Eileen: Is he okay?
Sam: I think. It's funny. After everything with Chuck, uh, Dean was so... down I thought he wouldn't get back up again, but now, him leaving? That's progress. Right?
Sheriff Dillion: Oh, Agent Dukes? Hollywood ain't that far. You could catch Angela there. While you're at it, you could give showbiz a shot for yourself. You got the look.
Lee: Tell me brother. How's the old man?
Dean: He died. Yeah, 13 years ago. But hey, he was doing what he loved the most -- kicking ass and taking names.
You remember that time he caught us wasted on a hunt? Hm? He was so mad. I-I thought he was gonna have an aneurysm.
Dean: Oh, man, but I'll tell you what. He always liked you. He always liked you. In fact, he said that he's never seen anybody better in a fight, and that is high praise coming from my old man.
To John Winchester.
Castiel: Let me rephrase. If you don't help me tonight, I will find you and burn you alive.
Sergei: My, how your negotiation skills have improved.
Dean: Trust me, uh, bigger doesn't always equal better. Besides, who's gonna look out after the little guy? God certainly isn't.
Sergei: Most wounds want to be healed, to be whole. But this, this wound is different. It goes down to his very soul. But also out into the world. From what I can tell, his soul, it's connected to something or someone somewhere. Except as you probed deeper, you forced the soul to stretch from Sam's body to...
Dean, you and I both know no one's innocent. After everything we've done, aren't -- aren't we owed a little happiness, huh? Don't we deserve that much?
Dean: Listen to yourself. "We're owed." "We deserve." Come on, man. You're not God. Hell, God's not even God.
Good or bad... the world doesn't care. No one cares, Dean.
Lee: You really wanna do this?
Dean: No, I don't. But I kill monsters.
Lee: Why do you care so much, Dean?
Dean: Because someone has to.
I feel like, uh... I feel like I was in his head.
Dean: You were in Chuck's head?
I think so. And... and I think I... I saw his memories. Dean, Chuck is weak. I think we can beat him. I think we can beat God.
uses the alias "Agent Dukes", a reference to the eponymous brothers from The Dukes of Hazzard
(Dean and Lee later sing the show's theme song at Swayze's).
Dukes? Like "put up your dukes"?
- This is a quote from the 1988 Jean-Claude Van Damme martial arts movie Bloodsport.
Look, this is a small town. Angela's mom and dad passed a few years ago, but even before they did, she was talking about moving to L.A., trying to get on one of them competition shows, like the one with the "Knight Rider."
- "Knight Rider" refers to the 1982 TV series starring David Hasselhoff, who was once a judge on the reality show competition series America's Got Talent.
I stayed there a whole month. Oh, they don't know what they missed. I could've been the next Denzel.
- Denzel refers to actor Denzel Washington.
The name of Lee Webb's bar, Swayze's Bar, is a reference to actor Patrick Swayze, who starred in the 1989 movie Road House.
Dean has previously referenced Swayze's role in the movie when visiting a roadhouse in 11.04 Baby
The band at Swayze's Bar is a band made up of the Supernatural
crew called The Impalas
that has played together for many years. Here they are called "The Texas Impalas" and are made up of Perry Battista, Tracy Dunlop, Dave Webb, Cam Beck, and Chris Glynn Jones.
"Road House" rules.
- "Road House rules" refers to the three simple rules stated by Patrick Swayze give the bouncers in Road House:
- "One, never underestimate your opponent.. expect the unexpected; Two, take it outside, never start anything inside the bar unless it's absolutely necessary; and Three...be nice."
I like this version of you Castiel. It's very... Russian.
- This may be a reference to Misha Collins. His mother was obsessed with Russia, and named him Dmitri after a boyfriend. His stage name Misha is also a nickname his mother gave him from her Russian boyfriend.
Oh, God Bless Texas.
- "God bless Texas" is a phrase that can be found on many souvenirs in Texas, as well as special license plates. Here Dean is also referring to the fact that Texans have a affinity for guns, as he finds a loaded shotgun behind the bar.
Would you like a shot at the title?
- This is a quote from Mel Gibson's character Marin Riggs in the 1987 action movie Lethal Weapon.
Sam has learned more American Sign Language by this episode.
brands seen in Swayze's Bar include Tom's Tequila (which is named for director Thomas Wright
), El Sol, Margiekugel, LarkKair, Tejas Dark Ale, Wyeth's Stout Beer, Old Rock Dark Ale, El Burro, and Fast Jack's Ale. The beer Lee drinks is a "Family Business" beer, referring to Jensen's Family Business Beer Company
. The Family Business logo is also seen on a beer coaster, a business card, and a barometer.
Ghost sickness. Man, it was no fun. Everything was scary. This cat jumped out at me, had me checking my pants. I'm not joking. It was awful, man.
- Dean tells Lee Webb about his experiences with Ghost sickness in 4.06 Yellow Fever.
Well, never got a standing ovation before.
- A reference to Dean singing karaoke during his misadventures with Crowley in Beulah, North Dakota. In 10.01 Black, Dean got jeers and food thrown at him instead of applause, though his choice of songs warranted that reaction. He even wears the same clothing from that episode.
There is a poster in Swayze's Bar
advertising "Pioneer Days" in Texahoma with Jerry Wanek
as the Grand Marshall. The same artwork was used in 5.02 Good God, Y'All
except it was for "Pioneer Days" in River Pass, Colorado.