Timeline (Season 10)
- Days spent on each case include the day after they solve them, if it is shown in the episode.
- Day counts assume one driving day in cases when the boys hear about the case and must travel to the location, unless otherwise stated.
- Day counts count partial days as full days (meaning if an episode starts late at night, that night counts as a day)
- Priority of information sources: A) Dialogue, B) Logic, C) Art/Props Department, D) Other Official Sources, E) Conjecture.
- 1 ~ End of June – July 29-31, 2014 - 10.01 Black
- 2 August 1 – August 2, 2014 - 10.02 Reichenbach
- 3 August 2 – August 3, 2014 - 10.03 Soul Survivor
- 4 Unknown, 2014 - 10.04 Paper Moon
- 5 Fall 2014 - 10.05 Fan Fiction
- 6 Unknown 2014 - 10.06 Ask Jeeves
- 7 Unknown 2014 - 10.07 Girls, Girls, Girls
- 8 Unknown Friday and Saturday 2014 - 10.08 Hibbing 911
- 9 Unknown 2014 - 10.09 The Things We Left Behind
- 10 Unknown 2014 - 10.10 The Hunter Games
- 11 Unknown - 10.11 There's No Place Like Home
- 12 Unknown - 10.12 About A Boy
- 13 Mid or Late March, 2015 - 10.13 Halt and Catch Fire
- 14 Late March or Early April, 2015 - 10.14 The Executioner's Song
- 15 Unknown 2015 - 10.15 The Things They Carried
- 16 Unknown 2015 - 10.16 Paint It Black
- 17 Unknown 2015 - 10.17 Inside Man
- 18 Unknown 2015 - 10.18 Book of the Damned
- 19 Unknown 2015 - 10.19 The Werther Project
- 20 Unknown 2015 - 10.20 Angel Heart
- 21 Unknown 2015 - 10.21 Dark Dynasty
- 22 Possibly Late May/Early June, 2015 - 10.22 The Prisoner
- 23 Possibly Late May/Early June, 2015 - 10.23 Brother's Keeper
~ End of June – July 29-31, 2014 - 10.01 Black
Day Count: 3
Location: Beulah, ND; Portage, WI; The Bunker (Lebanon, KS.)
Sam searches for any sign of his missing brother over the course of 4 weeks. Then, we spend 3 calendar days with Dean and his new Black eyes in Beulah, ND. Sam eventually finds and follows clues from the Bunker to Portage, WI, and then towards Beulah, ND, though he never quite makes it there. Meanwhile, we spend an unknown amount of time (possibly only a day) with Cas and Hannah, as they try to track down a pair of angels who refuse to return to Heaven.
- While Sam is looking at Crop reports on the computer, we see that he’s looking at the reports for May 2014. It seems that perhaps the props/art department decided that the S9 finale must have happened in May – however, I like keeping my dates, so I’m going to assume that Sam was looking at May in order to compare them to June.
- Dean says that he got the memo about the turning into a demon “six weeks ago” – which to me is a reference to the S9 finale.
- Crowley says that everything he’s done for Dean “in the past 6 months, since the Mark...” has been a favor. If Dean got the Mark six months ago, that would put this episode in June, not July – and that doesn’t work with the dates in the S9 finale as I have them... so, you could either push the dates back, or you could believe that Crowley was speaking imprecisely.
- We spend 4 weeks with Sam, but only two 24 hours periods with Dean. Dean starts the episode on Karaoke night at the bar and also ends the episode on a Karaoke night at the bar. We can see by the advertisements in the bar that Karaoke nights are every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Having the episode span Tuesday-Thursday night works well for the amount of time that we see pass for Dean and Crowley.
- It’s a 10 hour drive from Lebanon, KS, to Portage, WI, and also a 10 hour drive from Portage, WI, to Beulah, ND. It’s hard to determine whether the phone call between Sam and Crowley happened on Wednesday or Thursday, but my guess would be Thursday, given that Crowley tells Dean to take the night to “think about it” – so he had to have been confident that Sam wouldn’t reach them too quickly.
