Characters named after real people
Usually great care is taken to ensure that characters on a TV show are not named after real people. However, occasionally naming is a deliberate shout-out to a real person, and is considered a rare honor.
Additionally in Supernatural, fictionalized versions of real people appeared in 6.15 The French Mistake. See that entry for all the cast and crew who appeared as characters in that episode.
There are also many references to real people -- particularly crew -- in the set decoration of many episodes.
- The character of Bobby Singer was named after producer Robert Singer by Eric Kripke. You can see Bob Singer talk about it here. In 6.15 The French Mistake, Dean says to the fictional version of producer Bob Singer "What kind of a douchebag names a character after himself?"
- Bobby Singer's dog Rumsfeld is named after Donald Rumsfeld, who was the U.S. Secretary of Defense from 2001 - 2006.
- Writer Rachel Nave is also a good friend of Eric Kripke's and Sam's prom date, who was possessed by a demon, was named after her.
- Bartender Jamie who hooks up with Dean in 4.05 Monster Movie is named after fan called Jamie who wrote to Eric Kripke telling him how much she appreciated the show, and how it had helped her deal with her on-going illness.
- In 4.18 The Monster at the End of This Book Dean says, "Although Simpatico says the demon storylines are trite, cliched and overall craptastic..." "Simpatico" was the name of a poster on the Television Without Pity message boards.
- In 4.18 The Monster at the End of This Book, the publisher of [the Supernatural Books]], while not named in the episode, is called Sera Siege, and is named after writers Julie Siege and Sera Gamble -- as mentioned in this interview by Sera Gamble.
- Fangirl Becky Rosen is named after Becky Gilreath, the administrator of the long running Winchester Bros website.
- Chuck's pseudonym -- Carver Edlund -- is an amalgam of the names of Supernatural writers Jeremy Carver and Ben Edlund.
- In 4.12 Criss Angel Is a Douchebag, Vernon and Charlie the Magician are named after Dai Vernon and Charlie Miller, both famous and well respected magicians.
- In 5.09 The Real Ghostbusters, Demian and Barnes -- the fans LARPing Dean and Sam respectively -- are the names of the re-cappers and moderators on the Supernatural forums at Television Without Pity.
- Jenny Klein who is the personal assistant to witch Don Stark, was named after writer Jenny Klein.
- Jackson, the demon causing the accidents to kill people in 7.08 Season Seven, Time for a Wedding! was named after Supernatural writer Jackson Stewart.
- In 8.18 Freaks and Geeks, Krissy Chambers is named after creator Adam Glass' cousin. Other characters in the episode Aiden and Josephine Barnes are named after his children. Adam tweeted: "They love the show and are now part of its mythos."
- The demon Cecily in 9.10 Road Trip is named after Jeremy Carver's assistant, Cecily Schaefer.
- in 9.11 First Born, the hunter Tara was named after crew member Tara Larsen.
- The werewolf Tasha was named after writer Adam Glass' sister.
- In 9.17 Mother's Little Helper, Julia Wilkinson, a former nun from who left the order soon after an incident in 1958 involving Abaddon, Henry Winchester and Josie Sands. Writer Adam Glass named her after Supernatural Wiki admin, Jules Wilkinson.
- In 10.05 Fan Fiction, writer Robbie Thompson named the characters in the high school musical cast after people in his wife’s theater group.
- In 10.11 There's No Place Like Home, it is revealed that Charlie Bradbury's real first name is Celeste -- a tribute by writer Robbie Thompson to his mother.
- The character Nicky Mermaid in 11.08 Just My Imagination was named after writer Nicole Snyder by fellow writer Jenny Klein.
- The young girl captured by a werewolf in 13.10 Wayward Sisters was named Amanda Fitzmartin after Meghan Fitzmartin, who is assistant to showrunner Andrew Dabb.
- Writer Davy Perez revealed in 13.17 The Thing that Yokoth and Glythur's name were a mashup of Shoggoth and Hastur from the Cthulhu mythos, with the names of fellow Supernatural writers Steve Yockey and Meredith Glynn.
- The Apocalypse World hunter Jules introduced in the episode 14.03 The Scar named for Super Wiki Admin Jules Wilkinson by writer Robert Berens.
- The woman killed in the teaser of 15.02 Raising Hell - Nan - is named after Nan Gorecki, who is married to EP and Production Designer Jerry Wanek.