Sam: Man, we’re not kids anymore, Dean. We’re not gonna start that crap up again.
Dean: Start what up?Dean: Oh, bring it on, Baldy.
Sam: That prank stuff—it’s stupid, and it always escalates.
Dean: Oh, what’s the matter, Sammy, you afraid you’re gonna get a little Nair in your shampoo again, huh?
Sam: All right. Just remember, you started it.
– , 1.17 Hell House
Supernatural has a great tradition of pranks both on the Show, and behind the scenes.
Pranks on the Show
In 1.17 Hell House, Dean pops a spoon in Sam's mouth while he sleeps in the car and snaps a photo of it - and the prank war is on! There is obviously a long history of this between the brothers - Dean refers to putting Nair in Sam's shampoo. Next up Sam messes with the Impalaso when Dean turns on the ignition, salsa music blares from the radio and the windscreen wipers start up. Dean retaliates with itching powder in Sam's underwear. Not to be outdone, Sam puts superglue on Dean's beer bottle so it sticks to his hand.
Finally Sam and Dean call a truce and turn their attentions to Ed Zeddmore and Harry Spangler , with Sam calling them posing as Hollywood producer who wants to option their website, and make a movie and RPG based on them. Dean puts a dead fish in their back seat.
Pranks behind the Scenes
The Gag Reels featured on each Season's DVDs give a pretty good idea of the fun to be had behind the scenes on Supernatural.
Fandom got an idea that organised pranks were a part of the Supernatural set from the Season 2 Gag reel. During the filming of 2.06 No Exit, as Jensen and then Jared climb down into a narrow, vertical concrete manhole, the crew under direction of Kim Manners dumped gallons of cold water down on them.
- Salute to Supernatural Dallas 2008: [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjLwowESR70 Jared talks about Jensen using fart spray on him (and then they both used it on Kim
- Salute to Supernatural L.A. 2009: Jared says his fav prank was setting Jensen up to do the "Eye of the Tiger"
- Jensen miming to "Eye of the Tiger" at the end of 4.06 Yellow Fever
The Underwear Prank
At Salute to Supernatural Chicago 2009, Richard J Spieght told the story of finding a pair of pumpkin colored briefs in his trailer. He thinks its a prank by Jared and Jensen, but finds out that they were a Misha's. One day he'd spilled soup on his pants and had to change and the only spare briefs he had were the pumpkin colored ones - a gift from a fan! The Wardrobe Department had later laundered them and put them in Richard's trailer by mistake.
Before the Jus In Bello Italy 2010 in April 2010, Richard encouraged fans to "show Misha how much you care by bringing him a pair of men's bikini brief underwear"
- The underwear prank: from ChiCon 2009 to Jus In Bello by katwoman76
- The Orange Undie Prank by rogueslayer452
- Richard Speight Jr. planning the underwear prank at the Welcome party, Misha Collins & the orange underwear Part 1 & Part 2, Misha Collins crashing the J2 panel by stagie
- Misha Collins & his undies by Saboteur73
- Richard Speight Jr. explaining the underwear prank by cim4clam
On return from Europe on April 28, Misha posted a picture of himself with the underwear.