Sam's hair has been an object of fascination and debate for fans throughout the life of the show. His bangs disappeared in Season Two and are sadly missed. According to Jared, this was because Kripke wanted to show Sam as a more mature adult and considered bangs a more boyish hairstyle:
Jared: They wanted Dean to have short hair, and Sam to have long hair, they really did, but the bangs on the forehead - I think they thought looked young. So they wanted [me] to look older.
Around Season Five, when his hair became longer and bigger, fans grew fond of his new shag. It has been a habit of Sam's to slick back his hair with gel when he's impersonating a priest or a law enforcement officer.
Jensen: Have I felt ashamed, because of, about Dean?Jensen: I really just feel ashamed of, uh, of Sam. You know, I mean he’s... it’s like, cut the hair dude… you’re a hunter. It’s just getting in the way, you know? You don’t see military guys walking around with Justin Bieber hair, do you?
Fan: Dean, or another.
At Salute to Supernatural New Jersey 2011, Jared told fans that he hasn't had his hair cut by anyone but Jeannie Chow, the key hairstylist on Supernatural, since the pilot... other than himself and his brother, on one memorable occasion:
Jared: My brother did it during the strike. He cut my skin. My brother's a surgeon, no less.
He also revealed that, if he had control over his current hairstyle, it would probably be longer.
Jared again reflected on Sam's hair styles at the Nerd HQ session at Comic Con 2011. When asked what his favorite hairstyle was, he said that he liked Season 1 because his bangs covered his large forehead (aka, his fivehead), and it was short.
On his Season 7 style, Jared said in an interview on 6 September 2011 with Inside TV that "now that Sam’s older, they definitely style it more than let it be floppy and frumpy."
...back in season 1, I was just this 23-year-old kid but I was also 6′ 4”. I had the body of a man but a face of a boy, and they wanted me to be more a boy than a man. So they gave me the original Bieber look. Maybe Bieber stole it from me — the whole hair-in-the-eyes, “I think I’m too sexy” attitude.
Jared added "It’s taken on a life of its own. I think one day my hair and the Impala are going to have re-negotiations for season 7."
In Season 8, the CW released a promo for Supernatural that made fun of Sam's flowing locks.
After Castiel said that he would stay in their room, Dean jokingly suggests they braid Sam's hair.
Dean asks Sam to give him five minutes with some clippers to cut his hair, but Sam tells him to shut up.
Sarah Blake tells Sam that she misses his old haircut.
While Dean distracts Suzie, she describes Sam as being a "A tall, white fella. Pretty hair."
Mary cuts her hair to get rid of the disadvantage of having long, pullable hair. Dean tells her that he has been saying the same thing to Sam.
Lucifer calls Sam's hair magnificent and asks if he uses a leave-in conditioner.
Dean calls Sam's hair "Disney Princess" hair as they leave the hotel. He notes that Sam's been hit in the head a few times lately, and cautions him that his hair only gives him a small amount padding.
- Bitch Face
- Castiel's Hair
- Chest Hair
- Dean's Hair
- Puppy Dog Eyes
- Shirtless Scenes
For in depth explorations of Sam's hair, with appropriate and extensive pictorial evidence:
- Can you get guess the season based on Sam's hair? by Buzzfeed
- The Evolution of Sam Winchester's Hair Seasons 1-2 and Seasons 3-5, Season 5 second half, and Season 6 hair by jessm78
- Sam's hair and how it changes over Season One and Season Two by jkelly13
- Video showcasing Sam/Jared's hair by ash48
- Paddyhair pwns a community celebrating Jared's hair.
- Shrine of Sammy's hair a community for The Sam Winchester hair.
- Will Jared Padalecki ever cut his hair? by stylebistro
- The Evolution of Sam Winchesters Hair by katiesworldorder
- Sam's hair by seasons - art by verkoka
- The Enigma of Sam Winchester's Hair, The Season Five Enigma of Sam Winchester's Hair, and The Season Six Enigma of Sam Winchester's Hair by Alice Jester of The Winchester Family Business
- Sam's hair through the seasons by freshfromthe
- The Symbolism in Sam's Hair by S.E. Hinton Posted on Twitter Jan 15, 2011
- Choose a new hairstyle for Jared generator by vongue
- The evolution of Jared's hair by Buzzfeed
- Padahairporn tumblr celebrating Jared's hair
- How well do you know Sam's hair?
- Jared and Jensen talk Sam's best hair