One year ago and shortly after trapping Lucifer and Michael in Lucifer's Cage, Bobby summons Crowley and demands the return of his soul. Crowley refuses and smugly quotes his contract, which states that he only has to "make best efforts" to give Bobby his soul back. He agrees to give Bobby ten years of life, but that is all. Bobby then reveals he has trapped Crowley in a devil's trap made with black light paint, but Crowley threatens him with his hellhound until Bobby releases him.
In the present day, Sam and Dean are in Wisconsin on the trail of a monster that cracks open the bodies of its victims. It leaves a large black claw in the chest cavity of the latest victim, and they call Bobby for help. Even though Bobby says that he's busy, he spends hours researching, going so far as to break into a University library to find a book that he needs. It's early morning the next day when he calls Dean to tell him that they're hunting a lamia. Usually only found in Greece, a lamia "juices hearts and chugs the blood." He tells them it can be killed by a silver knife blessed by a priest. After he's off the phone, Bobby goes down to his basement, where he has a crossroads demon tied up and caught in a devil's trap. He wants to know Crowley's true name - the name he had as a human before he died and became a demon in Hell - so he tortures the demon by using a blowtorch to singe its bones. Finally, she admits that Crowley, who is now the King of Hell, was a Scottish man named Fergus MacLeod in life. The other demons call him "Lucky the Leprechaun" behind his back. Once Bobby has the information he needs, he burns the demon's bones, killing it and its host.
After killing the demon, Bobby answers phones and backs up other hunters posing as various law enforcement officials until Rufus knocks on his door. Rufus has the police on his tail and needs Bobby's help burying the body of an okami, a monster usually only seen in Japan. They bury the body on Bobby's property and Rufus leaves just before Sheriff Jody Mills shows up with an FBI agent, Agent Adams. Agent Adams is looking for Rufus. Dean calls while the FBI agent is there and asks for help killing the lamia because they couldn't kill it with a silver knife blessed by a priest. Bobby tells him to find salt and rosemary and "blend the herbs, sauté over a high heat, and cook well," and hangs up when Dean kills the lamia. Agent Adams is persistent, and Sheriff Jody Mills tries to distract him, but Adams finds the spot where the okami was buried. Fortunately, there is no longer any evidence of a crime because the okami is gone. Unfortunately, Rufus didn't stab it enough times to kill it, and it has been feeding on single white females while they sleep.
While Bobby was interrogating the crossroads demon, Marcy Ward rang his doorbell with a homemade peach cobbler. She has been his neighbor for six months now, and seems to be interested in him romantically, asking him over for dinner and a movie and then, when he seemed hesitant, asking him to come over and take a look at her wood chipper, which has broken down. When he learns that the okami might be after her, he breaks down her door with a shotgun, scaring her, but drawing out the okami, which had been waiting in her bedroom to kill her. When the okami is killed in Marcy's (obviously functioning) wood chipper, she is covered in blood. Bobby still tries to salvage a relationship with her, but she turns him down.
Rufus thanks Bobby for helping him with the okami, and tells him what his contacts in Scotland have learned about Fergus MacLeod, aka Crowley. Crowley had a son named Gavin MacLeod, whose signet ring is now on display in a maritime museum in Andover, Massachusetts. Rufus is already there willing to steal the ring for Bobby.
Dean calls to talk about Sam and how he's changed in the past year, but when Bobby puts him on hold to talk to Rufus (who is fleeing law enforcement after stealing the ring), Dean accuses him of being selfish. Bobby asks for Sam and he yells at the brothers over speakerphone, calling them "whiny, self-absorbed, sons-of-bitches" that he does everything for without a word of thanks. He reminds them Crowley still has his soul and tells them to "sack up" and help him for once. Sam says all Bobby had to do was ask.
As a favor to Bobby, Sheriff Mills extradites Rufus and allows him to "escape custody" so that Rufus can deliver the signet ring to Bobby. Bobby uses the ring to summon Gavin's ghost, and they "have a chat." He then summons Crowley, who arrives and discovers he is trapped in another devil's trap. Crowley repeats his position that he won't give Bobby his soul, but Bobby counters by revealing his son Gavin's ghost. Fergus, aka Crowley, and Gavin hated each other so Gavin is useless as a bargaining chip, but he gave Bobby all the information he wanted about Crowley, including where his bones were buried.
Bobby then hands Crowley the phone so that he can talk to Dean, who tells him that he and Sam are standing over Crowley's bones in Scotland. Bobby makes Crowley an offer: his bones in exchange for Bobby's soul, and Crowley agrees. Bobby makes sure that he will still have the use of his legs before releasing him from the devil's trap. Crowley appears in Scotland moments later, where Sam and Dean are still standing over his bones. Dean threatens to burn the bones anyway, but Sam tells him to stand down, saying "a deal's a deal." Crowley picks up his bones and disappears, and Bobby thanks Sam and Dean for flying to Scotland and helping him get his soul back.
Been making merry, have we?
Bobby: Bite me.
