Sam: The thing is, with the old gods, once upon a time they were – they were just short of invincible. But they got a lot of their mojo from worshipers, from people feeding them.
Jody Mills: These days, not so much.Sam: Right, they're not what they used to be. But they make up for lack of power with being twice as pissed and a lot more hands-on.
Deities or gods are powerful supernatural beings representing the dominant authority of a religion. The major deity featured in Supernatural is that of the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam), who is referred to as God.
Kali shows disgust for Westerners and their belief that they have the right to leadership in their own God's name, accusing them of butchery. She also states that she and the other gods' religions were practiced before his.
List of Deities
Throughout the Supernatural series, there have been many deities encountered including:
- After taking in all the souls from Purgatory, Castiel declares himself the new God.
- One of the three Fates, along with her two sisters.
- Anansi (West African)
- Baron Samedi (Haitian Voodoo)
- Cacao (Mayan)
- Eve (the Mother of All Monsters)
- Madge and Edward Carrigan (Teutonic)
- Leshii (Slavic)
- Tiamat (Babylonian)
- Trickster (also known as "Loki", from many cultures)
- Zao Shen (Chinese)
- One unnamed god from 5.19 Hammer of the Gods.
Death of Deities
In some traditions, particularly monotheistic religions, deities and gods are thought of as being immortal and all powerful. However, in Supernatural the deities can be killed by humans, other deities, and angels. Death claims that God will one day die.
- With the help of Sam and Dean, Emily burns the first tree which disenfranchises the Vanir.
- Dean and Sam kill two Pagan gods disguised as Madge and Edward Carrigan, using wooden stakes made from Evergreen trees.
- Sam kills Leshii, by decapitating it using an iron axe.
- Dean kills Zao Shen, using a wooden stake.
- The archangel Lucifer kills Mercury, Baldur, Ganesh, Odin and two unnamed gods.
- Sam kills Veritas, using a knife dipped in dog's blood.
- Dean kills Eve, using phoenix ash.
- Sam stabs Osiris with a ram's horn, which will lead to him being inactive for a couple of centuries.
- Sam kills Chronos with an stake made of olive wood dipped in an unknown blood.
- Beau kills Plutus with a wooden stake.
- Sam kills Mr. Vili with a blow from Mjölnir.
- Zeus kills Prometheus by pulling him in front of one of Artemis' arrows.
- Prometheus kills Zeus by shoving one of Artemis' arrows through himself into Zeus.
- Sheriff Jody Mills kills Vesta with an oak stake stained by the blood of a virgin.
- Sam kills Calliope with a blessed wooden stake.
Gods have true forms of their own, but often appear in human form on Earth. For instance, Ganesh can turn into an elephant (which is his symbol in lore), Veritas seems to have a body of a cat but takes on human form, and Eve, the mother of all monsters, appears hideous in her true form. The pagan gods disguised as Madge and Edward Carrigan actually live as a suburban couple, but when Sam shines a light on them their true visage is shown to have cracking skin and heterochromia iridum affected eyes.
While their powers and abilities vary greatly depending on the type of deity, they all seem to possess some abilities that may be inherent in all gods like immortality, superhuman strength, speed, agility, and senses. Gods like Baldur, Ganesh, Odin, and Zao Shen seem to possess extraordinary strength.
In Supernatural, deities can live forever - for the deities are not subjected to aging, making them immortal but not all powerful. Despite being immortal, they all seem to be vulnerable in some way and can be killed by various weapons or by other beings. Tricksters, immortal demi-god like creatures, can be killed with a wooden stake dipped in the blood of one of it's victims. Atropos, one of the three fates, can be killed by an angelic weapon. Eve can be killed when exposed to phoenix ashes. Mr. Vili is able to be killed by Mjölnir and the weapons of Artemis are able to kill other gods as well. The only known immortal beings that cannot be killed are the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, though this has yet to be confirmed. Death states that even God will someday meet his end:
- Dean: Well I gotta ask: How old are you?
- Death: As old as God. Maybe older. Neither of us can remember anymore. Life, death, chicken, egg – regardless, at the end, I’ll reap Him too.
- Dean: God? You’ll reap God?
- Death: Oh yes. God will die too, Dean.
Some gods possess unique powers: Tricksters can alter reality and make objects, people, and other average organisms appear out of thin air; Kali can produce fire and bind beings to her presence with a glare; Leshii can shapeshift, read human minds, and move at incredible speeds; and Mercury can also move at incredible speeds. God can teleport people anywhere on Earth without being physically present. God also is well known for creating the entire Universe and everything in it, though many gods take umbrage to this as they claim to have been around and worshipped first. Veritas possesses telekinesis, the agility and speed of a cat, and can cause any human to speak only the truth. However, Sam Winchester was able to withstand this power when he didn't have his soul.
Other pagan gods are able to influence the weather and vegetation positively and negatively as well, such as the Vanir, who could cause growth and health of the crops, or Madge and Edward Carrigan, who gave mild weather. Both types of gods seemed to be able to perform these in exchange for human sacrifices. Without their sacrifices, the power of the gods waned or failed. Mercury can also influence the growth of vegetation positively or negatively, as demonstrated when a dead herb sprouts in his presence. Leshii, the forest god, plants Balkan seeds inside peoples' stomachs.
Gods in Lore
- 5.19 Hammer Of The Gods
- Unnamed/unconfirmed god from 5.19 Hammer of the Gods
- 8.16 Remember the Titans
- 5.21 Two Minutes to Midnight
- 1.11 Scarecrow
- 3.08 A Very Supernatural Christmas
- 5.05 Fallen Idol
- 6.06 You Can't Handle The Truth
- 6.19 Mommy Dearest
- 7.04 Defending Your Life
- 7.12 Time After Time
- 8.02 What's Up, Tiger Mommy?
- 9.08 Rock and a Hard Place
- 10.05 Fan Fiction
- 6.16 ...And Then There Were None
- 2.15 Tall Tales
- 6.17 My Heart Will Go On
- 5.01 Sympathy for the Devil
Pages in category "Deities"
The following 38 pages are in this category, out of 38 total.
Media in category "Deities"
The following 59 files are in this category, out of 59 total.
- 5x19 00594.jpg
- Amara and dean.jpg
- Delegation of Gods.jpg
- Maya maize god.jpg
- Promo Pic for Fallen I...
- Spn908 0909.jpg