Stronger Than Storms
Stronger Than Storms is a fundraiser set up in response to Hurricane Harvey, a tropical cyclone that hit Texas on the 26th August causing catastrophic flooding. Supernatural has a special connection with the state, as both Jared and Jensen were born and still live in the state. On 27th August, the The Family Business Brew Company owned by Jensen, Danneel and her brother Gino set up a flood and hurricane relief in partnership with Random Acts. The Ackles Family contributed $50k to the effort. In less than 48 hours over $200,000 had been raised. As of 1st September $358,000 had been raised. After a week the project teamed with the CW Network, and the stars of other shows began promoting the fundraiser. The fundraiser expanded to provide support to those communities hot by Hurricane Irma. By 22nd September the total was at over $440,000.
The Ackles Family contributed $50k to the effort (not included in these totals).
In addition, Stronger Than Storms paired with Pop and Suki and produced a Paperclip Chain necklace, as symbol of the support and unity. All proceeds go to Stronger Than Storms, a campaign by Family Business Beer Co and Random Acts. As of 20/9 over $30,000 had been raised.
- Jared, Jensen, Misha and Richard thank the fandom for their contributions as donations start rolling in.
- Jensen thanks fandom as donations pass $100k
- Danneel and JJ thanks fans for their support
- Thanks from Jensen after the fundraiser past $250k
Coverage of the fundraising was reported in the media:
- Hollywood rallies for Harvey relief effort by CNN
- Supernatural stars raise more than 100K for Hurricane Harvey relief by EW
- Supernatural Stars Raise Over $225k for Hurricane Harvey Relief by TVGuide
The SPNFamily also assisted the Coast Guard saving over 3,000 people through updates to the rescue database. GISHWHES supporters also opened their homes to people who needed shelter.