Castiel's Cell Phone
I don't understand... w-why do you want me to say my name?
Castiel's cell phone is a Nokia 8800.
Castiel first uses a phone in 4.15 Death Takes a Holiday when he masquerades as Bobby Singer. In season 5, he uses a phone consistently, beginning in 5.02 Good God, Y'All. After engraving the Enochian sigils into Sam and Dean's ribs at the end of 5.01 Sympathy for the Devil, he is unable to sense their location, and needs to contact them by phone to find them. He is the first Angel, and the only one aside from Anna Milton, to resort to using human technology for this end.
The quote below indicates that it is a pre-paid phone.
Castiel: What? What? Dean--I didn't--I didn't get that.
Dean: You know it's kinda funny talking to a Messenger of God on a cell phone. It's like watching a Hell's Angel ride a moped.Castiel: This isn't funny Dean. The voice says I'm almost out of minutes!
– Castiel and Dean, 5.04 The End
- 1 Castiel's Cell Phone in use
- 1.1 Season Five
- 1.2 Season Eight
- 1.3 Season Nine
- 1.4 Season Ten
- 1.5 10.10 The Hunter Games
- 1.6 Season Eleven
- 1.7 Season Twelve
- 2 See also
Castiel's Cell Phone in use
- Since Castiel carved Enochian sigils into Sam and Dean's ribs, he starts using a cell phone. We don't hear him on the call, but while at the hospital with Bobby and Dean, Sam's phone rings and he tells Castiel where they are. Shortly after he appears at their location, and we find out he wants to borrow Dean's amulet.
- We don't see the call being made, but it appears that Castiel called Dean to talk about finding the Colt. He suggests that if Dean wants to kill Lucifer, the gun may be the way. Dean agrees that they should search for it. Eager to begin looking, Castiel asks Dean's location and announces that he will be there immediately. Dean begs him to wait until morning so that he can have a few hours of sleep, then hangs up. Castiel agrees to wait and continues standing, rather forlornly, on the side of a highway.
- Sam and Dean call in Castiel to help with a powerful child. We don't see the phone call, but when the boys return to their motel room, Castiel is standing there. Sam says, "I take it you got our message?"
- Castiel spies on a crossroads demon named Crowley who is in possession of the Colt. Castiel, on the phone with Dean, relays the whereabouts of Crowley.
- After Castiel follows Crowley, he phones Dean again. He tells Dean he can't get into the building because it's covered in Enochian warding. Dean tells him that him and Sam will take it from here. Castiel must tell them where he is before they hang up, as the next scene the boys head out.
- After Sam discovers the Enochian on the deceased couples hearts, Dean calls Castiel. He immediately tells Castiel they are and Castiel subsequently teleports to Dean's location without hanging up. Awkwardly, he tells Dean he's going to hang up now, and they do.
- Sam calls Castiel about the pastor's daughter who claims to be a prophet. Castiel's phone goes to voicemail, which he obviously didn't know how to set up. Sam leaves a message telling him where they are and asking for help. After finally getting Sam's message, which he describes as long and grating, Castiel comes to Blue Earth, Minnesota, drunk, to help.
- Castiel calls Dean to let him know that he is in a hospital after being found on a shrimping boat unconscious. When Dean tells him the plan and asks him to "pop" over, Castiel explains he's lost his angelic powers. He says that without money for an airplane ride he can't meet them. He also requests food and more pain medication. Dean tells him Bobby will wire him money, to Bobby's disapproval. Before letting Dean hang up, Castiel apologizes for losing faith in hIm and awkwardly compliments him for saying no to Michael. (This call is made from a hospital phone rather than Castiel's cell phone, suggesting that Castiel may have lost the phone when he was forced to banish himself in 5.18 Point of No Return.)
- When Dean shows up after the cake explodes, Castiel says, "Oh good, you got my message." Suggesting he called Dean or sent a text.
- Castiel calls Dean to tell him that the "trials" Metatron had him perform to seal angels into Heaven were actually part of a spell to seal them all out of Heaven. He explains that Metatron has stolen his grace for the spell. Although Castiel wants to come help Sam (who is dying), Dean tells him to go to the Bunker instead to avoid vengeful angels. Castiel does validate Ezekiel over the phone as a trustworthy angel to help Sam, unaware that Ezekiel is dead and the angel in question is actually Gadreel posing as Ezekiel. At this point, Castiel apparently no longer has a cell phone, as he needs to use a pay phone to call Dean.
