|Episode #||Season 2, Episode 3|
|First aired||October 12, 2006|
|Directed by||Robert Singer|
|Written by||Sera Gamble|
|Outline||When Sam and Dean encounter Gordon, a fellow hunter who has been systematically killing vampires in a small town, Dean immediately bonds with the man.|
|Location(s)||Red Lodge, Montana|
|« Previous Episode | Next Episode »|
Back in a newly restored Impala, Sam and Dean are investigating some murders and cattle mutilations, when they discover that the latest victim is a vampire. They meet another hunter, Gordon Walker, who has been hunting vampires ever since one took his sister. Gordon has heard of Sam and Dean, but declines their help on his hunt. After rescuing Gordon from a vampire attack, however, Dean and Gordon bond over a few drinks. Dean admits that he is putting on a brave face for Sam, and that his father’s death has affected him deeply.
Sam, suspicious of Gordon, is returning to the motel when he is captured by the vampires who are led by Lenore. She explains that the vampires have forsworn killing humans and are trying to live peacefully, drinking only cattle blood. Released unharmed, Sam tries to convince Dean that they should not pursue the vampires. Dean insists that anything supernatural should be killed, while Sam argues their mission is to stop evil. The argument ends when Dean punches Sam after he accuses Dean of using Gordon as replacement for their father.
They boys track down the vampire homestead where Gordon is torturing Lenore. Dean and Sam argue with Gordon that unlike the vampires that killed his sister, these vampires are different. Gordon reveals that the vampire that attacked his sister didn't kill her, but turned her, and afterward he hunted her down himself and killed her. Dean is horrified by the revelation. Gordon grabs Sam and cuts him, taunting Lenore with his blood. When Lenore shows that she is capable of fighting her vampiric urges, Dean overpowers Gordon, allowing Sam to rescue Lenore.
Sam takes Lenore and leaves to help her and her friends leave town. Meanwhile, Dean ties Gordon up. When Sam returns, Dean admits that Sam was right and muses that their world does not seem as black and white as it once did.
- Cattle Mutilation
- Costumes & Disguises
- Dead Man's Blood
- Dean's Amulet
- Dean's Leather Jacket
- Gordon's Car
- Table of Death
- Weekly World News
- "Wheel in the Sky" by Journey
- (plays during recap of previous events)
- "Back in Black" by AC/DC
- (plays during the opening scene as Sam and Dean are driving in the repaired Impala)
- "Time and Time Again" by Long John Hunter
- (plays at the bar when the boys meet Eli)
- "Golden Rule" by Lil' Ed & the Blues Imperials
- (plays while Dean, Sam, and Gordon hang out at the bar)
- "Funny Car Graveyard" by Lee Rocker
- (plays when Sam calls Ellen and asks about Gordon)
Sam: You know, if you two wanna get a room, just let me know, Dean.
Sam: Wow. Give you a couple of severed heads and a pile of dead cows and you're Mister Sunshine.
Sam: Yeah, reversed pentacle on the forehead.
Dean: You seem to know a lot about our family.
Gordon: Word travels fast. You know how hunters talk.
Dean: No, we don't, actually.
Sam: He's the only one who gets to call me that.
Gordon: Okay. No offense meant. Just celebrating a little. Job well done.
Gordon: Embraced the life?
Dean: And then?
Lenore: It's not ideal, in fact it's disgusting. But... it allows us to get by.
Sam: Okay, uh, why?
Sam: No, Dean, that is not our job. Our job is hunting evil. And if these things aren't killing people, they're not evil!
Dean: Of course they're killing people, that's what they do. They're all the same, Sam. They're not human, okay? We have to exterminate every last one of them.
Sam: Yeah Dean, but you didn't. And that's what matters.
Dean: Yeah. Well, 'cause you're a pain in my ass.
Sam: Guess I might have to stick around to be a pain in the ass then.
Trivia & References
The morgue attendant's name tag says "J. Manners." This is a reference to series producer Kim Manners. Arguably the exchange between him and Dean is another reference - Dean says, "John...?" and the attendant replies, "It's Jeff." Jeffrey Dean Morgan plays John Winchester.
Sam: Yeah, here, go ahead.
Dean: No, you go ahead.
Dean: "Put the lotion in the basket."
- Reference to the fact that serial killer "Buffalo Bill" placed moths in the mouths of his victims in The Silence of the Lambs. "Put the lotion in the basket," is reference to this scene. Later whenEllen speaks to Sam, she also references the movie when she says "Yeah, and Hannibal Lecter is a good psychiatrist."
- "Sleep all day, party all night," which is part of the tagline for the 1987 vampire film The Lost Boys.
Gordon: How to kill them. Now seriously, bro. That knife's making me itch. Whoa. Easy there, Chachi. See? Fangless. Happy? Now. Who the hell are you?
- Chachi is a reference to the character Chachi Arcola from the sitcom Happy Days.
- This line is similar to Rocky Balboa's comment after the fight in Rocky IV: "If I can change, and you can change, everybody can change."
Sides, Scripts & Transcripts
- 2.03 Bloodlust (transcript)
- Bloodlust Script (Production Draft, Grip Department Breakdown)
- Casting sides for Gordon Walker
- Casting sides for Lenore
- Sawmill Site Plan
- SPN Heavy Meta Season Two Meta Index
- 2.03 Bloodlust: Painful Shades of Grey by bardicvoice (October 2006); archive link
- Bond, Silvia. 2008. Meet Me at the Honky Tonk: "Bloodlust" Season 2, Episode 3. Pink Raygun, June 3; archive link