August 1 – August 2, 2014 - 10.02 Reichenbach
Day Count: approx. 2
Location: Beulah, ND; unknown
Sam continues to hunt down Dean. Castiel and Hannah try to join, but Cas’ illness gets them into a car accident and they spend a night at a mechanic’s house instead, and then Hannah makes a detour in order to talk to Metatron about Castiel’s missing grace.
August 2 – August 3, 2014 - 10.03 Soul Survivor
Day Count: unknown
Location: The Bunker (Lebanon, KS); unknown
As the Soul Survivor (in human form) of the Winchester family, Sam spends an unknown number of hours (over two calendar days) trying to un-demonize Dean in the Bunker, in Lebanon, KS. Meanwhile, Cas and Hannah continue their journey to meet up with Sam, getting waylaid by rogue angels and Crowley along the way.
- It’s an 11 hour drive from Beulah, ND to Lebanon, KS, which means that Sam and Dean probably arrived at the Bunker in the evening of August 2nd. Sam then went out to acquire blessed-blood before starting the ritual
Unknown, 2014 - 10.04 Paper Moon
Day Count: 2
Location: Durham, WA
Sam and Dean try to take a vacation by driving up to Washington state, but quickly decide to take care of whatever is causing some local “animal attacks” first. The episode takes place over 2 days near Durham, WA, and the brothers only seem to travel within the state.
- I’m assuming the brothers were close to Durham when they decided to take the case, so no extra time has been added to the day count for travel.
Fall 2014 - 10.05 Fan Fiction
Day Count: at least 2
Location: Flint, MI
The boys discover Supernatural Fan Fiction in the form of a high school musical, when they investigate the disappearance of a teacher in Flint, MI. We spend at least 2 days in this episode, but it is most likely more.
- It’s two days between when Sam and Dean hear about the case and when they realize that the musical has to be performed in order for them to save the missing people. However, it is an unknown length of time between that realization and the night of the performance.
- I’m assuming that since Dean read about the disappearance in a newspaper, they are relatively close to Flint, MI, at the beginning of the episode – as a disappearance would probably only be local or state news, rather than national.
- According to the newspaper, the teacher was kidnapped on Wednesday evening and has been missing three days. This would mean that the newspaper is a Sunday edition, which means that Sam and Dean may arrive at the school on the Monday, with Maggie’s disappearance occurring Monday night, and the discussion about Calliope happening on Tuesday. It’s unknown when performance night was.
- School is in session, which means that it must, at the very least, be September.
Unknown 2014 - 10.06 Ask Jeeves
Day Count: 1
Location: New Canaan, CT
Dean finds one of Bobby’s old cellphones and discovers that he’s been named in the will of a deceased heiress. Sam and Dean travel to New Canaan, CT, to collect, only to stumble into a murder mystery, where the easiest way to solve it might be to Ask Jeeves. We only spend 1 day in this episode.
- Although I usually add a day for traveling when the boys are shown to be somewhere in the opening scene, I’ve decided that since it was shown to be the morning, and the boys never change clothes, that they probably were only a few hours away at most when Dean discovered the cell message.
Unknown 2014 - 10.07 Girls, Girls, Girls
Day Count: 2
Location: Missouri; unknown
A brothel run by demons leaves Dean and Sam chasing down a witch, who seems to also be interested in acquiring some Girls, Girls, Girls. Meanwhile, Hannah has a crisis of morals while out with Castiel. We spend 2 days with the boys somewhere in or near Missouri. Castiel and Hannah travel from unknown locations to unknown locations in an unknown amount of time.
- Dean tells Sam that their stopping for lunch at the Steakhouse because it’s the best/cheapest steak between Connecticut and the Bunker, which implies that they’re on their way home after the previous episode.
- Dean is meeting a girl from a dating site that lists her home state as Missouri, so it’s a safe bet that he is probably meeting her in Missouri, which means that the steakhouse is in Missouri.
- Sam tells us that they had to detour 8 hours in order to go to the steakhouse – from what I can tell, a trip to Missouri would only add another 4 hours at most to a trip from New Canaan, CT, to Lebanon, KS – so, either Sam and Dean ran into a lot of construction or traffic, or they decided to take the scenic route.
