The Host of Heaven
The Host of Heaven is an angelic society encompassing all angels except those that rebel or fall from Heaven. Little is known of how this particular society functions. Activities of angels within the Host vary.
It is arranged into a rigid, militaristic hierarchy. Angel Garrisons are divisions in Heaven, inhabited by certain angels. Anna, Castiel and Uriel were originally part of an angel garrison led initially by Anna. Questioning or refusing to follow orders can lead to severe punishments, which may involve diminishing an angel's stature inside the Host. In extreme cases, an angel may be hunted and killed for their trespasses, including lack of faith and choosing to fall. Both Anna and Castiel are tortured for their disobedience. Now, this arrangement has been breaking down since God's departure from Heaven and around the rebellion of Lucifer. When God left Heaven, Michael adopted full responsibility in leading the Host, maintaining order and stability within it.
Angels within the Host were not created all at once; the archangels appear to have been made first. They're the only four angels to have seen God. According to Castiel, the angelic army of the Host is not unlimited. The angels of Heaven are not indestructible. And the entire Heavenly establishment could be obliterated by one word from a Cambion.
Well, I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley, believe me. He commands the heavenly host. During the last big dust-up upstairs, he's the one who booted Lucifer's ass to the basement. Did it with that sword.
– Demon!Bobby describing Michael, 5.01 Sympathy For The Devil
Uriel was at one time leading a group of Lucifer loyalists to free Lucifer. Castiel chose to side with the Winchesters, and his rebellion causes him to be cut off from Heaven. Following the imprisonment of Michael in Lucifer's Cage, Castiel describes the situation there as civil war. Angelic Weapons have been stolen from their repository in Heaven.
For more information, see Angel Lore.
Leaders in The Host
In Seasons four and five, the leaders in the Host might loosely be defined as those who were aware of the plan to allow The 66 Seals to brake, which would release Lucifer, and sought to hasten his battle with Michael in order to bring forth paradise. These angels issue commands, promote and demote subordinates, and may be involved in the selection of prophets. In Season six, leadership and management in the Host is in some doubt as the angels are in a state of civil war. The combatants consist of Raphael and his followers, who wish to restart the Apocalypse, and Castiel and the other angels that oppose this plan.
- Michael, after God left Heaven, became the primary authority in Heaven, managing and maintaining the Host by issuing commands to angel Garrisons. Soon after his imprisonment in the Cage alongside Lucifer, Heaven's management is falling into major disorder, splitting up the divisions in the Host. Raphael is currently trying to become the paramount leader in Heaven.
- Raphael is an important member of the Host who may have guarded the prophet Chuck Shurley. He seems to hold authority and leadership over other angels. Following Michael's imprisonment in the Cage, he starts searching for God's weapons so that he can release Michael and Lucifer, giving Michael a final opportunity to kill Lucifer.
- Zachariah answers to Michael and Raphael. According to him, he has been working for Heaven for over 6 millennia. Prior to his constant failures to obtain Dean's consent for Michael, he was highly viewed upon and was respected by his angelic family for his constant successes in his angelic duties and assessments. In 5.18 Point Of No Return, Michael terminated his position in the Host but later gave him a final opportunity to secure Dean.
These angels might be referred to as those that did not know about the plan to support the Apocalypse and fought to save the seals, or those who had no active role to play in support or opposition to the plan. Some of them are grouped into Angel Garrisons during Seasons 4 and 5. After the defeat of Lucifer and Michael, the host members split. Some support Raphael's effort to restart the Apocalypse, and others oppose his actions.
- Castiel is an active member of the Host. At first he directs most of his efforts towards following orders. However over time he develops empathy for humans, in particular Dean and Sam Winchester. His superiors demote him as a result, and when he begins to disobey they return him to Heaven for punishment to ensure he remains obedient.
He sacrifices his position in the Host to help Dean try to stop the Apocalypse. He dies twice, and is resurrected both times by God. After his second return, he is given enhanced angelic powers. He then returns to Heaven to help restore order to the Host. In Season 6, he fights in opposition to Raphael.
- Joshua is an angel who talks with God, although they don't converse face to face. Joshua is the keeper and guardian of Eden; he says some refer to it as "God's Throne Room". He is referred to as a gardener.
- Uriel is first introduced as being a "specialist" under Castiel's command. He is promoted over Castiel when the latter is perceived to be getting to close to humanity. Uriel finally reveals that he supports the rise of Lucifer - not so that Michael can defeat him, but so that the angels may follow Lucifer. Uriel made many attempts to persuade the angels in his garrison (including Castiel) to join his cause. Cas refused, and attacks the other angel. Uriel gets the upper hand, but is prevented from slaying Cas when Anna appears and kills him with an Angel Killing Sword.
- Virgil is an angel who protected and managed God's weapons in Heaven as an occupation. Following shortly after the disappearance of the weapons, Raphael deploys him to retrieve the weapons, where he takes a vessel and locates the Winchesters but is eventually left trapped inside the Alternate Earth reality.
- Cupids represent a lower order of angels called Cherubs which are ranked as third class angels. They are weaker than angels and archangels, but have other unique powers, such as the ability to bring the most opposite of people together through love manipulation.
Former Members of The Host
The Angels below left the Host for different reason. See Fallen Angels for more details.
- Lucifer was an executive member of the Host. Soon after God created humans, he was banished for disobeying God's orders.
- Gabriel was an executive member of the Host. Soon after the start of hostilities between Lucifer and Heaven, he left the heavenly establishment and fled to Earth and reconfigured his identity to match that of a common Trickster's.
- Anna was an active member on the Host. She began longing for independence, so she decided to fall to Earth. She removed her grace and turned human. Anna was a superior of Castiel and Uriel.
- Balthazar was previously a member of the Host, and a friend of Castiel.
Go ahead! Get it over with. I’m ready. Wait, what? Yes! Anything, of course! Just—just put me back in. You won’t regret it. Thank you! Thank you!