|monster name= Angels
An angel is a being created by [[God]], able to [[manifest]] physically on earth by occupying a [[vessel]]. During God's long absence, angels became the caretakers and rulers of [[Heaven]] .
==Culture & Hierarchy==
In 2011 the only archangel that remained alive and active was Raphael, as Lucifer supposedly killed Gabriel, and both Lucifer and Michael were restricted to [[Lucifer's Cage]]. Heaven would fallen into major disarray as a civil war, with Castiel and a number of other angels tryied to prevent Raphael from becoming the paramount leader of Heaven and restarting the [[Apocalypse]]. Castiel managed to defeat Raphael by taking in souls from [[Purgatory]]. He slaughters Raphael and his followers, but Castiel cannot contain the power for long, and must return the souls. In his absence, the leadership of Heaven was unknown, though angels still appeared to have a hierarchy.<ref name="seven21">[[7.21 Reading Is Fundamental]]</ref>
Among the hierarchy is [[Naomi]] who holds an unknown rank, but works in intelligence and is clearly very high-ranking. Metatron reveals that she is a major player in fighting over for the right to rule Heaven. After Metatron expelled all angels from Heaven to Earth using a spell, he declared himself to be the sole ruler of Heaven. On Earth, many angel factions formed led by [[Bartholomew]], [[Malachi]], [[Tyrus]] and [[Rebecca]]. Both Bartholomew and Malachi wanted to unite all of the angels and retake Heaven under their leadership and Rebecca and her faction wanted to coexist with humans. Bartholomew killed Rebecca and wiped out her faction while Castiel killed Bartholomew in self-defense. Currently another faction is forming under Castiel's leadership that wants there to be no more unnecessary bloodshed between angels. Castiel's faction comes into conflict with one led by [[Metatron]] and [[Gadreel]] who kill anyone who refuses to join them including Malachi. Metatron eventually manages to unite all the angels under his command and attains God-like power with the help of the [[Tablets|angel tablet]], but with the help of Gadreel, Sam, Dean and Castiel destroy Metatron's power and overthrow him. Metatron is locked in Heaven's dungeon and all the angels look to Castiel for leadership. However, Castiel declines the leadership and a quorum of angels is formed to run Heaven by committee, of which included [[Hannah]] in a high ranking position.<ref name="nine14" /><ref name="nine21">[[9.21 King of the Damned]]</ref><ref name="nine23">[[9.23 Do You Believe in Miracles? ]]</ref>
It is later revealed that the existence of angels is what maintains Heaven, and due to the significant loss of angels through the Fall and various wars and battles only nine angels, led by [[
Namoi]] remain in existence to watch over the souls in the Heaven, and that once they are all gone, Heaven will fall releasing billions of souls on to the earth.
The [[ Cosmic Entity]] who is enraged when [[Jack ]] dies and goes to Heaven rather than [[ The Empty]] , threatens to destroy Heaven until Castiel makes a deal to save Jack in exchange for his own life.
Fallen angels are angels that have been expelled from Heaven on the [[Host of Heaven]]'s command. When regular angels are cut off, they loose certain abilities including, [[healing]], [[resurrection]], and [[
dmiting]].<ref name="five10">[[5.10 Abandon All Hope...]]</ref> However, [[archangels]] function independently from Heaven and do not loose any known abilities.
Some angelic powers are innate, and some can be curtailed or enhanced by the hierarchy of [[the Host of Heaven]]. Castiel finds his abilities limited after he rebels and helps Dean: "I'm cut off from Heaven and much of Heaven's power. Certain things I can do. Certain things I can't."<ref name="five02">[[5.02 Good God, Y'All]]</ref>. Castiel appears essentially mortal in the alternate future in [[5.04 The End]], after he reports the angels have abandoned Earth. After he directly acts against Heaven in [[5.18 Point of No Return]], Castiel returns almost mortal. He receives enhanced angelic powers from [[God]] in [[5.22 Swan Song]]. Abilities are also correlated with the rank of the angel. Depending on the rank, angels may not need to be connected to [[Heaven]] to use all of their power as while in [[Purgatory]] after receiving enhanced powers, Castiel displays a power he lost when cut off from Heaven last time, but is left in a weakened state from the experience when he eventually escapes Purgatory. However, he appears to quickly recover from this weakness.
