|Powers and Abilities||Incineration by touch, immortality.|
|Vulnerabilities||The Colt, iron|
A phoenix is a powerful being who appeared human. The phoenix possessed the ability to incinerate things through touch and was immune to conventional methods of killing humans. The phoenix will combust upon death and form a pile of ashes, the ashes can be used to kill, Eve, the Mother of All. Due to the toxic nature to Eve, the phoenix was the only of it's species created.
Powers and abilities
- Incineration - With a single touch, the phoenix was capable of of rendering a human to ashes.
- Immortality - The phoenix was long lived and impervious to things that would kill a human (gunshot, hanging).
- The Colt - Is the only weapon that was capable of killing the phoenix.
- Iron - Like most monsters, the phoenix was vulnerable to iron, which caused it's flesh to bun upon contact.
Sam and Dean travel back to 1861 to retrieve the ashes from a phoenix that will be shot by the famous hunter Samuel Colt. They arrive just as Elias Finch is hanged, and he "dies" swearing vengeance on the sheriff, judge and deputy. That night Elias rises from his grave. The judge is the first to die, incinerated by Elias' touch. The sheriff dies soon after in the same fashion, despite shooting Elias several times with his gun. The next day, Elias finds the deputy cowering in a jail cell, protected by Dean.
Elias explains to Dean that he was framed for the murder of his wife. While the couple were visiting the town, the deputy tried to rape Elias' wife, and when he intervened the deputy shot her and Elias. She died in Elias' arms however, being a phoenix, the gunshot didn't harm him. The deputy then conspired with the judge and sheriff and accused Elias of killing his wife. He was unable to escape as he was bound with iron shackles.
He is unable to get to the deputy due to the iron bars surrounding him, so he grabs a gun and shoots the deputy instead. Dean flees and runs into Sam, who has retrieved the Colt from Samuel Colt. Dean and Elias face off in classic cowboy style, resulting in Dean killing Elias. The shot from the Colt causes him to incinerate leaving a pile of ash. The brothers were brought back before they could retrieve the phoenix's ashes, however, Samuel Colt arranges for a package to be delivered to Sam in 2011, containing the ashes.
- According to writer Andrew Dabb, the phoenix was akin to a cancerous tumor to Eve, explaining:
- "It's born from her body, but it's toxic to her. She cast it out, and it's hated by all monsters because it's poisonous to their mother. The phoenix has been on the run for thousands of years."
The Phoenix in Lore
The phoenix is a beautiful, colorful fire-bird found in cultures including Greek, Persian and Chinese. It is very long-lived, and near the end of its life it builds a nest. The bird and the nest then combust, and from the ashes a new phoenix is born. In some few stories the bird can take human form.