Dean: Whatever you saw, we'll believe you. Ashley, listen to me. Whatever you're about to say, I want you to know we've heard worse. We've heard weirder.
Dean: Werewolves, monsters -- they're all real. And me and my brother, we hunt them and we kill them. That's what we do.
Do you like your job?
Dean: What do you mean?
Ashley: I mean monsters.
Right. Do I like it? Uh, I do. I mean there's bad, don't get me wrong -- there's a lot of bad. Still, it feels good to help people, you know?
Ashley: It's all just do random and awful. Wouldn't it be great if everything was just planned out for you. If it was all just already decided.
Dean: No, not really.
No, you're dead.
Lilith: Was dead, yeah. In the Empty, sleeping the big sleep, until the boss brought me back.
Sam: Boss? Lucifer?
God. I was supposed to get rescued and in a moment of sweet relief seduce Dean -- blah, blah, blah. But obviously that's not happening now? Oh, well.
Dean: Why are you doing this? You even said it yourself, this is stupid.
Lilith: It is. Do you think I want to be here? I died to free Lucifer from the Cage. I had to die for what I wanted most. Then you two went and screed it all up.
Why would I ever tell you anything?
Sam: Because I've killed you before, and I can do it again.
See, you keep saying that. But you killed me because I let you. Now I'm feeling less generous.
Dean. My dreams, or visions, or whatever. They all end the same way, with us killing each other.
Dean: You're just telling me this now?
Sam: I thought they must have been some form of messed up PTSD. But, what if they're not. What if I'm somehow seeing Chuck's endings. You know different ones.
Dean: How would that be possible.
Because of this. When I shot Chuck, the bullet wasn't a bullet -- it was a piece of me. Right? So what if it created a link of some sort, what if somehow I'm in his head?
This was supposed to be over. We were done. We were free, and now -- what are we supposed to, man? Do we just keep running in this freaking hamster wheel until we die? Or until we get boring and he ends us?
Sam: Or we fight.
Fight God? Without the gun? It's God, Sam. And He's coming for us. How the hell are we supposed to fight God?
Trivia & References
- “The crucible is for silver, and the furnace is for gold, and the Lord tests hearts.”
Yeah, but you two got jobs, and are both leaving. I have a philosophy degree and drive Uber.
Dude, ghost peppers are really hot.
Gee, another one? Well, why don't you tell me about it. No come on, I'll Freud you. Keep you awake till we hit Colorado.
Hamil and Ford. Ha. That is a deep cut.
- Sam and Dean go undercover as U.S. Wildlife Service agents, with Sam taking the alias "Agent Mark Hamil" and Dean using "Agent Dean Ford". Sam and Dean last used these identities in 1.03 Dead in the Water. "Deep cut", originally a music term, generally means an obscure reference that only people with an intimate knowledge of a topic will get. Additionally, when Eric Kripke was pitching Supernatural, he used the phrase "Star Wars in truck stop America", and described the characters of Sam and Dean (then Harrison) thus:
- “If Sam’s the good kid, Dean’s the troublemaker. If Sam’s Luke Skywalker, Dean’s Han Solo.”
Did you ever want to be anything else?
Dean: Jimi Hendrix. No not really. I'm where I'm supposed to be.
- Jimi Hendrix was one of the most influential rock guitarists in history. In 9.07 Bad Boys a young Dean tells Robin that he wants to be a rock star.
Let me guess, one of Chuck's lines.
Lilith: Word for word. God -- he is not exactly Shakespeare. He's more of a low rent Dean Koontz. I had to listen to his whole quote -- "riting philosophy -- and his very weird, very pervy obsession with you. And it always ends the same, one brother killing the other. I mean, this world. He could have ended it in so many ways. He likes that one. You know, I guess that's why you had to see the werewolf bros die the way they did, because "foreshadowing."
Have you ever heard of lingchi
? It's Chinese. It means lingering death -- death by a thousand cuts.
"Proverbs 17:3" marks Steve Yockey
's final episode for Supernatural
before moving on to his new series, The Flight Attendant
for HBO MAX. Yockey wrote in a Twitter post
- "My final episode of #Supernatural airs tonight with @dicksp8jr at the helm. Was incredibly lucky to work on this rad show with such an amazing group of folks. Enjoy the ride! ☠️🖤"
Sam and Dean use U.S. Wildlife Services ID's from 1.03 Dead in the Water
, with the running joke that Dean does not look like his picture, even though Jensen barely seems to have aged. While no one mentions Sam's ID, despite his photo looking like he is in his early 20's.
tells Sam and Dean she was sleeping in the Empty
, when Chuck brought her back. In 13.04 The Big Empty
, the Cosmic Entity
tells the recently awoken Castiel
- "No. No, no, no. Not with me, and I’m the only one that has any pull here. Not Heaven, not Hell, not G-O-D himself. So think harder. Rack that perky little brain of yours."
Nick was also able to call Lucifer
forth from the Empty, suggesting the Entity is not as omnipotent as it claims.
Sides, Scripts & Transcripts