no edit summary
An angel is a being created by [[God]], able to [[manifest]] physically on earth by occupying a [[vessel]]. During God's long absence, angels became the caretakers and rulers of [[Heaven]] .
==Culture & Hierarchy==
In 2011 the only archangel that remained alive and active was Raphael, as Lucifer supposedly killed Gabriel, and both Lucifer and Michael were restricted to [[Lucifer's Cage]]. Heaven would fallen into major disarray as a civil war, with Castiel and a number of other angels tryied to prevent Raphael from becoming the paramount leader of Heaven and restarting the [[Apocalypse]]. Castiel managed to defeat Raphael by taking in souls from [[Purgatory]]. He slaughters Raphael and his followers, but Castiel cannot contain the power for long, and must return the souls. In his absence, the leadership of Heaven was unknown, though angels still appeared to have a hierarchy.<ref name="seven21">[[7.21 Reading Is Fundamental]]</ref>
Among the hierarchy is [[Naomi]] who holds an unknown rank, but works in intelligence and is clearly very high-ranking. Metatron reveals that she is a major player in fighting over for the right to rule Heaven. After Metatron expelled all angels from Heaven to Earth using a spell, he declared himself to be the sole ruler of Heaven. On Earth, many angel factions formed led by [[Bartholomew]], [[Malachi]], [[Tyrus]] and [[Rebecca]]. Both Bartholomew and Malachi wanted to unite all of the angels and retake Heaven under their leadership and Rebecca and her faction wanted to coexist with humans. Bartholomew killed Rebecca and wiped out her faction while Castiel killed Bartholomew in self-defense. Currently another faction is forming under Castiel's leadership that wants there to be no more unnecessary bloodshed between angels. Castiel's faction comes into conflict with one led by [[Metatron]] and [[Gadreel]] who kill anyone who refuses to join them including Malachi. Metatron eventually manages to unite all the angels under his command and attains God-like power with the help of the [[Tablets|angel tablet]], but with the help of Gadreel, Sam, Dean and Castiel destroy Metatron's power and overthrow him. Metatron is locked in Heaven's dungeon and all the angels look to Castiel for leadership. However, Castiel declines the leadership and a quorum of angels is formed to run Heaven by committee, of which included [[Hannah]] in a high ranking position.<ref name="nine14" /><ref name="nine21">[[9.21 King of the Damned]]</ref><ref name="nine23">[[9.23 Do You Believe in Miracles?]]</ref>
Fallen angels are angels that have been expelled from Heaven on the [[Host of Heaven]]'s command. When regular angels are cut off, they loose certain abilities including, [[healing]], [[resurrection]], and [[
dmiting]].<ref name="five10">[[5.10 Abandon All Hope...]]</ref> However, [[archangels]] function independently from Heaven and do not loose any known abilities.
Having fallen from Heaven due to the actions of [[Metatron]], the angels have all lost their ability to teleport due to the loss of their wings, although they appear to retain their other abilities and weaknesses, such as being held off by angel-banishing sigils or their ability to heal, as well as still requiring vessels.
* Destructive white light - Similar to [[Lilith]]'s ability in depiction, however comes with the blue tinge that represents angelic presence, suggesting this is an extension of the angel's true form. When Castiel used this power, he ordered the humans to "Shut your eyes!" as [[Anna]] did when she regained her true form, destroying [[Alastair]]'s host. The light is powerful enough to kill a diner full of [[Eve]]'s "perfect creations" the [[Jefferson Starships
]] in [[6.19 Mommy Dearest]]. This may have been what the Sheriff witnessed Raphael using on [[demon]]s at a gas station in [[5.03 Free to Be You and Me]]. [[Naomi]] later used this in [[8.19 Taxi Driver]] to try to smite [[Crowley]] forcing him to flee before she could. [[Metatron]] also displayed this in [[8.21 The Great Escapist]] when he rescued [[Kevin Tran]] from Crowley. * Power removal - [[ Castiel|One angel]] has displayed the power to remove psychic abilities from humans, but it is extremely painful and mentally-damaging to the person losing the power.
* [[Dreamwalking]] - Angels can enter human dreams in order to communicate with them. They do not need to know where the person is to use this ability.
* [[Healing]] - Angels have the ability to heal humans. When angels are disconnected from Heaven, they lose this power, as shown during Castiel's defection from Heaven and his inability to cure [[Bobby]] of his paralysis.