Crowley: If that's your thing. That swan dive of Sam's was a thing of beauty. Tens all the way round. Standing ov from the Romanian judge. You should be proud, Bobby. As deaths go, it wasn’t too shabby. Cheer up, mate, we just saved the sodding world together. Me, I've been celebrating.
Bobby: I'd hate to see what you call celebrating.
Yes, you would.
Let me get this straight – we just 'saved the sodding world together,' and you're too good to drink with me?
Yeah, Garth, what do you got? Never heard of a vamp doin’ that. It doesn't sound like our kind of thing. Better drop a dime to the FBI.
[Bobby hangs up the phone, and picks up another one]
Willis, FBI. No, Garth, not me, the FBI. The real FBI! How are you still alive?
Rufus: Oh, good, you’re home! Listen. You gotta help me bury a body.
Rufus: So the son of a bitch's name is Fergus McCloud?
Bobby: That's the son of a bitch's name.
So you just happened to have a bamboo dagger blessed by a Shinto priest laying around?
Bobby: Wood chipper.
Oh, okey dokey. Wood chipper, that–that pretty much trumps everything.
Sam. Dean. I love you like my own. I do. But sometimes – Sometimes... You two are the whiniest, most self-absorbed sons of bitches I ever met! I'm selfish? Me? I do everything for you! Everything! You need some lore scrounged up, you need your asses pulled out of the fire, you need someone to bitch to about each other, you call me and I come through. Every damn time! And what do I get for it? Jack with a side of squat!
Dean: Bobby –
Bobby: Do I sound like I'm done? Now look. I know you've got issues. God knows I know. But I got a news flash for you. You ain't the center of the universe! Now, it may have slipped your mind... that Crowley owns my soul! And the meter is running! And I will be damned if I'm going to sit around and–and be damned! So how about you two sack up and help me for once?
Sam: Bobby, all – all you got to do is ask.
Anything you need... we're there.
Crowley: Save you the recap. In fact I'll do the shorthand for you. I want my soul back, idjit. 'Fraid not. But I'm surly and I got a beard. Gimme! Blah, blah, blah. Homespun cornpone insult, witty retort from yours truly. The bottom line is, you get bupkis. Are we done?
I believe those are mine.
Dean: You know, now that I think about it, maybe I'll just... napalm your ass anyhow.
Sam: Dean, he's a dick, but a deal’s a deal.
I don't need you fight my battles for me, Moose. Get bent. Now, if you'll excuse me. I've a little hell to raise.
Listen. Um – about the things I said earlier. I was in a tough spot and I–I guess I was–
Sam: You were right, Bobby. We take you for granted.
Dean: You've been cleaning up our messes for years, Bobby. Without you, I don't even want to think about where me and Sam would’ve ended up.
Okay then, let’s roll credits on this chick flick.
No. ’Cause I'm going Dateline on your ass.
- Dateline, or Dateline NBC, is broadcast by NBC and is a U.S. weekly television news magazine that has done investigative stories that involve using black lights to reveal suspicious stains in hotel rooms.
Ball’s in your court, Robert. Ten years of living or ten years as Alpo.
- Alpo is an American brand of dog food marketed and manufactured by the Purina Petcare subsidiary of Nestlé.
What happened, you fall and can't get up?
- A catchphrase of the late 1980s and early 1990s popular culture based upon a line from a U.S-based television commercial for a medical alarm and protection company called LifeCall.
Dean: Alright, check your Wang.
- Wang was a brand of PC and also a suite of software incorporating email that was basically out-of-business by 2007.
Well then, kick Bo Derek out of your bathtub.
- Bo Derek is an American film actress and model. There is an iconic poster of Bo Derek from the movie "10" on the wall of Bobby's panic room.
It's a monster. Juices hearts, chugs the blood. Never heard of one popping up outside of Greece though.
Dean: Looks like this freak is immigrating and snacking on cheeseheads.
- Cheesehead is a nickname for a person from Wisconsin, the state where Sam and Dean are hunting the lamia at the beginning of the episode.
I love scary movies. Hey, have you seen Drag Me to Hell
- Drag Me to Hell is a 2009 American horror film involving a lamia, a creature which Sam and Dean are coincidentally hunting in the episode. It is directed by Sam Raimi and the screenplay is by Sam Raimi and Ivan Raimi.
Okay, okay. MacLeod. Fergus MacLeod. I swear. We call him Lucky the Leprechaun behind his back.
Bobby: MacLeod's Scottish, Einstein.
- Lucky the Leprechaun is the animated spokescharacter for the General Mills cereal Lucky Charms.
When Bobby is answering calls from hunters
, one of his aliases on his bank of phones is labeled “CDC Frank Castle.” Frank Castle is the name of the Marvel Comics vigilante the Punisher.
Another phone is labelled “Police Pete Lovell,” Pete Lovell is the singer for heavy metal band Picture.
Have you seen this man? Rufus Turner, aka Luther Vandross, aka Ruben Studdard.
- Luther Vandross was a R&B and soul singer-songwriter, winner of eight Grammy Awards. Ruben Studdard is an R&B, pop, and gospel singer and won the second season of American Idol.
