The Wayward Daughters Academy was a fan idea for a Supernatural spin-off that started in April 2015 and has grown into a much larger movement within fandom.
At the end of 9.19 Alex Annie Alexis Ann, Sheriff Jody Mills took Alex Jones, a young woman who had been held captive by a nest of vampires, home to live her. Later, in 10.20 Angel Heart, Claire Novak is reunited with her mother Amelia Novak only to then tragically lose her. Sam, Dean and Castiel, also send her to Jody Mills while she heals. As she leaves she says "This is some sort of halfway house for wayward girls?", and the idea was born among the fandom to have Sheriff Donna Hanscum and Jody running a home for young women as a spin-off.
Two fans, Riley Keshner and Betty Days, set up a Twitter and Tumblr account to promote the idea with a letter writing campaign and petition. It captured the imagination of fans and actors including Kim Rhodes and Briana Buckmaster. Presciently, one fan speculated on "#Jody&DonnasHomeForWaywardGirls with @robertberens as head writer."
“I knew we had the numbers and so I put out a call to action through the fandom, and Betty and I created the social media accounts and a petition so that we could funnel everyone’s enthusiasm through a central outlet. We called it ‘Wayward Daughters Academy.’ That was May 1, 2015, the day after "Angel Heart" aired. That day, Kim and Briana both followed us and we discussed with them that we appreciated their support but wouldn’t do anything without their consent. They were both on board, and the rest is history.”
The idea of Wayward Daughters expanded to support promoting positive female representation in Supernatural and other media, and also the idea of fans supporting each other. In December 2015, Kim and Briana ran a campaign through Creation Stands, selling "Wayward Daughters" t-shirts with proceeds going to Random Acts. As part of the campaign fans posted what the campaign meant to them under the tag #istandwityhwaywarddaughters. As a gift to the fandom, Briana posted a video of her lipsyncing to Beyonce. As the campaign broadened, it took on the tagline #WaywardAF and variations like #WaywardStrong and has led to a number of charity T-shirt Campaigns.
11.12 Don't You Forget About Me gave fans a look at the life Jody Mills, Alex and Claire were building together, and furthered spurred the enthusiasm for a series focusing on these characters.
12.16 Ladies Drink Free focused on Claire who was out hunting on her own, and teams up with the Winchesters to track down a werewolf. In the preview for the episode by showrunners Andrew Dabb and Bob Singer, Dabb described Claire as “a fan favorite character, someone we really like” and Singer stated that the episode “very subtly tees up something that we’re gonna revisit next year.”
Jody and Alex reappeared in the episode 12.22 Who We Are -- and survived the season.
On June 20th 2017, it was announced that season 13 would feature a backdoor pilot for "Wayward Sisters", a spin-off series that would tell the story of "Sheriff Jody Mills and a group of troubled young women, all of them orphaned by supernatural tragedy. Under Mills’ training and protection, the women will emerge as a supreme monster-fighting force."
At the time of the announcement only Kim Rhodes had been confirmed for the episode. The pilot is written by Robert Berens and Andrew Dabb. The spin-off is executive produced by Andrew Dabb, Robert Singer, Phil Sgriccia and Robert Berens.
In an interview with TVLine, Andrew Dabb said "Wayward Sisters still “very much [has] the same sensibilities, the same driving forces [and] the same core themes, which are family...
As for why now is the right time to try to once again expand the Supernatural universe, Dabb noted that this particular idea was “something we have been talking about, internally, really since we introduced Claire Novak to the show [in Season 10].” And with Alex living under Jody’s roof, the producers thought, “‘Oh, this might be a real opportunity to make this happen.'”
“That was something that simmered for us, and fans really latched onto it in a way we could have never expected, in a really awesome way,” Dabb continued. But the creatives had to wait for the show’s storylines to align. “Last season, because of the British Men of Letters and Mom, it didn’t feel right. This season, it feels right. And the way it’s going, as you’ll see as you watch the show, it evolves very organically out of the first half of the season… because we have such a high amount of lead time.”
