Dean: Alright, so what do we know about this thing?
Sam: Well, uh, it was fast and it freaked when I cut it with silver.Sam: A ghoul? A zombie, a shifter, or about a dozen other things.
Dean: Alright, so that narrows it down to...
Silver in Supernatural
Dozens of creatures are vulnerable to weapons made of silver.
Silver bullets are used to dispatch:
- Madison and Glen, the werewolves in 2.17 Heart by Dean, as well as a werewolf Sam and Dean hunted as teenagers.
- The shapeshifters in 1.06 Skin, 4.05 Monster Movie and 6.02 Two and a Half Men by Dean, Jamie and Sam.
- Skinwalkers in 6.08 All Dogs Go to Heaven by Sam and Dean. Lucky is shot, but survives.
- Professor Ludensky the werewolf in 8.04 Bitten by Dean.
- Joy Myers the werewolf in 9.12 Sharp Teeth by Dean.
- The shapeshifter Olivia by Dean in 10.06 Ask Jeeves
- Sam and Dean use silver against the nachzehrers they encounter. However, it just slows them down in 11.04 Baby
- Dean uses silver bullets on a qareen, believing it to be a shapeshifter in 11.13 Love Hurts.
- During a fight with two werewolves, Sam is shot with a silver bullet from his own gun. He later uses a silver bullet to kill Corbin Tilghman in 11.17 Red Meat
- Mary uses silver loaded buckshot to kill a werewolf in 12.06 Celebrating the Life of Asa Fox.
Silver blades, even those with a thin layer of silver plate on the exterior, are effective against:
- Another shapeshifter that is killed with a silver letter opener in 2.12 Nightshifter by Dean.
- The wraith in 5.11 Sam, Interrupted by Dean with a silver-plated letter opener.
- The djinn in 2.20 What Is and What Should Never Be, 6.01 Exile on Main St. and 8.20 Pac-Man Fever, by Dean, Samuel Campbell and Sam
- Sam and Dean attempt to use it against a lamia in 6.04 Weekend at Bobby's but are not able to secure the necessary blessing.
- Werewolf Michael Wheeler by Brian Wilcox in 8.04 Bitten.
- Werewolves Sheriff Pat, Russ and Joba by Dean in 9.12 Sharp Teeth
- Alonso the pishtaco in 9.13 The Purge by Dean.
- A shapeshifter by Sam in 9.16 Blade Runners
- Irv Sokolowski uses a clawed glove with silver blades to kill the shapeshifter Sal Lassiter as well as other unknown monsters.
- Werewolves Brandon and Travis by Sam and Tasha by Kate in 10.04 Paper Moon
- Two unnamed werewolves and Rose by Sam and one unnamed werewolf by Dean in 11.17 Red Meat.
Silver stakes are also used to "kill" zombies in 2.04 Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things and 4.07 It's the Great Pumpkin, Sam Winchester; in the former, silver bullets weakened the zombie but did not kill it.
Silver does not need to kill the monster to have an effect on it. Wraiths burn when silver touches their skin. the skinwalker Lucky in 6.08 All Dogs Go to Heaven is restrained by Sam and Dean using silver chains. When confronted with a new, unknown monster, Dean suggests that silver bullets are their best chance.
Silver is therefore a useful test for hunters that allows them to see if they are dealing with a human. When Dean returns from Hell Dean cuts himself with a silver blade to try and demonstrate his humanity as does Sam on his return from Lucifer's Cage. In 4.19 Jump the Shark, Dean replaces the diner cutlery with silver utensils to test whether Adam Milligan is human. He does not react to the silver, but is not human. He is in fact a ghoul, a being unaffected by silver, pretending to be Adam. The Alpha Shapeshifter also appears to be immune to silver, as are leviathans. Sam and Dean use what they believe to be silver butter knives to test for a shapeshifter in 10.06 Ask Jeeves, but the knives are really stainless steel so it has no effect.
Silver in History and Lore
Silver is a white, elemental metal believed to have been mined as early as 4000 B.C. It has been used for jewelry, tableware, coins, and dentistry. Silver is also valued, both in ancient and modern times, for its antimicrobial properties. Silver coins were sometimes placed in water barrels to prevent fouling, and surgical instruments can have a silver coating.
Traditionally, silver is associated with water, the moon, and moon goddesses, such as Selene. Because werewolves are said to change on the moon cycle, this may explain the theory that silver is their weakness.
Silver is appears in several popular sayings, including “Every cloud has a silver lining.” A “silver bullet” is a perfect solution to a problem.