Of all the movies and TV shows which have featured on Supernatural, The Shining is one of the most oft mentioned and referenced.
The film stars Jack Nicholson as tormented writer Jack Torrance. Jack has taken his family to an isolated inn so he can finish his novel. His young son Danny, has creepy visions of past and future evil events at the hotel. Another character referred to this "gift" as the Shining, hence the title. Jack becomes influenced by a supernatural presence and descends into madness, eventually turning on his family in a murderous rage.
- The Shining on IMDb
- There was also a 1997 mini-series but we prefer to pretend that didn't happen.
- In 2012 a documentary called Room 237 looked at hidden meanings and conspiracy theories surrounding the movie.
- 1 Episodes
- 1.1 1.09 Home
- 1.2 1.10 Asylum
- 1.3 1.18 Something Wicked
- 1.4 2.01 In My Time of Dying
- 1.5 2.07 The Usual Suspects
- 1.6 2.09 Croatoan
- 1.7 2.11 Playthings
- 1.8 3.01 The Magnificent Seven
- 1.9 3.03 Bad Day at Black Rock
- 1.10 3.11 Mystery Spot
- 1.11 4.14 Sex and Violence
- 1.12 6.11 Appointment in Samarra
- 1.13 7.20 The Girl with the Dungeons and Dragons Tattoo
- Dean: I mean, first you tell me that you’ve got the Shining? And then you tell me that I’ve gotta go back home?
Dean theorizes about what happens to people who spend time in the haunted Roosevelt Asylum.
- Dean: Spirits driving them insane. Kind of like my man Jack in The Shining.
The old woman in the hospital is in Room 237. In The Shining, Room 237 is the mystery-shrouded room, where Jack encounters the ghost of a young woman that turns into an old woman.
Dean references The Shining twice:
- When he was 'confessing' he talked about messages from spirits being jumbled as anagrams, and uses Redrum as an example. Redrum is murder spelled backwards and appears written in blood on the inn walls.
- When he and Sam were looking at a printout page of the word danashulps written over and over, Dean said "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy," a reference to the famous phrase Jack Nicholson's character typed for hundreds of pages.
The doctor tells Dean that the nearest town, forty miles away, is Sidewinder. In The Shining the events occur in the Overlook Hotel which is 40 miles from Sidewinder.
- Doctor: It's about forty miles down to Sidewinder.
There are multiple references to The Shining throughout the episode. Dean and Sam stay in room 237, the twin girls, the low tracking shots throughout the inn's halls are redolent of similar cinematography, and the scene in which Dean wanders into the inn bar to talk to Sherwin is reminiscent of a scene in the film. The room number 237 was also referenced in 1.18 Something Wicked
Maggie Thompson's dialogue is reminiscent of the twins' famously creepy line in The Shining "Come and play with us Danny. Forever and ever and ever."
- Maggie: We can have lots of tea parties. Forever and ever and ever.
Famous Jack Nicholson quote from The Shining said as he chops thru a door with an axe, in a mocking interpretation of the introduction of late night show host Johnny Carson.
- Pride: Here’s Johnny!
- Dean: Sounds like Ozzie and Harriet.
- Sam: More like The Shining.
- Bobby: Don't say, "Here's Johnny."
Charlie's apartment is #237.