Ever wonder how many times Sam or Dean have worn a particular shirt? How often they buy new clothes? Or just how good their stain-removal/tailoring skills are? Or how about how many times Dean has had to borrow Sam or Bobby's clothing?
If Clothes Could Talk by hells-half-acre catalogues all shirts/jackets/unique t-shirts worn by Sam and Dean Winchester during the series. Currently, the project is complete for seasons one through six.
[Kerry Weinrauch]] is the key costume designer for Supernatural. Previously in the job was Diane Widas.
Clothes Sorted by Type (includes thumbnails):
Clothes Sorted by Season:
Clothes Sorted by Winchester:
There have been a few times that Dean has had to wear either Sam or Bobby's clothes, most notably in 4.01 Lazarus Rising when Dean arrives back from Hell without immediate access to his former belongings.
- The Charcoal Hoodie - possibly the most referenced occasion in fandom, in 1.12 Faith Dean arrives at the motel wearing a charcoal hoodie after discharging himself from the hospital. It is the only time in the series that we see Dean wear a hoodie and there was much speculation that it actually belonged to Sam. Indeed, in 2.12 Nightshifter, we see Sam wearing possibly the same hoodie. The hoodie has even given rise to a fanfic community focusing on Hurt/Comfort stories about Dean called Hoodie Time.
- Sam's Brown Corduroy Jacket
- Sam's Red and Light Grey Medium Plaid Shirt
- Bobby's Long-Necked Henley
- Bobby's Heavy Tan Shirt
A few articles of clothing have stuck out in fans memories over the years, besides the The Charcoal Hoodie. Sometimes for good reasons, such as becoming an iconic character accessory, and sometimes for not-so-good reasons...
- Dean's Leather Jacket (or see the If Clothes Could Talk entry)- Dean's iconic leather jacket that he inherited from John. Stolen in 2010. (A good replica currently at $470).
- Dean's Red Plaid Shirt of Angst - nearly every time Dean wears this shirt, he ends up in tears.
- Sam's Superhero Hoodie - Sam's most iconic hoodie/jacket.
- Sam's Weird Red Flower Shirt - sometimes referred to as Sam's Maternity Shirt, this shirt is hated by some and loved by others, and perplexes everyone. Last seen in Bobby's memories in 7.10 Death's Door.
- Sam's Grey "Heart" Shirt - an example of continuity errors in wardrobe, Sam supposedly shot Madison in 2.17 Heart while she was wearing this shirt, only Sam then begins to wear it again a season later in 3.06 Red Sky at Morning.
- Unique T-shirts including Sam's whippet t-shirt
Charts and Graphs
Starting in S2, we get to see how many new clothes Sam and Dean purchase each year...
(These graphs are based only on the clothing we see in the season, and does not include the clothing that remains packed)
- Clothing by Season of origin
- Dean's new shirts by season by type
- Sam's new shirts by season by type
- Laundry List (Season 1) and Laundry List (Season 2)
- An estimate of how often by the boys wash their clothes by clex_monkie89
- Dean Winchester Clothing Picspam and the Sam Winchester Clothing Picspam bellanut beautifully documents the boys' wardrobe in the first two seasons
- Jared and jensen talk about Sam and Dean's wardrobe at Salute to Supernatural Nashville 2011
- Clothes and the underclass in Supernatural by laespada
- If Clothes Could Talk Project by Hells Half Acre on Livejournal