Angels are extremely powerful beings with a wide range of abilities. Abilities vary with the class of the angel. For example, [[archangels]] have all the abilities of a normal angel, but they are enhanced, and they seem to have abilities that average angels do not possess.
* Superhuman strength - The physical strength of an angel in a vessel is unknown, it's possible that their strength is unlimited as it doesn't come from the vessels muscles but instead their angelic power. They also have an extreme control on their strength as they have been shown to punch through walls but also non-fatally punch humans. [[ Castiel|One]] has been shown to be able to lift a one-ton anvil with ease. * [[Telekinesis]] - Angels have the ability to move and influence objects with their minds. * [[ Teleportation]] - Angels have the ability to teleport anywhere in the world as long as the area is not protected by [[Enochian]] sigils. They can teleport themselves and other beings. Angels use their wings to teleport, as teleportation is really an angel flying extremely fast. This is why Castiel cannot teleport when his wings are damaged. Dean refers to teleportation as " beaming", and on some occasions as "zapping". The process can be uncomfortable for humans, according to Dean.<ref name=" five03" /> It may involve: :* Creating sudden wind, shattering lights (Castiel), and causing an Eastern Seaboard blackout (Raphael ) when manifesting.<ref name=" four01" /><ref name=" five03" /> :* Covert arrival, i.e. when [[ Anna Milton]] attacked [[ Uriel]] , or when Castiel attacked [[ Zachariah]] 's henchmen.<ref name=" four16" /><ref name="five01">[[ 5. 01 Sympathy for the Devil]]</ref>* Invisibility - Angels, even while occupying vessels, can render themselves unseen. * [[Healing]] - Angels have the ability to heal humans. When angels are disconnected from Heaven, they lose this power, as shown during Castiel's defection from Heaven . :* For example, [[Michael]] heals Sam, and Castiel heals Dean.<ref name="five13" /><ref name="five22">[[ 5.22 Swan Song]]</ref> [[Metatron]] also heals [[Kevin Tran]]. :* Angels are able to maintain their vessels without food, water, or sleep, and to heal them after they are injured. Lucifer healed Nick's body after he was shot by [[the Colt]]. Castiel has healed his vessel, [[Jimmy Novak]]. Their vessels also appear resistant to disease. However, when Castiel is on the verge of becoming mortal, [[Pestilence]] is able to infect him.<ref name="five21">[[5.21 Two Minutes to Midnight]]</ref> Possessed vessels do not seem to age. Also, weakened angels in vessels can become drunk, but it takes an extremely large amount of alcohol . This was the case with Castiel. An angel's ability to maintain and heal its vessel can be used to repair fatal damage that even their healing power can't fix.
* [[Sedation]] - As displayed by Castiel & Michael, angels have the ability to make humans unconscious by placing two fingers on their foreheads.
* [[Smiting]] - Angels have the ability kill [[demons]] by placing a hand on the forehead of a possessed individual. Extremely powerful demons are immune to the touch of lower-level angels, e.g. [[Alastair]].<ref name="four10" /> This works on monsters
like [[vampires]] too, as displayed by Castiel in [[6.19 Mommy Dearest]]. Humans can also be killed by this power.<ref name="nine09" /> A special class of angels called the Rit Zien, like [[Ephraim]], can use this to kill mortally -wounded angels and humans, but when they do, the being it is used on near-instantly explodes in a painless death.<ref name="nine09" /> The collective Host of Heaven can pool their powers together and perform mass-smitings.
* Supernatural perception - Angels are able to see objects and beings that are invisible to humans, for e.g. [[reaper]]s, [[hellhounds]] and [[Enochian sigils]].
