On 24 June 2021, it was announced that a Supernatural prequel -- The Winchesters -- was in development from Chaos Machine Productions. The CW has given a script commitment for the project which will center on the early life of John and Mary Winchester. Jensen will executive produce alongside former co-executive producer and writer for Supernatural Robbie Thompson. The series will be narrated by Dean Winchester. Jensen said of the project:
- “After Supernatural wrapped its 15th season, we knew it wasn’t over. Because like we say in the show, ‘nothing ever really ends, does it? When Danneel and I formed Chaos Machine Productions, we knew the first story we wanted to tell was the story of John and Mary Winchester, or rather the Supernatural origin story. I always felt like my character, Dean, would have wanted to know more about his parents’ relationship and how it came to be. So I love the thought of having him take us on this journey.”
On his Instagram post, Jensen said :
- "Can't wait to share... it's the story I've always wanted to know. We will hit the waypoints that have been set and fill in the rest in a way you never expected. "we got work to do."
In response to the news there were congratulations from many including Eric Kripke who said:
- "When @JensenAckles first told me this story, I loved it. He & @DanneelHarris & @rthompson1138 are the perfect people to make it. (The other perfect person is too busy Texas Rangering.) Thanks for carrying the torch, guys, go kick it in the ass. Proud of you. #SPN #SPNFamily."
- "Dude. Happy for you. Wish I heard about this some way other than Twitter. I’m excited to watch, but bummed that Sam Winchester had no involvement whatsoever."
Many initially assumed he was joking, but Jared responded to a query with:
- "No. It’s not. This is the first I’ve heard about it. I’m gutted."
He also tweeted an accusatory tweet to Robbie Thompson (now deleted). The response was picked up by a number of media outlets. Fandom was embroiled in high emotion and speculation for the next day. The following day Jared posted:
- "Hey world. Thank you for the love. Please PLEASE don’t send any hate or threats. I care deeply about everybody involved and would be in true misery if any of them were harmed or threatened."
This was followed a couple of hours later by this tweet:
- "@JensenAckles and I had a great talk, as we do often, and things are good. The show is early in the process with miles to go. We’ve travelled a lot of roads together, and sometimes those damn roads have bumps. Bumps don’t stop us. Once brothers, always brothers."
- "Love you @jarpad … Miss these talks. I forgot how much face time we always used to get. And I miss that too. I know you’re busy… as am I, but you’re still my brother. I miss you, pal."
- ‘Supernatural’ Prequel ‘The Winchesters’ In Works At The CW From Jensen & Danneel Ackles
- Jared Padalecki Seemingly Blindsided By New Supernatural Project With Jensen Ackles In New Tweet by Cinemablend
- Jared Padalecki “Bummed” About ‘Supernatural’ Prequel News But Patches Things Up With Jensen Ackles: “Once Brothers, Always Brothers” by Deadline