Moderator: Kim, how did you became involved with the Supernatural?
Kim: I read for Sam.Kim: David Nutter, who directed the pilot is a good friend, he did Season One of X-Files and he called and asked if I would do a favor and come in and do one episode. Cause I was kind of semi-retired after X-Files. Very semi-retired. And I came in and did a show called Dead in the Water, enjoyed myself. I fell in love with Jan and Dean or is it Sam and Dean? I was driving home and they called me if I wanted to come on as a part of the team and I turned around and here I am.
Jared: Did everybody read for Sam?!
– , On how he got involved in Supernatural from the William S. Paley Television Festival 2006 (transcript)
Kim Manners was a director and executive producer on Supernatural. He directed 1.03 Dead in the Water and following this, Kim was asked to come onboard as an executive producer, running the production in Vancouver. Kim directed 17 epsiodes of Supernatural.
Impact on the Series
Kim Manners had a long career in television starting on series such as Charlie's Angels and 21 Jump Street. He became widely known among fans for his many years of work as a director and producer on The X-Files.
There is no doubt Manners shaped Supernatural in many ways from his influence on the culture of the crew in Vancouver, to his creative input as director. The accolades from everyone who worked with him, from crew through actors to showrunners, reflected a man who worked hard but always made sure those around him enjoyed their work. Both Jared and Jensen often quote Kim's line "We spend way too much time with each other not to enjoy each others' company".
When Jensen directed for the first time on 6.04 Weekend at Bobby's he attributed much of what he brought to the task from what he'd learned from Manners. He also realted that in the first season of the show, Manners said to him "You’re gonna direct one of these...I said, ‘Oh, OK, Kim. Yeah, sure.’ He said, ‘You will. And when you do that, I’ll be right there.’ Source.
Kim was diagnosed with lung cancer as Season Four started filming and the last episode he directed was 4.04 Metamorphosis in late 2008. He died on 25 January 2009 in L.A.
The Manners family requested that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to The American Cancer Society in Memory of Kim. Supernatural fans on Livejournal donated $1650 to the The American Cancer Society within a week of his death. (See also Charity Projects).
After his death, a number of tributes appeared:
- The episode 4.15 Death Takes a Holiday ended with slides dedicating Season Four to Manners, ending with a slide that said simply "We miss you, Kim".
- In 4.19 Jump the Shark a display card in the room advertises happy hour at the Sonny Buono lounge and features a pic of a mustached Kim Manners. There was also an upside-down "KM" carved into the wooden paddle section of the room divider in the motel room.
- At the Salute to Supernatural L.A. 2009 Jensen and Jared mentioned that in honor of Kim the crew had undertaken a mustache growing competition.
- In 5.10 Abandon All Hope..., Ellen's parting words to Dean are "Kick it in the ass!" - a deliberate use according to Sam Ferris, of Kim's signature line.
- In 5.22 Swan Song, the tape Dean loads into the cassette deck in the Impala as he drives into Stull Cemetery to face Lucifer and help Sam, is labeled Kick it in the ass!
- In 7.20 The Girl with the Dungeons and Dragons Tattoo, Charlie uses the phrase Kick it in the ass!. The line was originally Kick Ass, but actor Felicia Day changed it on suggestion of director Johnny MacCarthy source.
At the 100th episode party, on Saturday January 30th, the cast and crew of Supernatural celebrated the 100th episode of the series, including an unfurling of 3 banners, one of which was a tribute to Kim.
- 1.03 Dead in the Water
- 1.08 Bugs
- 1.11 Scarecrow
- 1.16 Shadow
- 1.22 Devil's Trap
- 2.01 In My Time of Dying
- 2.04 Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things
- 2.06 No Exit
- 2.13 Houses of the Holy
- 2.17 Heart
- 2.22 All Hell Breaks Loose: Part Two
- 3.01 The Magnificent Seven
- 3.07 Fresh Blood
- 3.11 Mystery Spot
- 3.16 No Rest for the Wicked
- 4.01 Lazarus Rising
- 4.04 Metamorphosis
Kim appeared on the Season 2 DVD doing the episode commentary for 2.01 In My Time of Dying with Jared, Jensen and Cyrus Yavneh.
Kim's prank on Jared and Jensen, involving gallons of freezing water, during the filming of 2.06 No Exit featured in the gag reel on the Season 2 DVD.
He also did a special comments piece on 3.01 The Magnificent Seven on the Season 3 DVD.
Kim in Fandom
Clips, Articles and Interviews
- 2002 Article on Kim Manners shooting his 50th X-Files episode
- March 4, 2006 Kim on the Supernatural Panel at the Paley Festival
- The Bee Story Jared and Jensen talk about filming the scene with bees in 1.08 Bugs with Kim Manners.
- April 3, 2007 Manners Interview with meevee
- April 5, 2007 Jensen Interview with meevee
- April 17, 2007 Interview with TV Squad
- February, 2007 Interview by DW SciFi with Kim at the beginning of Season 2
- November 2007 Jared talks about pranks and Kim at Chicago Con
- Video interview with Jason C. of The CW Source.
- Season 2 gag reel featuring Kim pranking Jared and Jensen
- January, 2008 Jared talks about working with Kim at Fangoria Texas 2008
- Kim talks about filming 3.01 The Magnificent Seven from the Season 3 DVD
- September 17, 2008 Interview about Season 4 with zapit
- January 26, 2009
- Kripke speaks on the death of Kim Manners at BuddyTV
- Obituary for Kim Manners at Chicago Tribune
- Jim Beaver's tribute to Kim
- tribute from Frank Spotnitz
- Obituary at Entertainment Weekly
- Obituary at Monsters and Critics
- Obit at Eclipse Magazine
- Obit at TVGuide
- Obituary at IGN
- Obituary at shocktilyoudrop
- Podcast in tribute of Kim at Winchester Radio
- Obituary atThe Collider
- Obituary at endofshow
- Obituary at The Insider
- Tribute at Cryptomundo
- Obituary at Ain'tItCoolNews
- Obituary at FEAR.net
- Obituary at ohnotheydidnt
- Fans of Gillian Anderson organise donations for the American Lung Association in Kim's memory
- January 27, 2009
- Obituary by TVGuy from Canada.com
- In Memorium - BlogCritics.org
- Tribute from the CW Source
- Report via LJ user canadiangoddess from Julie who works on the show in Set Design.
- In Memory of Kim Manners by Jesterz.net
- Obituary by Rae at ramblingsofatvwhore
- Obituary for Kim Manners by Kimmy
- Tribute to Kim by dairwendan
- January 28, 2009
- Obituary at E!Online
- Picspam tribute to Kim's directorial work on Supernatural by bellanut
- Obituary from Alex Stachan at CanWest News
- Obituary from Reuters
- Blogpost from Sam Ferris
- February 1, 2009
- Facebook memorial page to Kim featuring photos from fans and colleagues
- February 4, 2009
- tribute video to Kim's work on Supernatural by deirdre_c
- March 7, 2009
- "...a storyteller who spoke with his camera..." Part One and Part Two. A picspam looking at Kim's direction of Season One and Two episodes by coltshot1