** Angels are able to maintain their vessels without food, water, or sleep, and to heal them after they are injured. Lucifer healed Nick's body after he was shot by [[the Colt]]. Castiel has healed his vessel, [[Jimmy Novak]] from his countless fatal injuries. Their vessels also appear resistant to disease. However, when Castiel is on the verge of becoming mortal, [[Pestilence]] is able to infect him.<ref name="five21">[[5.21 Two Minutes to Midnight]]</ref> Possessed vessels will also not age as long as they are possessed by an angel. Also, weakened angels in vessels can become drunk, but it takes an extremely large amount of alcohol. An angel's ability to maintain and heal its vessel can be used to repair fatal damage that even their healing power can't fix.
* Invisibility - Angels, even while occupying vessels, can hide within [[the Veil]] rendering themselves unseen by the human eye.
* Knowledge of all [[prophet]]s - Castiel claims that [[Leah]], the [[Whore of Babylon]], is not a prophet because he has every prophet's name "seared" into his brain, and it is likely that all angels do as well. [[Samandriel]] displays this ability as well.
* Matchmaking - Certain types of angels in the [[cherub]] class, e.g. cupids, can bring couples together by marking their hearts with [[Enochian]] symbols.
* Memory manipulation - Angels have the ability to take away and restore a human's memories. Angels can also implant fake memories. Displayed by Zachariah, Michael, & Castiel.
* [[Reality warping]] - [[Gabriel]]
has shown the ability to create living beings, creatures, objects and imaginary realities out of nothing. He also showed the ability to reshape objects and human bodies, including his own vessel, and he was able to create an exact copy of himself as well.<ref name="two15">[[2.15 Tall Tales]]</ref><ref name="three11" /><ref name="five08">[[5.08 Changing Channels]]</ref><ref name="five19" />
* [[Resurrection]] - Some angels are sufficiently powerful to resurrect humans, even from [[Hell]].
* Revelation - Angels can implant visions into a [[prophet]]’s mind, as demonstrated when Zachariah uses [[Chuck]].<ref name="five01" />
* [[Sedation]] - As displayed by Castiel & Michael, angels have the ability to make humans unconscious by placing two fingers on their foreheads.
* [[Smiting]] - Angels have the ability kill [[demons]] by placing a hand on the forehead of a possessed individual. Extremely powerful demons are immune to the touch of lower-level angels, e.g. [[Alastair]].<ref name="four10" /> This works on monsters and humans alike.<ref name="nine09" /> A special class of angels called the [[Rit Zien]], like [[Ephraim]], can use this to kill mortally
-wounded angels and humans, but when they do, the being it is used on near-instantly explodes in a painless death.<ref name="nine09" /> The collective Host of Heaven can pool their powers together and perform mass-smitings.
* Soul-reading - By reaching into a human's chest, an angel can read marks left on the human's soul by another angel. This procedure is very painful for the human, but leaves little physical damage. Thus far, this ability has only been used by Castiel.
* Soul-channeling - Angels can use the energy from souls to empower themselves. Castiel siphons some energy from Bobby's soul to pull Sam and Dean forward in time.<ref name="six18">[[6.18 Frontierland]]</ref> He absorbs fifty thousand damned souls to declare war on Raphael.<ref name="six20" /> He manages to destroy [[Raphael]] by taking in the souls of [[Purgatory]].<ref name="six22">[[6.22 The Man Who Knew Too Much]]</ref>
Superhuman strength - The physical strength of an angel in a vessel is unknown, it's possible that their strength is unlimited as it doesn't come from the vessels muscles but instead their angelic power. They also have an extreme control on their strength as they have been shown to punch through walls but also non-fatally punch humans. [[Castiel|One]] has been shown to be able to lift a one-ton anvil with ease.
* Supernatural perception - Angels are able to see objects and beings that are invisible to humans, for e.g. [[reaper]]s, [[hellhounds]] and [[Enochian sigils]].
* [[Telekinesis]] - Angels have the ability to move and influence objects with their minds. Other forms of telekinesis include:
** Biokinesis - Zachariah gives Dean stomach cancer and removes Sam's lungs.<ref name="five01" /> He also injures Adam, causing him to cough up blood.<ref name="five18" /> Castiel uses this ability, similar to demon exorcism and the pyrokinetic power used by Michael on Anna, on [[Lenore]] to kill her
in [[6.19 Mommy Dearest]]
** Pyrokinesis - Michael has shown the ability to kill another angel by setting her ablaze.<ref name="five13" /> Gabriel also demonstrated this when he lighted some candles.<ref name="five19">[[5.19 Hammer of the Gods]]</ref> and incinerated the [[Prince of Hell]] [[Asmodeus]].<ref name="thirteen18">[[13.18 Bring 'em Back Alive]]</ref> Castiel ignited and burnt [[Crowley]]'s bones.<ref name="six10">[[6.10 Caged Heat]]</ref>
* Telepathy - Angels have the ability to communicate using their minds.
