A binding spell can be used to control a supernatural entity.
- 1.12 Faith: Sue-Ann Le Grange uses a binding spell to control a reaper.
- 5.10 Abandon All Hope...: Lucifer frees Death and binds Death to him, so he will do his biding in bringing the Apocalypse. Death agrees to help Dean and Sam end the Apocalypse as once Lucifer is again back in his cage, the binding spell will be broken.
- 7.01 Meet the New Boss: The Winchesters and Bobby obtain a binding spell from Crowley and use it to bind Death. One of the ingredients of the spell is fulgurite, an object formed when lightning fuses the silica in sand together. While Death is bound to them, Castiel cannot kill Sam and Dean. It is Castiel who frees Death.
The binding spell used on Death (written in red ink):
- "Invoco Mortem. Te in mea potestate. Defixi. Nunc et in aeternum."
- "I call upon Death. Thee for my power. Fastened. Now and for eternity."
- 7.07 The Mentalists: Jimmy Tomorrow uses a binding spell to get the ghost of Margaret Fox to kill other psychics for him. The spell is broken when Sam burns her bones.