9.23 Do You Believe in Miracles?
|Title||Do You Believe in Miracles?|
|Episode #||Season 9, Episode 23|
|First aired||May 20, 2014|
|Directed by||Thomas J. Wright|
|Written by||Jeremy Carver|
|On IMDB||Do You Believe in Miracles?|
|Outline||Sam and Dean take the fight to Metatron on Earth, while Castiel and Gadreel infiltrate Heaven.|
|Timeline||Immediately after 9.22 Stairway to Heaven|
|Location(s)|| Lebanon, Kansas|
|« Previous Episode | Next Episode »|
Sam and Castiel are trying to restrain Dean after he has attacked and slashed Gadreel. They lock him in the dungeon, Dean argues he is the only one who can kill Metatron, but Sam warns that the Mark of Cain is affecting him. Sam and Castiel leave, locking Dean inside.
Sam and Cas go back upstairs to discover that Gadreel has disappeared. They find him outside and Gadreel begs them to kill him. Castiel heals him, even though it further depletes his stolen grace.
Metatron is in Heaven, with all the angels who had been following Castiel. Metatron uses a device to communicate with all angels, telling him he has one small task to undertake before they are all restored to Heaven.
In the Bunker, Dean is throwing up blood. He manages to find the ingredients for a spell, and summons Crowley. Crowley informs Dean that the Mark of Cain will drive him to kill more and more - and that if he doesn't, he will die. Dean protest that Cain was still alive, but Crowley points out that Cain was a demon, not a human and that human bodies aren't meant to contain that power. Dean asks Crowley to help him get the First Blade and escape.
Sam, Cas, and Gadreel get back to the Bunker to discover that Dean has disappeared. Gadreel learns about how Dean got the Mark of Cain, and he tells Sam and Castiel that Dean will be their best chance for defeating Metatron. He also tells them that Metatron is drawing power from the angel tablet, meaning that they will need to destroy the tablet, which is in Metatron's office in Heaven.
Meanwhile, Metatron is on Earth, and performing miracles. When amongst a group of homeless people, another angel challenges him but the people come to Metatron's defense and kill him.
Crowley and Dean stop at a diner so that Dean can use the wifi and try to track down Metatron. Crowley gives him a hard time about tipping the waitress, and then reiterates that he kicked the blood habit, but it's obvious when Crowley ponders on the futility of existence that some of his humanity remains. Two of his minions arrive, with information on Metatron. Crowley and Dean watch a viral video of Metatron resurrecting a woman, and then whispering something to her. Dean is in a hurry to track her down and leaves - without even touching his cheeseburger.
Dean makes it to the woman's trailer home to interview her, and Sam is already there and has already spoken to her. Dean prepares himself for a fight, but Sam says that he knows that they need Dean to fight Metatron.
Gadreel and Castiel approach the location of the door to Heaven, which is guarded by two angels - Asariel & Purah - in a playground. They pretend that Castiel is Gadreel's prisoner and convince the angels to open the door. In Heaven, Hannah takes Gadreel and Castiel into Metatron's office - which transforms into Heaven's prison. Gadreel is distraught, that after all his attempts at redemption, he has ended up back in a prison cell.
Dean and Sam arrive at the homeless camp. Dean tries to talk to Sam about what has been between them over the last few months, but Sam says it's okay. Unexpectedly, Dean knocks out Sam. He takes the First Blade, and tells Sam's inert form that he needs to do this alone.
In Heaven, Castiel is trying to convince Hannah that Metatron is not to be trusted. Gadreel has secretly managed to carve into himself the Enochian sigil the suicide bombers were using, and after shouting a warning, he declares he is sacrificing himself so Meatron can be stopped. He stabs himself and the resulting blast knocks out the prison wall freeing Castiel. Hannah is now convinced they are right.
Dean has found Metatron who is cocky because he knows Castiel and Gadreel have been captured. Metatron admits to wanting to be the new God, charging that even the real God had to work on his image to get people to follow him, and then just let people fight and die in his name, telling Dean that in fact wants to save humanity, and cares for it more than God ever did. Dean takes out the First Blade, saying that that he blames Metatron for Kevin's death, and Castiel losing his grace, and everything else bad that has happened. Metatron challenges Dean - what will happen if Metatron dies?
Dean attacks Metatron with the Blade, and Metatron fights back. He beats Dean and then, just as Sam arrives, he stabs Dean with his angel blade. Just then the building shakes - in Heaven Castiel has found the angel tablet and smashes it. Before Sam is able to attack Metatron, he disappears back to Heaven.
Metatron confronts Castiel accusing him of being purely motivated to save Dean and informs Cas that Dean is dead. He reveals that he thinks the angels are all just sheep who will do anything he wants. Castiel then reveals that he has been broadcasting Metatron's words to all the angels. They enter, and on Castiel's instructions imprison Metatron. Hannah commends Castiel for not killing Metatron, saying it is a sign of a true leader. But Castiel once again reiterates that he is no leader, saying he just wants to be an angel again. Hannah asks what Castiel will do about his diminishing grace, but he doesn't answer.
Dean asks Sam to let him die because he doesn't like what the Mark is turning him into. Sam refuses and tries to carry Dean and get him help. On the way Dean stops him, and tells Sam that he is proud of them, just before he dies. Sam takes Dean back to the Bunker and lays him on his bed. After having a drink, he proceeds to the dungeon where Dean has done the spell to summon Crowley. Believing it all to be Crowley's fault, Sam plans to summon Crowley and have him fix what has happened.