* [[Teleportation]] - Angels have the ability to teleport anywhere in the world as long as the area is not protected by [[Enochian]] sigils. They can teleport themselves and other beings. Due to angels using their [[Angel Wings|wings]] to teleport, when [[the Fall]] occurred all non-archangels had their wings destroyed preventing then from teleporting. The process of teleportation can be uncomfortable for humans, according to Dean.<ref name="five03" /> Teleportation may involve:
** Creating sudden wind, shattering lights (Castiel), and causing an Eastern Seaboard blackout (Raphael) when manifesting.<ref name="four01" /><ref name="five03" />
** Covert arrival, i.e. when [[Anna Milton]] attacked [[Uriel]], or when Castiel attacked [[Zachariah]]'s henchmen.<ref name="four16" /><ref name="five01">[[5.01 Sympathy for the Devil]]</ref>
* Time travel - Angels have the ability to go backward and forward through time, though this is difficult without [[Heaven]]'s assistance. According to Castiel, "Time is fluid, and on occasion we can bend it."
* Voice mimicry - Angels have the ability to sound like any human they choose.<ref name="four16" /><ref name="four22" /><ref name="five13" />
* Weather manipulation - [[Raphael]], [[Michael]], and [[Lucifer]] all manipulated weather at will.
* [[Angel blade]] - A short blade carried around by angels, can be wielded by humans.
* [[Angel sword]] - A sword that is carried by the [[Grigori]] class of angels. Has the same effect as the angel blade.
* [[Archangel blade]] - A short blade carried by the [[archangel]]s that is capable of killing an archangel,<ref name="five19" /> but only when wielded by another archangel<ref name="thirteen13">[[13.13 Devil's Bargain]]</ref> or a [[vessel]] powered by an archangel.<ref name="thirteen23">[[13.23 Let the Good Times Roll]]</ref>
* [[Cambion]] - [[Jesse]] has the power to transform Castiel into a toy. Castiel says that Jesse could "destroy the Host of Heaven with a word."
* [[The Colt]] - The gun's power against angels is uncertain. It was ineffective against Lucifer, but he stated that only five things could not be killed with this weapon, so it is possible that the Colt may work on angels, but not archangels.
* [[Death's scythe]] - Crowley states that it will kill an angel.<ref name="five21" />
* [[Enochian Sigils]] - They can be used to disguise the location of those bearing the symbols. Castiel carved the symbols into Sam and Dean's and later Adam's ribs. Enochian sigils can also be used to keep angels from entering a building.<ref name="four16" /><ref name="five10">[[5.10 Abandon All Hope...]]</ref>
* Exorcism chant - There is an exorcism chant to expel angels from their human vessels. It seems that the chant is not well known as only one demon, Alastair, has ever used it.<ref name="four10" /><ref name="four16" />
* [[The Fall]] - After the angels fell from Heaven due to Metatron's spell, all angels have become more susceptible to physical damage as well as having lost the ability to teleport.
* Pieces of [[Heaven]] - Any physical piece of Heaven itself can be used to kill an angel as shown when [[Gadreel]] uses a piece of rock from the wall of Heaven's dungeon to commit suicide.
* [[Salt crystal]] - A crystal from the [[smiting]] of Sodom and Gomorrah has the ability to render an angel's vessel into a pillar of salt, forcing the angel to seek a new one.<ref name="six03" />
* [[Staff of Moses]] - The staff has control over the 10 Plagues of Egypt, and appears to be effective even against angels.<ref name="six03" />
* Unsuitable [[vessel]]s - If an angel takes a vessel that cannot hold the angel's power, it will begin to burn out unless they find a more suitable one. In extreme cases the vessel will explode upon possession.
* [[Vessel]] expulsion - If an vessel does not want the angel in them anymore and they are aware of the possession, they can expel the angel possessing them though it seems to cause no harm besides rendering the angel bodiless.
==The Winchesters' Beliefs==
An anarchist angel who led a faction of angels trying to unite all of the angels under his command and retake Heaven, something that [[Castiel]] said would be a very bad thing. Malachi is brutal, even his own henchman [[Theo]] described him as insane and violent, murdering anyone who gets in his way and going to war with [[Bartholomew]]. After Bartholomew is killed by Castiel, he presumably gains ground but is killed by [[Gadreel]] in his efforts to unite all the angels under [[Metatron]]. Reported dead by Castiel in [[9.21 King of the Damned]]
left|thumb|A soldier of [[Raphael]] engages in battle with [[Castiel]].]]
These anonymous angels appear to serve the executive members of the Host like Zachariah and Raphael. They often accompany higher angels when a specific task must be completed. They are primarily silent.