Unknown Friday and Saturday 2014 - 10.08 Hibbing 911
Day Count: 2
Location: Hibbing, ND; The Bunker (Lebanon, KS)
Jody enters the Hibbing 911 zone to attend a Sheriff’s retreat, where she meets Sheriff Donna Hascum and finds a nest of vampires. This episode takes place over two days (assuming that Jody arrives early Friday morning) and has Sam and Dean traveling up from the Bunker to join the hunt on the second day.
- Sam and Dean still have the “night lighting” on in the Bunker, even though Jody calls them shortly after 9am on Friday. It’s possible that Dean has been awake all night.
- It’s about a 12 hour drive from Lebanon, KS, to Hibbing, MN. So that works with the timeframe of Sam and Dean leaving Friday morning and seeing Jody until Saturday morning.
- We know the retreat starts on a Friday because of the schedule posted in the lobby that Donna reads. The welcome speech by Sheriff Len is listed as occurring at 9am on Friday morning. The speech was very short and I’m assuming that Donna and Jody were reading the schedule soon after which was where they were told about the animal attack that prompted Jody to immediately call Sam and Dean.
Unknown 2014 - 10.09 The Things We Left Behind
Day Count: approx. 3
Location: Pontiac, IL
When Castiel starts thinking about The Things We Left Behind, it leads him back to Pontiac, IL, to find Claire Novak. We spent approx. 3 days in this episode, with Sam and Dean joining Cas on the third day.
- It takes around 10 hours to drive to Pontiac, IL, from Lebanon, KS, so Sam and Dean most likely drove all night as soon as Castiel called them.
- We find out that Claire was abandoned by her mother only a few months after their encounter with the demons and Castiel in S4. Claire’s grandmother eventually died, causing Claire to put into the foster-care system. We also learn that Jimmy Novak died when Castiel was “ripped apart on the subatomic level by an archangel”, which first happened in 4x22 Lucifer Rising.
Unknown 2014 - 10.10 The Hunter Games
Day Count: 3
Location: The Bunker (Lebanon KS), unknown location, Somerset PA
The boys deal with the fallout of Dean’s massacre. Cas continues to try to reach out to Claire, while also getting Metatron from Heaven so that Sam and Dean can interrogate him for knowledge of the Mark of Cain. There are at least 2 days in this episode, but it’s extremely hard to count. Cas travels to several unknown locations, including the doorway to Heaven with Sam.
- Sam refers the events of the previous episode as “that night”, so it occurred more than one day ago.
Unknown - 10.11 There's No Place Like Home
Day Count: at least 4
Location: The Bunker (Lebanon KS); Junction City, KS
Charlie decides that There’s No Place Like Home and returns from Oz, only she returns with her good and bad sides divided. Sam and Dean spent at least 24 hours trying to reunite Charlie with herself, while preventing Dark!Charlie from murdering the man who killed her parents. They travel between the Bunker, Topeka, and Junction City, Kansas. Charlie then spends 2 days recuperating before leaving, making the episode span AT LEAST 4 days.
Unknown - 10.12 About A Boy
Day Count: 4
Location: Pendelton OR, The Bunker (Lebanon KS)
The boys travel to Pendelton, OR, where we find out About A Boy, when Dean ends up fourteen again. The opening montage of Dean researching takes place over 5-7 days, but the case takes place over only 4 days, at least 2 of which are spent driving between the Bunker and Pendelton.
- The teaser death (JP) happens on a Sunday
- Sam informs us that Dean hasn’t left the Bunker “in a week”, we can probably safely assume that he hasn’t been out of the Bunker since the events of the previous episode. In the last scene of the previous episode, Charlie tells us that she had already been back in the Bunker for 2 days before she left. If those add to the count of Dean’s “week” in the Bunker, than the opening montage takes place over 5 days.
Mid or Late March, 2015 - 10.13 Halt and Catch Fire
Day Count: 4
Location: The Bunker (Lebanon, KS); Spencer IO
Sam and Dean track a ghost who died in a car accident that caused them to Halt and Catch Fire. They drive from the Bunker to Spencer, IO. We spent 4 days in his episode.