- Castiel has obtained a cellphone and while fixing the slush ice machine where he works, he calls Dean. He tells Dean about four mysterious disappearances in Rexford, Idaho, but when Dean asks him how he's doing, he says he's busy. The slushie machine starts spilling out all over the floor and Castiel rushes to hang up.
- While babysitting, Castiel suspects Nora's daughter is sick and he calls her to let her know. He ends up having to leave a voicemail, telling her to call back or he will take her to the hospital.
- Castiel is in an abandoned warehouse and finds a glowing symbol on the wall. It stops glowing and he takes out his phone to take a picture of it.
- After speaking to Hannah Castiel returns to his motel room and calls Dean, (assumed, because Sam's phone was just smashed, and Dean picks it up off the table and is the one to hang up). He informs them that Gadreel and Metatron are working together. They connect the dots about Kevin's death and Castiel explains that Metatron is promising Angels can return to heaven? Sam says they should just find Gadrel and beat the answers out of him, to which Castiel responds that he has something to help with that. He sends them the photo he took of the symbol at the warehouse. He explains its acting as an, 'Angel siren' and its some type of spell. Sam says he will research it. Randomly, Castiel asks what is honourable about a minibar, to which Dean replies, "Everything." Castiel smiles and segues into small talk, asking Dean how he is doing. Dean replies he's fine and asks how Castiel is doing. He tells Dean, "I miss my wings. Life in the road, smells..." Sam interjects with his findings. The symbol has been at multiple crime scenes in the last couple days. Castiel asks where and Sam lists them off. Castiel narrows down Gadreels possibly trajectory and they each take a town, Castiel going to Auburn and Sam and Dean going to Ogden. Dean hangs up. Unphased, Castiel hangs up too.
- Castiel is driving with Gabriel as he calls Dean, but he gets voicemail. As he is about to leave Dean a message, Gabriel throws a fit about him talking on the phone while driving and takes his cell. He leaves Dean a snarky voicemail and explains that he and Castiel are in their way to the bunker.
- Castiel is sick in bed when his phone rings, the caller ID says Sam. Sam says he thinks he found something, but Castiel just coughs. Sam checks if he's still there and Castiel replies that he's fine and to go on. Sam explains the news he found about a possible possession. Castiel continues to cough the whole time. Sam decides to pretend he was over excited about it, feeling that Castiel needs to rest. They elude to Sam getting injured while on a hunt with Castiel. Castiel asks how Sam is doing, and Sam replies he's just tired. Castiel admits he misses Dean and wonders why he would just disappear. They discuss Dean leaving. Sam suggests he might have been taken, but Castiel rebukes with the fact that Dean left a note. They both go quiet and after a moment, Sam hangs up.
- Castiel and Hannah have stopped and are cleaning up after a fight with other Angels. After Hannah heals Castiel, his phone rings. It's Sam calling to tell him where Dean and Crowley have gone. Sam also tells him that Dean is a demon. Sam knows Castiel isn't well, but asks for his help anyway. Of course, Castiel agrees to meet him. They hang up.
- Just as things get awkward between Hannah and Castiel, his phone rings. It's Sam with and update on his progress curing Dean. He tells Castiel that it's not the same as Crowley and Dean is in pain. They agree it could be killing him. Sam asks if he should stop, but Castiel says this is the only option. Castiel says he'll be there as soon as he can and Sam tells him he will leave the entry unlocked for him. They hang up.
- Castiel texts Dean Claire Novak's phone number and tells Dean that he has grown to like texting and emoticons.
- We dont see or hear Castiel, but from Sam's point of view he tells him to keep in touch with any updates and thanks him, before hanging up.
- Once again, we don't see or hear Castiel, but we hear Sam talk to him. Sam gives him and update on how Dean is doing, saying he seems calmed down now. He says they need to find Cain, without hearing Castiel, Sam seems in agreement with what he replies, and they hang up.
- Castiel is interrogating a demon when his phone rings. It's lying in a nearby table and we see the caller ID says Dean Calling. Castiel ignores the call and continues his interrogation.