* Telepathy - Angels have the ability to communicate using their minds.
:* [[ Dreamwalking]] - Angels can enter human dreams in order to communicate with them. They do not need to know where the person is to use this ability. * Soul-reading - By reaching into a human's chest, an angel can read marks left on the human's soul by another angel. This procedure is very painful for the human, but leaves little physical damage. Thus far, this ability has only been used by Castiel.* Soul-channeling - Angels can use the energy from souls to empower themselves. Castiel siphons some energy from Bobby's soul to pull Sam and Dean forward in time.<ref name=" six18" >[[6.18 Frontierland]]</ ref> He absorbs fifty thousand damned souls to declare war on Raphael.<ref name=" six20" /> He manages to destroy [[ Raphael]] by taking in the souls of [[ Purgatory]].<ref name=" six22">[[ 6. 22 The Man Who Knew Too Much]]</ref>
* Voice mimicry - Angels have the ability to sound like any human they choose.<ref name="four16" /><ref name="four22" /><ref name="five13" />
* Knowledge of all [[prophet]]s - Castiel claims that [[Leah]], the [[Whore of Babylon]], is not a prophet because he has every prophet's name "seared" into his brain, and it is likely that all angels do as well. [[Samandriel]] displays this ability as well.
* Time travel - Angels have the ability to go backward and forward through time, though this is difficult without [[Heaven]]'s assistance. According to Castiel, "Time is fluid, and on occasion we can bend it."
<font size=3>'''Special Abilities:'''</font>
* Memory manipulation - Angels have the ability to take away and restore a human's memories. Angels can also implant fake memories. Displayed by Zachariah, Michael, & Castiel.
* Revelation - Angels can implant visions into a [[prophet]]’s mind, as demonstrated when Zachariah uses [[Chuck]].<ref name="five01" />
* [[Resurrection]] - Some angels are sufficiently powerful to resurrect humans, even from Hell.
:* Gabriel resurrects Dean <ref name="three11">[[3.11 Mystery Spot]]</ref> and so does Castiel when Dean is returned from Hell.<ref name="four01" />
:* [[Joshua]] resurrects Sam and Dean;<ref name="five16" /> Zachariah resurrects [[Adam]].<ref name="five18">[[5.18 Point of No Return]]</ref>
:* Castiel resurrects Bobby<ref name="five22" />
:*[[Gadreel]] resurrects Castiel<ref name="nine03" /> and [[Charlie Bradbury]]<ref name="nine04" />
:*[[Metatron]] resurrects a young woman hit by a car<ref name="nine23" />
:*[[Lucifer]] resurrects Sam<ref name="thirteen21">[[13.21 Beat the Devil]]</ref>
:*[[Castiel]] resurrects [[Jack Kline]] long enough for the condition that killed him to be cured using Enochian magic, making the resurrection permanent.<ref name="fourteen08">[[14.08 Byzantium]]</ref>
* Other Forms of [[Telekinesis]]
:* Biokinesis - Zachariah gives Dean stomach cancer and removes Sam's lungs.<ref name="five01" /> He also injures Adam, causing him to cough up blood.<ref name="five18" /> Castiel uses this ability, similar to demon exorcism and the pyrokinetic power used by Michael on Anna, on [[Lenore]] to kill her in [[6.19 Mommy Dearest]]
:* Pyrokinesis - Michael has shown the ability to kill another angel by setting her ablaze.<ref name="five13" /> Gabriel also demonstrated this when he lighted some candles.<ref name="five19">[[5.19 Hammer of the Gods]]</ref> and incinerated the [[Prince of Hell]] [[Asmodeus]].<ref name="thirteen18">[[13.18 Bring 'em Back Alive]]</ref> Castiel ignited and burnt [[Crowley]]'s bones.<ref name="six10">[[6.10 Caged Heat]]</ref>
:* Electrokinesis - Raphael can manipulate and control electricity. When Raphael first appeared before Dean and Castiel, electricity arcs away from him while he was manifesting in his vessel for the second time.<ref name="five03">[[5.03 Free to Be You and Me]]</ref>
:* Cryokinesis - Lucifer proved capable of freezing objects by breathing on them; this occurred while he was manifesting in his vessel.<ref name="five22" />
* Weather manipulation - [[Raphael]], [[Michael]], and [[Lucifer]] all manipulated weather at will.