- The episode takes place at a college, where we’re told both that finals are coming up and also that “most of the students have already left on Spring Break.” Finals are usually in April, but Spring Break is usually in March for most university and colleges and in America. So, this college is either having early finals or a late spring break, or both – whichever the case, it’s probably safe to place this episode in mid to late March.
Late March or Early April, 2015 - 10.14 The Executioner's Song
Day Count: at least 4
Location: West Livingston TX, The Bunker (Lebanon KS), Ohio, Illinois
When Cain starts a killing spree, it’s an Executioner’s Song, as Dean, Sam, and Cas, prepare to take on the Father of Murder. This episode takes place over at least 4 days, with the boys travelling from West Livingston, TX, to the Bunker, to Ohio, and then home again. Cas travels from Illinois to the Bunker, and then to Ohio with Sam and Dean, and then back to the Bunker again (with a detour to hide the First Blade somewhere.)
- Dean reference a conversation from the previous episode as happening “last week.”
- It takes 12 hours to drive from West Livingston, TX, to the Bunker. And 14 hours to drive from the Bunker to Ohio.
Unknown 2015 - 10.15 The Things They Carried
Day Count: at least 3
Location: The Bunker (Lebanon KS), Fayetteville NC
Sam and Dean hunt a former soldier and discover The Things They Carried back from Iraq. The episode takes place over at least 3 days, with two of those days being devoted to getting from the Bunker to Fayetteville, NC. The hunt itself only takes one day. They have a very long night which might take them to a fourth day, but possibly not.
- The article about the death, and Cole’s emails, are all dated for January 8, 2015, but as that doesn’t fit into the timing for the rest of the episodes, I’m disregarding it. The production often uses the dates of filming in things like that, rather than dates that make sense for the story.
Unknown 2015 - 10.16 Paint It Black
Day Count: at least 3
Location: Worcester MA
The boys head to Worcester, MA, when there is a case of serial suicides connected by a catholic church. Meanwhile, in hell, Rowena finally convinces Crowley to help her get her revenge on the Grand Coven by capturing their leader. This episode takes place over at least 3 days. The boys are already on their way to MA when the episode begins.
- The ghost’s back-story takes place in 1520 in Florence, Italy.
Unknown 2015 - 10.17 Inside Man
Day Count: 2
Location: The Bunker (Lebanon KS); unknown locations
Sam and Cas use their Inside Man in Heaven to bust Metatron out in the hopes that he’ll be able to help Dean. Meanwhile, Dean hustles some pool and has a confrontation with Rowena. The episode takes place over 2 days. Sam and Cas travel from the Bunker to the unknown location of Heaven’s door, to another (local) unknown location of a psychic.
- The psychic has to live close to wherever the door to Heaven is, otherwise Sam and Cas would not be able to travel between the door and the psychic and back again in the same night.
- Also, the door to Heaven has to be within a day’s drive of Lebanon, KS, because Sam only told Dean that he’d be gone for one night.
- We’re told that Sam wakes up to Dean having a nightmare exactly 24 hours before Sam and Cas go to the psychic.
Unknown 2015 - 10.18 Book of the Damned
Day Count: at least 3
Location: The Bunker (Lebanon KS), Des Moines IO, unknown locations
Charlie returns with the Book of the Damned, only she’s followed by a mysterious occult family with ties to the book. Sam and Dean travel from the Bunker to meet up with her at one of Bobby’s cabins near Des Moines, IO. Meanwhile, Metatron leads Castiel to his grace. The bulk of the episode takes place over at least 3 days, with Sam meeting Rowena on a fourth day which is not consecutive.
- In the months since we’ve last seen Charlie, she has been to Russia and Alaska, according to Jacob Styne who followed her through those areas. Since her hunt for the book started in Italy, I’m thinking that her escape back to America might have been by traveling east, over the Bering Strait, rather than west over the Atlantic
- It only takes around 5 hours to drive from Lebanon, KS, to Des Moines, Iowa.
