Campaigns.
11.12 Don't You Forget About Me gave fans a look at the life Sherrif Mills, Alex and Claire were building together, and furthered spurred the enthusiam for a series focussing on these characters.
12.16 Ladies Drink Free focussed on Claire who is out hunting on her own, and teams up with the Winchesters to track down some werewolves. In the preview for the episode by showrunners Andrew Dabb and Bob Singer, Dabb described Claire as “a fan favorite character, someone we really like” and Singer stated that the episode “very subtly tees up something that we’re gonna revisit next year.”
Jody and Alex reappeared in the episode 12.22 Who We Are - and survived the season.
On June 20th 2017, it was announced that Season 13 would feature a planted pilot for Wayward Sisters, a spin-off series that would tell the story of "Sheriff Jody Mills and a group of troubled young women, all of them orphaned by supernatural tragedy. Under Mills’ training and protection, the women will emerge as a supreme monster-fighting force."
At the time of the announcement only Kim Rhodes had been confirmed for the episode. The pilot is written by Robert Berens and Andrew Dabb. The spinoff is executive produced by Andrew Dabb, Bob Singer, Phil Sgriccia and Bob Berens.
Further news on the series was released during Comic-Con 2017. Alongside Kim Rhodes, Briana Buckmaster, Kathryn Newton and Katherine Ramdeen were confirmed for the series along with Clark Backo. The series will be launched through episodes 3, 9 and 10 of Season 13 of Supernatural Season 13.
- A new character Patience (Clark Backo) - estranged granddaughter of psychic and returning character Missouri Mosely - will be introduced in episode three of Supernatural in Season 13.
- Patience Turner, a new member of the Wayward Sisterhood. A high school over-achiever, Patience’s life is turned upside down when she discovers she’s a powerful psychic, a gift she inherited from her estranged grandmother (and season one Supernatural character) Missouri Moseley. Hunted by dark forces for her power, Patience finds refuge with Jody and her wayward family.
Episodes 9 and 10 of Supernatural in Season 13 will be the pilot episodes to launch the potential spin-off.
- @Wayward Academy
- Wayward Daughters Academy on Tumblr
- Wayward Daughters is the Supernatural spinoff we need by The Geekiary
- Supernatural fans want Wayward Daughters by The Daily Fandom
- Wayward Daughters Academy - the best new Supernatural fundraiser by Geek and Sundry
- Did ‘Supernatural’ just backdoor pilot the ‘Wayward Daughters’ spin-off? by Hypable
- Supernatural Spin off by the Nerdist
- Wayward Sisters spin off by EW
- 7 characters who belong on Wayward Sisters by BuddyTV