Synopsis for the pilot:
- When Sam and Dean go missing, Jody Mills calls Claire Novak, the rebellious rogue hunter, and tells her it is time to come home – they need to find the Winchesters. Claire returns and reunites with Alex Jones, who has stayed behind with Jody and tries to balance a “normal” life with being a part time hunter. While Jody is happy to have Claire home again, she’s plagued by Patience’s disturbing vision involving her adopted daughter. Claire and Alex search for Kaia Nieves, the dream walker responsible for opening the rift that Sam and Dean went through, as she holds the key to their whereabouts. Jody calls her friend, Donna Hanscum, to round out the team and the women head off on the most important hunt of their lives.
Further news on the series was released during Comic-Con 2017, Kim Rhodes, Briana Buckmaster, Kathryn Newton and Katherine Ramdeen were confirmed for the series along with newcomer, Clark Backo. The series will be launched through 3 episodes in Season 13 of Supernatural: 13.03 Patience , 13.09 The Bad Place and 13.10 Wayward Sisters.
A new character Patience (played by Clark Backo) -- the estranged granddaughter of psychic and returning character Missouri Moseley -- will be introduced in episode 3 of Supernatural in season 13. From the press release of 23/7/2017:
- "Patience Turner, a new member of the Wayward Sisterhood. A high school over-achiever, Patience’s life is turned upside down when she discovers she’s a powerful psychic, a gift she inherited from her estranged grandmother (and season one Supernatural character) Missouri Moseley. Hunted by dark forces for her power, Patience finds refuge with Jody and her wayward family."
The character is described as:
- "Having lost her family at a young age. By the time she reached adulthood, she was on her own, completely disconnected from her roots, as she tried to understand a burgeoning gift: In her dreams, Kaia walks between worlds — a rare and terrifying power she experiences only as a curse… a power she doesn’t understand and can’t yet control. Flinty, sarcastic, and profoundly haunted, Kaia is nevertheless strong and willful as hell — she’s had to be to survive this long on her own."
In an interview in the Halloween edition of Entertainment Weekly producer Andrew Dabb said that Wayward features "a much larger support system for the central characters, a key detail for the writers. “What is possible if you have more than just a sibling relationship to guide you through this process,” Berens says. “Could it be different? Could it be less psychologically and physically damaging than what we’ve seen Sam and Dean go through? That’s a really core question of the show.”"
- Kim Rhodes: Twitter: @kimrhodes4real; Instagram: @kimrhodes4real; Facebook: KimRhodes4Real. Tumblr: KimRhodes4; Blog: Rhodeside
- Briana Buckmaster: Twitter: @OfficialBrianaB Instagram: @OfficialBrianaB; Facebook: OfficialBrianaB; Tumblr: OfficialBrianaB
- Kathryn Newton: Twitter: @KathrynLNewton Instagram: @KathrynLNewton ; Facebook: KathrynNewtonOfficial
- Kat Ramdeen: Twitter: @katramdeen Instagram: @katramdeen; Facebook: KatRamdeen; Twitch: kjaneway
- Clark Backo: Twitter: @ClarkBacko Instagram: @ClarkB
- Yadira Guevara Prip: Twitter: @YaditheYoda Instagram: @yerbnenders
- Wayward Daughters Academy on Tumblr
- Wayward Daughters is the Supernatural Spin-off We Need by The Geekiary
- Supernatural Fans Want Wayward Daughters by The Daily Fandom
- Wayward Daughters Academy -- The Best New Supernatural Fundraiser by Geek and Sundry
- Did ‘Supernatural’ Just Backdoor Pilot the ‘Wayward Daughters’ Spin-off? by Hypable
- Supernatural Is Developing a Wayward Sisters Spin-off Series by Nerdist
- Supernatural Season 13 to Feature a Backdoor Pilot for Wayward Sisters Spin-off by EW
- 7 Characters Who Belong on Wayward Sisters by BuddyTV
- Wayward Sisters song by @CierraSuee
- Clark Backo talks about a warm welcome to the set with nerdalertnews
- All the Details (So Far) About the 'Supernatural' Spinoff by The Hollywood Reporter
- Wayward Sisters: Get the first details on the Supernatural spin-off by Entertainment Weekly.
This category has only the following subcategory.
Pages in category "Wayward Sisters"
The following 17 pages are in this category, out of 17 total.
Media in category "Wayward Sisters"
The following 15 files are in this category, out of 15 total.
- Annie Jones.png
- BP Kaia Nieves.png
- SN1303a 0253b.jpg
- The Bad Place jack and...