Unknown 2015 - 10.19 The Werther Project
Day Count: 3
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
In order to translate the book of the damned, Sam has to figure out how to beat The Werther Project, a magic safe that was buried in a basement in St. Louis, Missouri. This episode takes place over 3 days, which may or may not be consecutive. The first day is the same as the last day of the previous episode (but that was also a non consecutive day.)
- We find out that Cuthbert Sinclair (Magnus) was expulsed from the Men of Letters on May 16th 1956.
- We know it’s been a month since Inside Man, because Rowena tells Sam that she tried to kill his brother “as recently as last month.”
Unknown 2015 - 10.20 Angel Heart
Day Count: 3
Location: Tulsa OK
Castiel tries to do right by his Angel Heart and look after Claire, when she gets knocked out while investigating her mother’s disappearance. Sam and Dean are called in for back-up. The episode takes place over 3 days in Tulsa, OK, with Sam, Dean, and Cas, arriving the morning of the second day.
- It is Claire’s 18th Birthday on the second day
- Amelia went missing 2 years ago.
Unknown 2015 - 10.21 Dark Dynasty
Day Count: approx. 3
Location: The Bunker (Lebanon KS), Omaha NE
Sam and Dean uncover the Dark Dynasty of the House of Frankenstein when the Styne family comes calling looking for revenge and the book of the damned. Charlie and Rowena work to understand the codex, while Crowley gathers intel on his mother. The episode takes place over approx. 3 days, with Sam and Dean traveling from the Bunker to Omaha, NE and back, while Sam travels numerous times to the abandoned distillery where he is keeping Rowena.
- We know it’s been “days” since Sam gave Rowena the codex
- Dean tells us that Sam has been running off on his own a lot “these past couple of weeks”, which, if taken literally, might mean that it’s been approx. two weeks since Book of the Damned.
- It’s only a 3.5 hour drive between the Bunker and Omaha, which means that after investigating the murder in the morning, Sam and Dean would have been home in time for supper that same day.
- Because Sam (and Dean) can travel between the distillery and the Bunker, and the Bunker and Charlie’s motel, fairly quickly, I think it’s safe to assume that the distillery is somewhere close to the Bunker.
Possibly Late May/Early June, 2015 - 10.22 The Prisoner
Day Count: 3
Location: The Bunker (Lebanon KS), Shreveport LA, Concordia KS.
Dean goes on a revenge killing spree, while Sam tries to fulfill his end of the bargain with Rowena. This episode takes place over 3 days, with Dean traveling an somewhere near the Bunker, to Shreveport, LA, and then back to the Bunker. Sam, meanwhile, travels from the distillery (somewhere near the Bunker) to Concordia KS.
- Shreveport is an 11 hour drive from the Bunker. For some reason, although we only see Sam travel as far as Concordia, KS, which is only an hour away from the Bunker, Cas STILL makes it to the Bunker to confront Dean before Sam does.
- Also, apparently after failing to kill Crowley, Sam just hung out on the floor of that abandoned warehouse all night, because we see him leaving and calling Rowena the next morning.
- We see Cyrus Styne leaving school at the beginning of the episode, which means that school is still in session so it cannot be any later than early June. Given the number of episodes between the episode places in late March/early April and this one, I’m placing this one in late May/early June (assuming 5 weeks between Executioner’s Song and Book of the Damned, and two weeks between Book of the Damned and Dark Dynasty.)
Possibly Late May/Early June, 2015 - 10.23 Brother's Keeper
Day Count: 2
Location: The Bunker (Lebanon KS), Superior NE, Tulsa OK, unknown location
The Winchesters are both their Brother’s Keeper when Sam tries to save Dean and Dean summons Death in an attempt to kill himself, only to be told that he must kill Sam instead. The episode takes place over two days. Sam travels from the Bunker, to the distillery, to Superior, NE, to Tulsa, OK, and finally to an unknown location to meet with Dean. Dean travels from Tulsa, OK, and Superior NE, and back again, and then to an unknown location to summon Death.
- I’ve put the Tulsa, OK, location in the list, because that appears to be where Dean’s motel is. It’s 6 hours away from Superior NE.
- Superior, NE, is only an hour away from the Bunker (and therefore probably also the distillery.)
All information for this timeline taken from hells_half_acre's SPN Timeline