|Powers and Abilities||Possession|
|Appearance||When occupying a human host they have green eyes, pale skin, pointed teeth, and no genitals.|
|Episode(s)||11.19 The Chitters|
A cicada spirit that originated in the forests of Malaysia and are very rare in America. They emerge from underground around the time of the spring equinox and enter humans through the mouth, so they can mate and breed. The hosts die and the next generation is born and remains underground for 27 years until the cycle starts again.
In Gunnison, Colorado, the cycle of bisaan mating became an urban legend known as "the chitters." According to Etta Fraser, during spring equinox people in town would go nuts. They would be so consumed with lust that their eyes would glow like green emeralds. They would have orgies in the woods and then disappear, never to be heard from again. "The chitters" moniker came from the the buzzing and clicking sounds of the bisaan communicating. Etta says that burning white sage can keep them at bay.
When a bisaan possesses a human, the host will take on a pale appearance with pointed, thorn-like teeth and green glowing eyes. The possession eventually leads to loss of hair and genitalia. Bisaans communicate through a buzzing/clicking sound, especially to find a mate. After mating, the females hosts die and the larval bisaan gestate in their wombs for years before hatching.
Powers and abilities
- Burrowing – Bisaans can burrow into the ground to create their layer and allow their larvae to safetly gestate until the reproduction cycle begins anew.
- Possession – Bisaan possess people by crawling into their mouths and take over control, using their bodies like a hermit crab would a shell. Due to biaans being unable to reproduce themselves, they use the possessed humans to breed every 27 years.
- Superhuman strength – Humans possessed by bisaans gain strength that far exceeds when they were human.
- Decapitation – Cutting off the head is the best known way to kill a bisaan.
- Fire – Bisaan are also susceptible to fire.
- Short life span – Upon birth, a bisaans life span only lasts a few days. They use this time to mate as much as possible before dying off so the new generation can continue the cycle.
- White sage – The scent of burning white sage can repel bisaan.
Bisaan in Lore
The bisan is a cicada spirit from the mythology of the Jakun people, who are an ethnic group of the Orang Asli, the indigenous people of Malaysia. They are said to protect the sacred camphor trees.