At Comic Con 2013 Executive Producer Robert Singer announced that a spin-off series for Supernatural was being planned. It would begin as an "embedded pilot" with new characters introduced in episode 20 of season 9, and is to be written by Andrew Dabb.
- "It’s an entirely different cast of characters. And unlike Supernatural – which is a road show — this will take place in one place (Chicago) with a wider cast of characters. (It will) explore the clashing monster and human characters living in the city...We’ll have main characters who are both human and monsters. That will include, families of monsters and families of hunters. It’s much more of an ensemble than Supernatural."
The pilot for the series will be 9.20 Bloodlines in Supernatural.
- Ennis Ross: played by Lucien Laviscount. A human, Ennis is billed as the protagonist of Tribes. He is described as “likeable, strong-willed, resolute, with a strong sense of justice.” Ennis, the son of a cop, is preparing to enter the police academy when, like many who become hunters, a loved one is murdered.
- Along the way, he meets Sam and Dean, which is how he “learns the staggering truth” that Chicago is run by five families of monsters and becomes a hunter himself.
- David Lassiter: played by Nathaniel Buzolic. A shapeshifter, David comes from one of Chicago’s five ruling monster families, though he’s taken to a human life. However, tragedy brings him back to his old life. Age: early 20s.
- Margo Lassiter: played by Danielle Savre. A shapeshifter, Margo is David’s sister. She is described as “professional, strong-willed, determined, ambitious” as well as an “ex-punk rocker gone corporate.” She looks to become the new head of the family in the wake of tragedy. Age: early 20s.
- Violet Duval: played by Melissa Roxburgh. A werewolf, Violet is the member of another ruling family. However, as a werewolf, her love affair with shapeshifter David is forbidden. Age: early 20s.
- Julian Duval: played by Sean Faris. A werewolf, Julian is Violet’s brother and Ennis’ arch nemesis. He is described as “savagely handsome, strong, arrogant.” Age: 20s.
- Freddie Costa: played by Stephen Martines. A human, Freddie is an old friend of Ennis’ father with a soft spot for Ennis. He’s described as a world-weary cop with a secret - he's on the payroll of one of the monster families. Age: 30s.
- Tamara: played by Erinn Westbrook.
The pilot for the series filmed for a few days in Chicago in March 2014.
- Report of filming in Chicago by borgmama10f5
- Comment from fan whose Impala was used in Chicago filming
- Report and pics from the filming of Bloodlines in Chicago by nightsky
Spoilers and promos for 9.20 Bloodlines:
- Episode synopsis
- Promo trailer. The song that plays during the trailer is "Jungle" by Jamie N Commons & X Ambassadors.
- Promo photos by ScreenFad
- Sneak peek clip
On 8th May 2014, it was announced that The CW had not picked up Bloodlines as a series. [CW boss Mark Pedowitz said that while the proposed Supernatural spin-off “just didn’t quite get there” creatively, he however still believes that there is “potential in the brand” and was keen to revisit the idea for season 10 with the creative team of Supernatural over summer.
- In October Eric Kripke commented that they were still interested in a possible spin-off.