- "Don't Let the Rain Come Down (Crooked Little Man)" by The Serendipity Singers
- (playing in the bar when Sam and Dean meet with Metatron)
Okay, so um, Chuck. I guess we don't call you that, huh?
Chuck: I prefer it.
Sam: Okay, uh, Chuck it is. I'm sorry, you're gonna have to give Dean and me a moment to start to process. We didn't know you were around. I mean we knew about Chuck, but we just didn't know about 'Chuck.' I-I-I was hoping you were around, I prayed and I don't know if they got lost in the spam-
Here's the thing, um, Chuck. And I mean no disrespect. Um, I'm guessing you came back to help with the Darkness, and that's great. That's, you know, fantastic. But you've been gone a long, long time, and there's so much crap that has gone down on the earth for thousands of years. I mean the plagues and wars, slaughters, and you were... I don't know, writing books? Going to fan conventions? Were you even aware or did you just tune it out?
Chuck: I was aware, Dean.
Dean: But you did nothing. And again, I'm not trying to piss you off. I don't want to turn into a pillar of salt.
Chuck: I actually, I didn't do that.
Okay. People prayed to you. People built churches for you. Fought wars in your name, and you did nothing.
You're frustrated. I get it. Believe me, I was hands-on, real hands-on, for... wow, ages. I was so sure if I kept stepping in, teaching, punishing. These beautiful creatures I created would grow up. But it only stayed the same and I saw that I needed to step away and let my baby find its way. Being overinvolved is no longer parenting. It's enabling.
Dean: But, It didn't get better.
Chuck: I've been mulling it over and from where I sit, I think it has.
Dean: Well from where I sit, it feels like you left us and you're trying to to justify.
I know you had a complicated upbringing, Dean, but don't confuse me with your dad.
you have to understand this about the Darkness. She's relentless, a force beyond human comprehension. It's the only reason I came off the sidelines.
Sam: Must have been great being her brother, huh?
It was the worst. Always telling me what to do, making me do what she wanted. I mean, you guys know how that works.
Amara: Spoiled brat. I needed solitude and He needed a fan club. So He made all that, and when I complained. He stuffed me in a hole for eons, with your help.
Dean: Is that my computer?
Chuck: I've never seen so much porn. Not in one sitting.
Donatello: I-I-I guess you know that I was an atheist, until ten minutes ago. Is that an issue?
Chuck: Not from me. I mean, I believe in me, but your skepticism is to be expected. I did include free will in the kit.
Dean: Look, you started this. You started all of this. But does that give you the right to end it? You know, we're not just some toys you throw away. I think you owe us more than that.
Chuck: If my plan doesn't work, then humans will step up. You, Sam, others that are the chosen will have to find a way. It's why I saved you years ago. You're the firewall between light and darkness.
Amara: I missed you, and the sensations you arouse. I know you feel the same way, so what do we do?
Dean: There can be no us. We should just walk away.
This place, this world hasn't been especially easy for you. Why not at least consider my offer.
Dean: This world is flawed, I'll give you that. But I am not ready to say goodbye to it yet.
But one way or another you will. It's inevitable. My brother won't stop me again, because He can't. Dean, give up your smallness, your humanity, and become boundless within me.
Dean: You're right. I am drawn to you. And it bothers the hell out of me, because I can't control it.
Amara: Then why fight it? What you're feeling is that I'm the end of your struggle. Something stops you, keeps you from having it all.
You were kidding with that, weren't you?
Metatron: He meant well. Spare the universe.
Occasionally I do answer a prayer... You've changed.
Lucifer: You've changed.
Well still. I'm really pretty much the same.
Dean: Still twitchy, huh? Well, you met God, Lucifer, and the Darkness. You're gonna need a spa day. That or a pair of hookers.
Sam: So you wanna tell me about it? I mean, Amara obviously figured out something was going on and she didn't rip your head off.
Dean: She wants me to be a part of her. Not metaphorically, I'm talking literally. Forever. So in other words, adios.
Trivia & References
All in the Family
was a 1970s sitcom about the Bunker family. Written by Norman Lear
, it was renowned for dealing with many social issues not previously depicted on TV.
But you did nothing. And again, I'm not trying to piss you off. I don't want to turn into a pillar of salt.
Chuck: I actually, I didn't do that.
- In the Book of Genesis, Lot and his wife and children are rescued from Sodom by two angels. They are told not to look behind them, however, Lot's wife does and she turns into a pillar of salt.
Does God sleep?
Sam: I know he takes really long showers.
Dean: Right? And sings, too. Like, crappy old folk songs. I had to tell him to cool it three times.
- Fare Thee Well, the song Chuck sings in 11.20 Don't Call Me Shurley, is an American folk song.
Call me Donatello. I'm named after him.
Dean: The Mutant Ninja Turtle?
Donatello: The Renaissance sculptor.
- Donato di Niccolò di Betto Bardi, known as Donatello, was an Italian sculptor during the early Renaissance. Dean is referring to the comic book/TV series Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, whose main characters are four anthropomorphic turtles named after four famous Renaissance artists.
When you see Amara, you throwing in the towel?
Chuck: Ah, Metatron. Loose lips. You think I'm a dick, what do you care?
- The phrase "Loose lips sink ships" originated during World War II, advising people not to talk carelessly about sensitive information.
Oh goody. Larry, Curly, Moe. Search and rescue?
- Larry, Curly, and Moe are the first names of the comedy trio The Three Stooges.
Oh, wow. It's one of Dad's favorites. Your ticket finally got punched, huh? It's wacky, isn't it? One minute you're nobody, and then 'Shazam' you're Joan of Arc. Let's hope this ends better than that.
- "Shazam" is the word spoken by Billy Batson that causes him to be struck by lighting and turn into the superhero, Captain Marvel. Joan of Arc was a French heroine during the Hundred Years' War. She was burned at the stake at the age of 19 in 1431. She was declared a saint in the name of the Roman Catholic church.
You're gonna help us take her down. If you say 'no,' we're just gonna leave you here in Abu Ghraib.
- Abu Ghraib was a prison in Iraq. It was closed down in 2014 after reports leaked showing the torture of prisoners.
You grab this from the steno pool?
- A "steno pool" is a group of office workers who would take dictation and transcribe notes.
What happens in Heaven, stays in Heaven.
- A version of the marketing phrase, "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas."
It's okay Sam, you go.
Sam: What? Come on.
Metatron: I'm serious. I got this.
- "I got this" were the last words of Harry "Opie" Winston in the show Sons of Anarchy before he sacrifices himself to protect his friends.
Despite this episode occurring right after 11.20 Don't Call Me Shurley
, the news article Sam
pulls up on the new rabid
infection mentions that the Hope Springs infection was weeks earlier.
Sides, Scripts & Transcripts