Motels: Season 1
The places Sam and Dean stay during each episode provides a very important backdrop to each episode. Whether they stay in a motel, squat, stay at Bobby's or sleep in the car, it serves to remind us of their nomadic existence. The sets are always excellent, with wonderful attention to detail, the work of Production Designer Jerry Wanek and Art Director John Marcynuk.
The motels in particular have become a signature of the show with each one having a different theme and the set detail often containing in-jokes that only the most dedicated fan will get. Jensen said of the motel rooms: "Jerry Wanek's just a crazy guy, and likes to use his talents when he gets the ability to, and the motel rooms are his passion. source."
This entry also lists places the boys travel to in each episode.
- Jensen talks about the motel sets - June 2008.
- Motel and Inns of Supernatural: Season 1 picspam by Bellanut
- Gimme Shelter: Motel and Inns of Supernatural: Season 2 picspam by Bellanut
- Gimme Shelter: Motel and Inns of Supernatural: Season 3 by Bellanut
- Wherever I Lay My Hat: Accommodation of Supernatural: Season 4 by Ash48
- You Can Check Out Anytime You Like: Season 5 Accommodations by Ash48
- But You Can Never Leave: Season 6 Accommodations by Ash48
- Rock, Wallpaper, Sofas: Season 7 Accommodations by Ash48
- I Had to Stop for the Night: Season 8 Motels by Ash48
- Love Shack fanvid by Ash48
- Sam and Dean's Bedrooms - Humorous Look at the Best Motel Wallpapers in Seasons 1-7 by Nightsky.
- “Get a Room!” Supernatural’s Season 9 Motel Rooms - Part One by Wednesday for The Winchester Family Business.
- “Get a Room!” Supernatural’s Season 9 Motel Rooms- Part Two by Wednesday for The Winchester Family Business.
- “Get a Room!” Supernatural’s Season 10 Motel Rooms - Part One by Wednesday for The Winchester Family Business.
- “Get a Room!” Supernatural’s Season 10 Motel Rooms- PART Two by Wednesday for The Winchester Family Business.
- “Get a Room!” Supernatural Season 11 Motel Rooms - Part One by Wednesday for The Winchester Family Business.
- “Get a Room!” Supernatural’s Season 11 Motels - Part Two by Wednesday for The Winchester Family Business.
|Episode||Accommodation/ Motel name||Motel Location & Other Locations||Trivia||Picture|
|1.01 Pilot||Childhood home
Stanford University apartment (Sam)
| Lawrence, Kansas
Palo Alto, California
Jericho, California (fictional)
|The first motel they visit is one where John had been living.
John's motel room is papered with articles. One is about a Cambion suggested John was speculating on Sam's heritage. Another is about Constance Welch. The article says a neighbor described Constance as a 'quiet but very lovely woman'. This neighbor is named Deanna Kripke - the name of Eric Kripke's wife
|1.02 Wendigo||Unnamed motel||Grand Junction, Colorado
Also: Black Water Ridge, Colorado
|Never get to see inside the room, just the hallway.|
|1.03 Dead in the Water||The Lynwood Inn (exterior only)
The Lake Front Motel
Lake Manitoc, Wisconsin (fictional)
|The hotel that Amy recommended.|
|1.04 Phantom Traveler||Unnamed motel #1
Unnamed motel #2
Also: Lehigh Calley Airport, Pennsylvania
|Two different hotels – same bedding used.|
|1.05 Bloody Mary||Unnamed motel||Toledo, Ohio
Also: Fort Wayne, Indiana
|Starburst clock first makes its appearance. Also used in 1.13, 1.14, 3.10|
|1.06 Skin||None||St. Louis. Missouri||Stayed with Rebecca maybe?|
|1.07 Hook Man||Eastern Iowa University dorm (fictional)||Ankeny, Iowa||It's suggested they stay at the uni. "We're your new roommates".|
|1.08 Bugs||Squat in a new home||Oasis Plains, Oklahoma (fictional)
Also: Atoka Valley Sapulpa, OK (fictional)
|Dean loves the shower.|
|1.09 Home||Sleep Easy Motel||Undisclosed
Also: Lawrence Kansas
|Wallpaper re-used in 1.12|
|1.10 Asylum||Unnamed motel|| Undisclosed
and then Rockford, Illinois
|Bedding used in 1.10, 1.11, 2.09 and 2.20|
|1.11 Scarecrow||Unnamed motel (same as 1.10)||Undisclosed
and then Burkittsville, Indiana (fictional)
|1.12 Faith|| Unnamed #1
|Wallpaper also used in 1.09|
|1.13 Route 666||Unnamed motel||Cape Girardeau, Missouri
Starts in Bismark, Kentucky
|Boys get dressed in suits!|
|1.14 Nightmare|| Unnamed
The name is a nod to the film Escanaba in da Moonlight set in a deer camp.
|1.15 The Benders||None||Hibbing, Minnesota|
|1.16 Shadow||Danny's Inn||Chicago, Illinois|
|1.17 Hell House||Wyeth's Western Inn||Richardson Texas||Wild West theme including steer skull on wall and stuffed armadillo. If you look closely you will see even Sam's towel has cowboys on it.|
|1.18 Something Wicked|| 2400 Court Motel
The Kingpin Motel (flashback)
Fort Douglas, Wisconsin
|Sam’s whippet t-shirt! :D
Flashback: Bowling theme. (possibly a homage to the movie Kingpin).
|1.19 Provenance||The Boogie Inn||New Paltz, New York||Dance theme!
Lamps also re-used in 2.10
|1.20 Dead Man's Blood||Unnamed motel|| Manning, Colorado
Starts in Nebraska
|1.21 Salvation|| Unnamed #1 (same as 1.20)
Salvation, Iowa Also: Blue Earth, Minnesota Lincoln, Nebraska
|1.22 Devil's Trap|| Unnamed motel(same as 1.21)
Also: Lincoln, Nebraska Jefferson City, Missouri Unknown rural location in South Dakota & Missouri
|Picture on Bobby’s wall also seen in 1.16|