Ben Edlund is a writer and executive producer on Supernatural.
Ben found success at age 17 with the creation of the comic book The Tick, which was later made into an animated series.
He worked for Joss Whedon on Firefly and also Angel. He wrote the Hugo Award nominated episode of Angel called Smile Time, where the main characters are transformed into puppets. Ridge Canipe who played young Dean Winchester also appeared in Smile Time. Ben was also a co-executive producer on the short lived Point Pleasant. He joined Supernatural in Season 2.
"This is a thing that started with a deceptively simple premise of a muscle car and two beautiful men... who shoot ghosts, where the fuck did that come from? [Laughs.] They drive around a shoot ghosts, oooh classic rock! And I like this show, I like it, I love it."
In an interview done at the 100th episode party Ben sums up how Michael and Dean's personalities are key to how the Apocalypse plays out "Everything hinges on these two beautiful men and the caprices of their decision-making process".
"I maintain that the entire season is an RV built entirely out of meta stuff, which we live in comfortably. Because these creatures, these poor men, cannot die. The cruel universe that will not let them die. The gods of that universe are Kripke. I’m a lesser – I’m like Hanuman. Then there’s the Cthulu of Warner Bros. ‘More money! Go!’ And then there’s these two fictional guys going, ‘Please let us die! Stop it!’ That’s TV. TV will not let people die."
"We’re at a point now where the paradigm for media is shifting. We’re going to a new media template – downloads, streaming – I don’t really understand the technology, but what I understand is this, that broadcast television isn’t going to be the medium of the future, it’s just not the way it’s going to work. People will still go to movies, but it won’t be necessary in the way that it was."
- 2.05 Simon Said
- 2.12 Nightshifter
- 2.18 Hollywood Babylon
- 3.03 Bad Day at Black Rock
- 3.09 Malleus Maleficarum
- 3.13 Ghostfacers
- 4.05 Monster Movie
- 4.08 Wishful Thinking
- 4.16 On the Head of a Pin
- 5.04 The End
- 5.10 Abandon All Hope...
- 5.14 My Bloody Valentine
- 5.20 The Devil You Know
- 6.03 The Third Man
- 6.09 Clap Your Hands If You Believe...
- 6.15 The French Mistake
- 6.20 The Man Who Would Be King
- 7.02 Hello, Cruel World
- 7.09 How to Win Friends and Influence Monsters
- 7.15 Repo Man
- 7.21 Reading Is Fundamental
- 8.05 Blood Brother
- 8.13 Everybody Hates Hitler
- 8.21 The Great Escapist
Ben in Fandom
Ben does commentary on the DVDs for
Clips, Articles and Interviews
- Interview with Ben at Comic Con 2007
- Interview with Ben Edlund by Buddy TV
- Clip of Ben interview on S3 at Comic Con
- Interview with Ben Edlund by Buddy TV. December 2008.
- Ben talks about the Wishing Fish
- Ben at Comic Con 2008 talks Ghostfacers and the wishing fish
- mp3 of interview with scifitvzone
- 100th episode party: Ben Edlund talks Ghostfacers, serious episodes and the apocalypse.
- Scifi wire interview about the Winchesters dying April 2010
- Ben Edlund on 6.20 The Man Who Would Be King by Zap2It
- Ben Edlund on 6.20 The Man Who Would Be King by TV Squad
- Ben Edlund on 6.20 The Man Who Would Be King by TV Line
- Interview on 6.20 The Man Who Would Be King by insidetv
- Recap of Nerdist Writer's Panel including Ben Edlund