In January 2011, Misha Collins ran a scavenger hunt known as the Rhino Puzzle for fans around the world. At its conclusion he promised to run another scavenger hunt which is GISHWHES - the Greatest International Scavenger Hunt the World Has Ever Seen.
Misha had consulted with the Guinness Book of World records, and to win the record for the 'Worlds Biggest Digital Scavenger Hunt' 500 teams were required to participate. In the end over 6,200 participants from 65 countries signed up to form 621 teams of 10 people. Entry fee was a donation of minimum $10, or an essay to a topic dictated by Misha.
The hunt commenced on November 18th at 2:12 am Moscow Daylight Time and ends at Tuesday, November 29th at 10:44 am.
The items to be collected were to be submitted via pictures, video or websites. The list included items such as Photos of:
- A man or woman balancing 5 red books on their head standing next to a dog (8 points)
- An unconventional, but practical, use of Mayonnaise. (9 points)
- Photograph a bust or statue of Nicolae Ceaușescu wearing a sock monkey hat. (14 points)
- A woman wearing a dress (and only the dress) made entirely from bacon. (43 points)
- A Hooters waitress reading a copy of Betty Friedan’s “The Feminine Mystique.” (41 points)
- A church choir singing “eye of the tiger” in a church. (32 points)
- Attorneys playing musical chairs. (11 points)
- A parrot onstage at a comedy club doing improv. (15 points)
The prize for the winning team was a trip to Rome and dinner with Misha. The winning team was Team #83. Two individual contestants were also chosen to fly to Rome.
The Competition now hold the Guiness Book of Records record for the largest photo scavenger hunt.
Items from the hunt
Some hunt items:
- News report of flying Christmas tree
- report on Pasadena Item #21 by lidlesseye
- pasadena pics Pics from Pasadena Item #21 by j2girl
- Random Act of Kindess - team #147
- A joust in a library
- A task Misha set in LA (item #21) on November 23rd involving building garden beds at Misha's house. Pic #1, Pic #2, #3, Pic #4 plus video of Eye of the Tiger rendition by babserella2778
- 3 teams make it onto the Australian morning news program Sunrise
- Random Act of Kindness with cookies by Team #64
- iPhone app by Team #119
- Team #387: item 161, item #163, item #167, item #182, item #184, item #187, item #194, item #200,
The madness continues in 2012 with GISHWHES 2. The prize this year was a slumber party at a haunted castle in Scotland with Misha.
- FAQ about GISHWHES
- Video from WinchesterBros.com of Misha Collins addressing GISHWHES teams at Second Beach in Vancouver
- Photos from WinchesterBros.com from Misha Collins' GISHWHES event at Second Beach in Vancouver
- Interview with Misha by Guinness World Records