How about Godzilla?
Bobby: Put her down.
- Godzilla is a Japanese movie monster first appearing in Ishirō Honda's 1954 film Godzilla. Since then, Godzilla has gone on to become a worldwide pop culture icon starring in 28 films.
was human, his name was Fergus Roderick MacLeod. Fergus mac Róich
, a character from the Ulster cycle of Irish mythology, is famed for his virility (which is also the meaning of the name 'Fergus') and for the size of his penis. MacLeod is the family name of Christopher Lambert's character in the Highlander
movies, and Crowley's city of birth, Canisbay, Scotland
, is in the Highlands.
Well, then, behind door number 2, Bob, Crowley had a son.
- In the television game show Let's Make a Deal, deals are offered to members of the audience by the host. The contestants usually have to weigh the possibility of an offer "behind door number 2" being a more valuable prize than the one that they've already earned.
Fergus MacLeod's son was named Gavin MacLeod
and was a ship captain. Gavin MacLeod
is the name of an American television actor. Among his roles was playing Captain Merrill Stubing on the American television show The Love Boat.
Couple of Cousteau wannabes found the wreck about 30 years ago.
- Jacques-Yves Cousteau was a French naval officer, explorer, ecologist, filmmaker, innovator, scientist, photographer, author, and researcher who studied the sea and all forms of life in water. He co-developed the aqua-lung.
Don't we both know how this game ends? Really, Bobby, you gotta know when to fold 'em.
- A line from the Kenny Rogers song "The Gambler," which was played earlier in the episode.
I see you've been reading the trades.
- A Trade journal is a periodical, magazine, or publication printed with the intention of target marketing to a specific industry or type of trade/business. Many trade publications can also be considered news magazines with a very specific topical focus.
Mate. You... have no idea. I thought... when I got the corner office... I thought it was all going to be rainbows and two-headed puppies. But, if I'm being honest, it's been hell.
- Crowley's "two-headed puppies" reference is likely drawn from Cerberus, the dog that guarded the entrance to the Underworld in Greek mythology. It has been variously depicted as having two or three heads.
You know what the problem with demons is?
Bobby: They're demons.
Crowley: Exactly. Evil lying prats. The whole lot of them. And stupid. Try to show them a – a new way, a better way. And what do you get? Bugger all. You know, there's days that I think Lucifer's whole 'Spike anything with black eyes' plan wasn't half bad. Hmm. Feels good to get it off my chest. We should make this a thing.
Bobby: Do I look like Dr. Phil to you?
- A reference to TV host and psychologist Dr. Phil McGraw.
I know it all now. Fergus. You may be king of the dirt bags here but, in life, you were nothing but a two-bit tailor who sold his soul in exchange for an extra three inches below the belt.
Crowley: Just trying to hit double digits. So, you got a glimpse behind the curtain. And?
- The average erect penis is five to six inches long; flaccid, somewhat shorter.
- "a glimpse behind the curtain" could be a reference to the The Wizard of Oz film and the character of the wizard, who creates a godlike persona to impress the subjects of Oz but is actually just a man behind a curtain.
You hear that, Crowley? That's me flicking my Bic for you.
- Bic is a brand of disposable lighter.
Hey, any time we get to punk Crowley works for us.
- Punk'd is an American hidden camera practical joke television series that first aired on MTV in 2003 and was produced and hosted by Ashton Kutcher.
You boys have a safe flight. And, uh try some of the local grub, I hear it's... exotic.
Dean: Oh yeah, no, definitely. We are. I hear they have an Olive Garden.
- Olive Garden is a casual dining Italian restaurant chain. Olive Garden has no chains in Scotland.
- The local "exotic" grub Bobby is referring to could be Haggis, a traditional Scottish dish containing sheep's heart, liver, and lungs minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, and usually cooked encased in the animal's stomach.
At Rising Con Spain 2010
confirmed that he would be directing the fourth episode of the season, although it would be the first one they filmed, starting on June 30th.
Tweets from the set from Samantha Ferris
and Jennifer Aspen:
On set picture, and tweet 1, 2, 3, 4
Tweets from the set throughout filming by Jim Beaver:
Bobby takes NoDoz caffeine tablets to stay awake whilst doing research.
Sam and Dean stay in the Pack 'Em Inn motel.
Does tying up demons in your basement make you feel better about that time that you killed your wife?
- Bobby was introduced into the supernatural when his wife Karen Singer was possessed by a demon who forced Bobby to stab her in self-defense before Rufus exorcised her, killing Karen in the aftermath of the dispossession.
cases that Bobby helped with in the episode involved monsters with similar methods of dispatching. The lamia
Sam and Dean were hunting required a silver knife blessed by a priest as one method of killing it. The okami
that Rufus was hunting required it to be stabbed seven times with a bamboo dagger blessed by a Shinto priest. In both cases alternate methods were used; the lamia was incinerated by Sam and Dean, and the okami was thrown into a wood chipper by Bobby.
In 5.20 The Devil You Know
is furious that a group of demons ate his tailor. In this episode, it is revealed that in life Crowley was himself a tailor.