Some entities in Supernatural are so powerful that they can change the nature of reality or the perception of reality to suit their own ends, whether for deception or amusement. This 'warping' can take the form of alternate universes, time loops, or transformations of the natural to the supernatural. Not all alterations are initially clear. Beings with the power to affect reality or the way in which characters see it include angels and archangels, some demons, djinn, wraiths, Jesse Turner the Cambion, and a few unique objects.
Notable instances include:
- 2.15 Tall Tales - The Trickster creates scenarios drawn from the pages of the Weekly World News to punish people he dislikes and to defend himself.
- 2.20 What Is and What Should Never Be - The wish-verse, in which Dean, affected by djinn poison, hallucinates a world in which this mother never died, and his father never became a hunter.
- 2.21 All Hell Breaks Loose: Part One - Azazel immerses Sam in a recreation of his mother's death.
- 3.03 Bad Day at Black Rock - The rabbit's foot makes people lucky when they have it, and will kill them with bad luck if they lose it.
- 3.11 Mystery Spot - The Trickster traps Sam and Dean in a time loop in which Dean dies everyday.
- 4.08 Wishful Thinking - A magic wishing coin grants the wish of the person that throws it in a well, and every person who wishes in the well thereafter.
- 4.17 It's a Terrible Life - Zachariah deposits Sam and Dean in a life where they are not hunters, or even brothers.
- 5.04 The End - Zachariah strikes again, this time showing Dean a possible future in which the world is ending at Lucifer's hands.
- 5.06 I Believe the Children Are Our Future - Jesse Turner, a young cambion is unconsciously enforcing his beliefs, including the lethality of joy buzzers and itching powder, on the world around him. When threatened, he turns Castiel into an action figure.
- 5.08 Changing Channels - The Trickster places Sam and Dean in a world created from TV shows, and goes so far as to turn Sam into the Sampala.
- 5.11 Sam, Interrupted - A wraith preys on Sam and Dean, causing them to hallucinate.
- 6.15 The French Mistake - Balthazar throws the brothers into an alternate universe where Supernatural is a television series.
- 6.17 My Heart Will Go On - Balthazar's interference in saving the Titanic, in order to assist Castiel by creating a number of souls, creates an alternate timeline.
- 8.08 Hunteri Heroici - Fred Jones, suffering from dementia, has retreated into his mind and the world of cartoons. Psychokinetic when younger, this ability now causes elements of the cartoon world to be effect reality.