Madge and Edward Carrigan
|Name||Madge and Edward Carrigan|
|Actor|| Merrilyn Gann (Madge Carrigan)|
Spencer Garrett (Edward Carrigan)
|Dates||???? - 2007 (killed by Sam and Dean Winchester)|
|Occupation||Teutonic gods: Hold Nickar|
|Episode(s)||3.08 A Very Supernatural Christmas|
Madge Carrigan and her husband Edward are actually pagan gods, who have "assimilated" into human life for most of the year, except at Christmas where they take human sacrifices as tributes. They play bridge on Tuesdays and Fridays. They are Hold Nickar, gods of the winter solstice.
Powers and Abilities
- They both possess a degree of enhanced strength and speed that greatly exceeds the strength of humans.
- When they are given tributes, they bring mild weather.
- An evergreen stake through the heart.
- Light shone on them will show their true faces.
Madge makes wreaths out of meadowsweet, and the people who buy the wreaths are taken for sacrifices. When she and Edward Carrigan find Sam and Dean snooping around in their blood-splattered basement, they take the brothers prisoner and start their ritual preparation for sacrifice. This involves cutting them both to obtain blood. Edward pulls out one of Sam's fingernails and is about to pull one of Dean's teeth when they are distracted by the doorbell, and the brothers are able to escape their bonds. Dean stabs Edward with a branch from a Christmas tree while Sam stabs Madge with another branch, killing them.
Hold Nickar in Lore
- Dana Larsen's Modern Christmas traditions are based on ancient mushroom-using shamans.
- Axiom's Santa Claus Is Coming to Town from the December 2004 issue of The Pagan Heart: Myth, Magic, and Madness.