The Winchesters Season 1
- October 2020: it was announced that Jensen and Danneel had formed a new production company called Chaos Machine and signed a multi-year deal with Warner Bros. Television.
- 24 June 2021: It was announced that a Supernatural prequel -- The Winchesters -- was in development from Chaos Machine Productions. The CW has given a script commitment for the project which will center on the early life of John and Mary Winchester. Jensen will executive produce alongside former co-executive producer and writer for Supernatural Robbie Thompson. The series will be narrated by Dean Winchester. Jensen said of the project:
- “After Supernatural wrapped its 15th season, we knew it wasn’t over. Because like we say in the show, ‘nothing ever really ends, does it? When Danneel and I formed Chaos Machine Productions, we knew the first story we wanted to tell was the story of John and Mary Winchester, or rather the Supernatural origin story. I always felt like my character, Dean, would have wanted to know more about his parents’ relationship and how it came to be. So I love the thought of having him take us on this journey.”
On his Instagram post, Jensen said :
- "Can't wait to share... it's the story I've always wanted to know. We will hit the waypoints that have been set and fill in the rest in a way you never expected. "we got work to do."
In response to the news there were congratulations from many including Eric Kripke who said:
- "When @JensenAckles first told me this story, I loved it. He & @DanneelHarris & @rthompson1138 are the perfect people to make it. (The other perfect person is too busy Texas Rangering.) Thanks for carrying the torch, guys, go kick it in the ass. Proud of you. #SPN #SPNFamily."
Jared tweeted disappointment that he had not heard about the project prior to the press release, in an incident fandom dubbed Prequelgate.
- 3 February 2022: The CW had ordered a pilot for the series. The Pilot started filming in April in New Orleans.
After Supernatural wrapped its 15th season, we knew it wasn’t over. Because like we say in the show, ‘nothing ever really ends, does it?' When Danneel and I formed Chaos Machine Productions, we knew the first story we wanted to tell was the story of John and Mary Winchester, or rather the Supernatural origin story. I always felt like my character, Dean, would have wanted to know more about his parents’ relationship and how it came to be. So I love the thought of having him take us on this journey.
As to how The Winchesters will tie-in with Supernatural, Jensen explained:
: That’s kind of the exciting thing, in my opinion, is that the waypoints or the tentpoles that were established on the mothership, as we lovingly call it, those will get touched on. But we’ll get to those waypoints in a way that we probably didn’t expect. And that’s what we’re really having fun with is, like, the story is coming together. It’s not the washed version. It’s not the sugar-coated version of how mom and dad met. This is like what really happened.
- But we do play into the moments that were discussed and that were talked about, just maybe in a slightly varied way that seems like, ‘Whoa, wait, we knew that happened, but I didn’t know that’s why it happened or that’s how it happened.
At Salute to Supernatural New Jersey 2022 a fan expressed concern about the prequel and Jensen said "Look I'm not some guy who hasn't been a part of Supernatural for 15 years. I'm not some random due that's coming in saying "I've got an idea". This story means a lot to me. There's also an entertainment value that's important to me and Robbie and everybody involved. So we want to service what has been established but we want to get creative in the way that we get there."
- May 12, 2022 The CW ordered The Winchesters to series.
- Meg Donnelly and Drake Rodger have been cast to play Mary Campbell and John Winchester. Mary is 19 and described as having "been fighting the forces of darkness since she was a child. After losing someone close to her, the hardened hunter considers quitting the family business — until her father’s disappearance and the arrival of newcomer John Winchester forces her to lead a new team." John has "recently returned from Vietnam, the selfless and clearheaded John Winchester finds a new mission back home, where traces of his father’s past lead him to a secret organization and a whole new war as a hunter."
- The first two series regulars have been cast on the Show. Nida Khurshid will play Latika Desai who is "fiercely intelligent and braver than she believes... a young hunter-in-training whose research and problem-solving skills help her face her fears in battling dark forces. Jojo Fleites will portray Carlos Cervantez an "easygoing and confident, Carlos is a natural when it comes to fighting demons and a boost of positivity for the team as it takes on more serious threats."
- Demetria McKinney has been cast to play Ava who is "a studious and sharp bookstore owner who also takes interest in the mysteries of the occult." Demetria most recently has played Anacostia Quartermain in Motherland: Fort Salem.
- Bianca Kajlich will play John's mother Millie Winchester. Bianca played Sheriff Machado on Legacies.
On May 20, 2022 Meg, Drake, Nida, Jojo and Demetria along with Jensen and Dannel appeared at The CW Upfronts in New York to promote the series and debuted a first look trailer.
- Jensen Ackles on How The Winchesters Will Navigate Supernatural Mythology 'In a Way We Probably Didn't Expect' by TVLine
- ‘Supernatural’ Prequel ‘The Winchesters’ In Works At The CW From Jensen & Danneel Ackles
- Jared Padalecki Seemingly Blindsided By New Supernatural Project With Jensen Ackles In New Tweet by Cinemablend
- Jared Padalecki “Bummed” About ‘Supernatural’ Prequel News But Patches Things Up With Jensen Ackles: “Once Brothers, Always Brothers” by Deadline
- Jensen and Danneel Ackles to EP ‘Supernatural’ prequel: What to expect from ‘The Winchesters’ by Hypable
- Supernatural Spinoff About Young John and Mary Winchester, From EPs Jensen and Danneel Ackles, Eyed at The CW by TVLine