Cocombat, I like what you've done with the meta section, but I'm still not entirely sure about it. Maybe just the term, 'meta' kind of makes me feel iffy about it. Documenting John's relationship to the hunting world seems reasonable, but documenting his relationship with his sons toes the line a bit more. I don't know. I don't even know *why* I feel iffy about it!!
I think it could work on other pages too, except for the issue of doubling up information. And getting opinionated (for example, if you went into detail about the relationships between the Winchesters you could get some strongly differing opinions, which would lead to the question of extensive speculation vs. canon - for example, when discussing how exactly the boys were raised, which we never actually see in depth in canon!), which could be problematic.
I like the Roadhouse section on John's page because it lists dialogue and dates that we hear in CANON (same with the hunters section). the Sam and Dean sections - not so sure. I mean, on the Sam and Dean pages there are significant dates/pre-series information that we're given - again, documenting what we're given in canon, drawing all the information together to create a source for people to form their own conclusions, as opposed to airing their conclusions on the pages themselves.
How about turning the character pages into Directory pages as well by putting a 'meta' section in that links to meta posts on LJ etc (even threads on message boards)? that would allow all that fan-production and opinion and speculation to be included without compromising the general 'canon, not opinion' "rule" of the wiki. What do you think?
--Angstslashhope 17:25, 27 December 2006 (PST)
- Hmmmm... Meta might be a little too much of an in-fan term. Possibly "John's Character, and relationships with Others"? John analysis?
- And actually, I think I totally get what you mean. John's relationship with his sons is way too big and nuanced to summarise down to a one paragraph description, and putting it on the wiki feels like making it 'definitive'. With hunters, and the roadhouse, there's just that much less content, we can more accurately sum it up.
- On the otherhand, we do provide summaries for episodes etc... *rubs forehead*
- Ok, yeah, I'm totally into having sections for meta posts, as long as it's not me doing the linking. ;) (That was kinda my intention with those sections - summary, then links to meta, but it was easier just to link to John meta, rather than sort through the links). Ok, so wait, is the plan to keep the categories (minus the crappy summaries), and under them link to outside meta entries? Or just have a John meta section?
- Now that I've seen the heavy meta memories, I'm thinking linking the episode memories to episode pages might be pretty useful too.
- Anyway, as you've probably guessed, I was inspired by the crazy wiki-phantom hijacker, and wanted to see if I could make their stuff more constructive, but meh, now that I've tried, I just don't like how those summaries work. I think if I was going to do it, I'd just link to key dialogue snippets. Oh, and definately no doubling up. That's what links are for, even if they're more awkward.
- Gah! I wrote this yesterday, but I have a hundred or so tabs open, and I thought I'd already posted this. :P
- -Cocombat 22:04, 28 December 2006 (PST)
Date of Death
Watching In My Time of Dying, the camera zooms in on the heart monitor after John dies, and it lists the date as 19 JUL 06.
Screenshot 711 on this page also shows this. Is that enough to get the date of John's death officially changed? (I've never done this before.)
- Ryo girl 18:11, 19 September 2008 (PDT)