Crowley, however, is already in the Bunker and enters Dean's room. He says that he didn't know the full extent of the Mark of Cain. It's important, he says, that Dean knows he never lies. He does say that he omitted to tell Dean that Cain also did not want to become the killer the Mark was making him - so he stabbed himself with the First Blade. It didn't kill him because the Mark wouldn't let him die.
Crowley puts the Blade into Dean's hand. He tells Dean that he's feeling a new kind of life and tells him to open his eyes. He tells Dean he will now see what he sees, and feel what he feels.
After a moment, Dean opens his eyes: he has become a demon.
- Angel Blade
- Angel Cuffs
- Angel Lore
- Angel Radio
- Binding Link
- Castiel's Pimpmobile
- Dean's Bedroom
- Devil's Trap
- The First Blade
- Mark of Cain
- Men of Letters Bunker
- Metatron's Cube
- Star Wars
- Table of Death
- "Carry On Wayward Son" by Kansas
- (plays during "The Road So Far" recap of events; also played in 1.21 Salvation, 2.22 All Hell Breaks Loose: Part Two, 3.16 No Rest for the Wicked, 4.22 Lucifer Rising, 5.22 Swan Song, 6.22 The Man Who Knew Too Much, 7.23 Survival of the Fittest and 8.23 Sacrifice)
- "Since You Fell in Love" by Joe Montgomery
- (playing at the bar Dean and Crowley go to to track down Metatron)
- "Can't Find My Way Home" by Blind Faith
- (plays over Sam drinking and preparing to summon Crowley; also played in 1.13 Route 666)
Crowley: Liquor before beer, bad taco? How should I know?
Dean: Sam whatever type of intervention you think this is, trust me it ain't. I'm not going to explain myself to you.
Sam: Yeah, I sorta got that. I just thought you might like to know while you two have been playing, uh Odd Couple. Your real friends, like Cas, like the angel you stabbed - Gadreel. They're out there right now risking their asses to help you win this fight.
Dean: The hell you talking about?
Sam: A fight I might add you made that much more complicated when you decided to stab the one angel who could actually get us to Metatron!
Dean: You mean the angel that took you for a joy ride? The angel that slaughtered Kevin, that angel?
Sam: Who you let in the front door in the first place. You tricked me Dean, and now I'm the who wakes up in the middle of the night with my hands killing Kevin, not you. So please when you say you don't want to explain anything to me, don't! I get it. And I also get that Metatron has to go. And I know you're our best shot to do that.
Dean: I'm gonna take my shot, for better or worse.
Sam: I know.
Dean: No matter the consequences
Castiel: You've been redeemed my friend.
Gadreel: The only thing that matters in the end is the mission: protecting those who would not and cannot protect themselves. The humans. None of us is bigger than that, we will not let our fears, our self absorption prevent us from seeing it through. Not anymore.
Castiel: No, no of course not.
Sam: I lied.Dean: Ain't that a bitch.
Trivia & References
Neil: Sort of like The Notebook. I love The Notebook.
- The Notebook is a 2004 romance movie which was based on a popular Nicholas Sparks book of the same name.
Metatron: Winning a People's Choice Award. Not quite the real deal, now is it?
- The People's Choice Awards are TV, movie and music awards show that is based on a popular vote. Supernatural has won a number of a PCA awards over the years, with fans voting many thousands of times.
Metatron: Because I'm Lou Gehrig?
- Lou Gehrig was a famous early 20th Century baseball player. When he was forced to retire at 36 due to illness, he made a speech known as "The Luckiest Man on the Face of the Earth" at the original Yankees stadium. It had a lot of reverb. Listen here.
- Dr. Phil is a television self-help guru.
- Game of Thrones is a TV series based on the the epic fantasy book series titled A Song of Ice and Fire by author George R.R. Martin. It has a cast of many dozens of characters, even though many of them die on a regular basis.
Castiel: Wookie. [holds up handcuffs]
Gadreel: Brother, I have no idea what that means.
Castiel: It's a reference to a very popular film that... Never mind.
- In Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, Chewbacca the Wookie pretends to be Han Solo's prisoner so they can get into the prison block on the Death Star where Princess Leia is being held.
- The Odd Couple was a popular '70s TV series based on the Neil Simon play of the same name. It featured two divorced men who are very different in character who share an apartment.
- Brentwood in LA is a wealthy neighborhood which is home to many celebrities. Jensen lived in Brentwood at the time the episode was filmed.
- Bernie Madoff is a former American stockbroker, famously convicted for his fraudulent practices involving stealing other people's money through Ponzi schemes.
- The Cubs are a baseball team based in Chicago. At the time this episode aired, the Cubs had not won the World Series in 105 years, the longest championship drought of any major North American professional sports team.
- Locked Up Abroad, also known as Banged Up Abroad, is a British docudrama series that features stories of people who have been arrested while travelling abroad.
- A crook is large staff typically carried by shepherds that is used for balance, defense, and recovering fallen animals. It has also become a religious symbol used by Bishops in various sects of Christianity.
Sides, Scripts & Transcripts
- 9.23 Do You Believe in Miracles? (transcript)
- Do You Believe in Miracles? Script (Pink Revisions)
- Do You Believe in Miracles? Call Sheet and Script Sides (Day 8 of 8)
- Official synopsis by Hypable
- Promo pics
- Finale Promo
- CHCH promo
- Jeremy Carver teases the finale
- Andrew Dabb teases the finale
- Another tease from Andrew Dabb on Castiel role in the finale
- Jared, Jensen and Misha talk about the last minute of the finale
- Jensen on where the finale finds the brothers by EW