- Castiel calls Dean back from a field of unmarked graves. When he answers, Dean puts him on speakerphone and asks where he is, to which Casitel replies, "Illinois." Sam tells him they have a lead, but is told the guy is dead. Dean asks where exactly Castiel is so they can come help, but he just tells them he will call them back and hangs up.
- We don't see or hear Castiel, but Sam is in the bunker on the phone, having a quiet conversion with an unknown caller. He tells them to, ..."just be there." As soon as Dean enters the room, he says he has to go and hangs up. (Based on the following scene where he meets up with Castiel, it's safe to assume that's who he was talking with.)
- Castiel is driving to the location of his grace with Metatron, when he calls Sam. When Sam answers Castiel says, "Can I just kill him now?" Sam says they need him alive, but later he can do what he wants. Castiel tells him he'd like to kill him slowly, then ignoring Metatrons protests, asks about the Mark of Cain. Sam has nothing to report. Castiel reassures him they will find a cure, then takes a moment to out the phone in the crook of his shoulder and punch Metatron in the face for saying he doesn't know why they'd want to cure him. Castiel tells Sam to just keep digging, but Sam replies, "No one here by that name" and he hangs up on Castiel.
- While waiting for Sam and Dean to arrive at the hospital where Claire Novak is admitted, Castiel nervously checks his cell phone. When they go to her room, Claire complains and Castiel explains that the hospital called him when she was found unconscious, because his number was in her contacts.
- Castiel is with Rowena and Charlie when he calls Sam. When someone answers, he urgently says, "Sam!" When Dean replies it's him, not Sam, Castiel goes quiet. Dean asks him what's up. Castiel replies, "Nothin', I'm just staying in touch, like I do. " When Dean pushes him again, his lying worsens and he says, "No, this call is pointless. My ride's here." Castiel hangs up on Dean.
- Castiel calls Sam again, desperate. When he answers, Sam tells Castiel to make the call quick. Castiel and Sam argue over what to do about Charlie and Rowena's bickering. Castiel says Charlie wants to leave, but when Sam says that's not safe, Castiel replies he will go with her. Sam can't have him leave Rowena alone then. He tells Castiel to separate them and make it work. Sam tells Castiel he has to get back to Dean and to handle it. Sam hangs up.
- After Castiel realises Charlie has left he calls Sam. Sam answers with an uncertain, "Hey." It's Castiel, calling to tell him Charlie disappeared. Sam is left speechless.
- Castiel calls Sam from the Styne estate. Sam asks if he found Dean and he tells him not yet, but Dean killed everyone there. Sam says he's on the way, but Castiel tells him not to bother, because the GPS says Dean's headed north. Sam asks where he's headed and Castiel tells him Dean's going home before hanging up.
- When Castiel summons him, Crowley says, "Who summons anymore? Couldn't you call?" To which Castiel replies, "You're not in my contacts list."
- After praying to the Angels to save him from hurting anybody, Castiel calls Dean. Dean immediately asks him where he is, to which Castiel replies he's okay. He tells Dean he can't help him with what he has. He demands Dean tell Sam that Rowena escaped with the Book of the Damned and the Codex. Dean asks him where he is again instead. Ignoring him, Castiel instead rebukes with asking Dean if the Mark of Cain is gone. Dean tries to start and argument, but Castiel interrupts and asks again. Dean states yes, but he's not great, then puts Castiel on speakerphone. Dean says, "Okay, your turn. Talk to us about the darkness." When Castiel asks why, Sam tells him it's free and Dean saw her. Castiel doesn't believe him, but then seems intrigued that the darkness is a woman. Dean says he hoped Castiel could tell them how screwed they are, but Castiel doesn't reply. Dean calls his name, but Castiel just tells them good bye. He says it may be sometime before they see one another again. Dean calls out to him again, but Castiel hangs up on them.
- Castiel has been trapped by Efram and Jonah, when his phone rings. It's on a table nearby and Efram looks to see who's calling. He scoffs about it being Dean Winchester, then smashes Castiel's phone.
- We don't see Castiel, but we know he's back at the bunker. When Sam answers, he puts him directly on speakerphone. Sam asks how he's going and Castiel explains he's been researching, Dean tells him he's got one job, healing. Castiel reiterates that he wants to help. Sam agrees he can, of course, but right now he should focus on getting better. He tells him to relax, read a book or watch some Netflix. Castiel asks what a Netflix is, and Sam explains to go to his room and turn on the TV. Castiel reluctantly agrees and they hang up.
- We don't see Castiel, but he calls Dean from the bunker. When Dean asks how he is, he says he's mostly confused. He, "Doesn't understand how orange corrolates with black in a way that is new." Dean tells him to step away from the Netflix and then asks if he got any information on what they might be hunting. Castiel tells him he found a creature that feeds on hearts and blood. Dean jokes that it's a werepyre and Castiel just ignores him. He explains that in lore it's referred to as a Whisper and silver will kill it, but he should decapitate it just to be sure. Dean tells Castiel he's at the crime scene and says it was staged. As he asks Castiel for more information about Whispers, Deputy Donelly pulls up, so he tells Castiel to hang on and throws the phone onto the dash of the car. Castiel appears to not hear him and continues to go over the lore about Whispers. He realises this is not what Dean is hunting, because it's not a solar eclipse. Then, he hears a thump and calls out to Dean. When he hears gunshots, he starts to panic. Dean finally gets back in the car and jokes he did kill the deputy. When he assures Castiel he killed him with silver bullets, Castiel explains it's not a Whisper. Dean tells him to hang on again and this time Castiel hears, but calls out to him anyway. When Dean returns, Castiel reiterates that it's not a whisper. Dean says he's starting to get that, since the deputy won't die. He puts Castiel on hold again, then sends him pictures of it's fangs and asks him to look into it. Castiel replies, "I'm on it!" And they hang up.
- We don't see Castiel, but he calls Dean from the bunker again. Dean puts him on speakerphone. Castiel says they're hunting a Nachzehrer, or ghoul and vampire-like creature. Dean immediately dubs it a ghoulpyre, to no ones amusement. Castiel explains a bit about them and, when Dean asks, how to kill them. He says since they are already dead, they need to be reminded that they are dead and they need a Charons obol. Sam equates it to Ancient Greek stories of the river Styx for Dean. Castiel agrees, place a coin in a Nachzeher's mouth, then sever the head and it will kill them. He continues to say if you kill the alpha, everyone they've turned, will turn back to normal. The Men of Letters documents state it must be a copper coin, which Sam interjects again, string it must be pre 1982 in order to be copper and not copper plated. Dean heckles Sam for being a nerd, then thanks Castiel. They tell him to get better and hang up.
- Castiel is watching TV in Sam's room at the bunker when Dean calls. Dean asks how he is, which Castiel replies he's fine. Then Dean asks how the search for Metatron is going. Castiel says there has been nothing on Angel Radio. Dean becomes worried about Castiel's television watching habit, asking when he last left the bunker. Castiel responds by saying, "Why would I leave? I've got everything I need right here." Dean heckles him for watching Jenny Jones. Dean warns him against watching too much TV and hangs up.
- As Lucifer is humiliating Crowley, Castiel's phone rings. Lucifer answers, under the guise of Castiel saying, "Hello Dean." The scene cuts.
- Castiel is leaning on his stolen truck in Aldrich, Missouri talking to Dean on the phone. Dean tells him he didn't find any clues on the surveillance cameras. When Dean asks if Castiel has found anything with the locals, he says it's pretty rural where he is and after checking motels and abandon buildings, he hasn't found Sam. Dean tells him to check real estate records for any recent purchases. Castiel says he will in the morning and goes to hang up, but Dean stops him. Dean tells him it's been awkward with his mother, her having missed so much time, and he doesn't want to overwhelm her. Castiel simply tells him not to make things needlessly complicated and says he'll call him later and hangs up.
- Castiel is standing in some trees when he calls Dean to tell him he thinks he found Sam's location. He tells Dean he's at a farm that appears empty and it was rented 2 weeks ago to a woman with an English accent. When Dean asks if he's looked inside, Castiel explains he didn't because it's powerfully warded. Dean tells him, "Powerfully warded? Okay, see buddy that was your headline, right there", which confuses Castiel. He asks if Dean is still talking about the same topic.Dean ignores him and asks where his is instead. Castiel tells him he will text the address and they hang up.