* [[Reality warping]] - [[Gabriel]] has shown the ability to create living beings, creatures, objects and imaginary realities out of nothing. He also showed the ability to reshape objects and human bodies, including his own vessel, and he was able to create an exact copy of himself as well.<ref name="two15">[[2.15 Tall Tales]]</ref><ref name="three11" /><ref name="five08">[[5.08 Changing Channels]]</ref><ref name="five19" />
* Matchmaking - Certain types of angels in the [[Cherub]] class, e.g. Cupids, can bring couples together by marking their hearts with [[Enochian]] symbols.
* Destructive white light - Similar to [[Lilith]]'s ability in depiction, however comes with the blue tinge that represents angelic presence, suggesting this is an extension of the angel's true form. When Castiel used this power, he ordered the humans to "Shut your eyes!" as [[Anna]] did when she regained her true form, destroying [[Alastair]]'s host. The light is powerful enough to kill a diner full of [[Eve]]'s "perfect creations" the [[Jefferson Starships]] in [[6.19 Mommy Dearest]]. This may have been what the Sheriff witnessed Raphael using on [[demon]]s at a gas station in [[5.03 Free to Be You and Me]]. [[Naomi]] later used this in [[8.19 Taxi Driver]] to try to smite [[Crowley]] forcing him to flee before she could. [[Metatron]] also displayed this in [[8.21 The Great Escapist]] when he rescued [[Kevin Tran]] from Crowley.
* Power removal - [[Castiel|One angel]] has displayed the power to remove psychic abilities from humans, but it is extremely painful and mentally-damaging to the person losing the power.
Having fallen from Heaven due to the actions of [[Metatron]], the angels have all lost their ability to teleport due to the loss of their wings, although they appear to retain their other abilities and weaknesses, such as being held off by angel-banishing sigils or their ability to heal, as well as still requiring vessels.
Holy oil]] - This can be used to trap an angel. Castiel uses a Molotov cocktail of holy oil to temporarily banish Michael at [[Stull Cemetery]]. <ref name="five22" />
* [[Angel banishing sigil]] drawn in human blood. When a hand is placed on the sigil, angels are temporarily banished from the area. It can be used by humans and angels, and the angel who uses it does not disappear with the others. Castiel uses an extreme form of this when he carves the sigil into his vessel's chest; on this occasion, he vanished with the other angels, and returned near mortal.<ref name="five18" /> It is powerful enough to banish an [[archangel]] as strong as [[Lucifer]] as well as regular angels.<ref name="eleven14">[[11.14 The Vessel]]</ref>
* Exorcism chant - There is an exorcism chant to expel angels from their human vessels. It seems that the chant is not well known as only one demon, Alastair, has ever used it.<ref name="four10" /><ref name="four16" />
* [[Staff of Moses]]<ref name="six03" />
* [[Salt crystal]]<ref name="six03" />
* [[Angel blade]] - A short blade carried around by angels, can be wielded by humans.
* [[Angel sword]] - A sword that is carried by the [[Grigori]] class of angels. Has the same effect as the angel blade.
* [[Archangel blade]] - A short blade carried by the [[archangel]]s that is capable of killing an archangel,<ref name="five19" /> but only when wielded by another archangel<ref name="thirteen13">[[13.13 Devil's Bargain]]</ref> or a [[vessel]] powered by an archangel.<ref name="thirteen23">[[13.23 Let the Good Times Roll]]</ref>
Enochian Sigils]] - They can be used to disguise the location of those bearing the symbols. Castiel carved the symbols into Sam and Dean's and later Adam's ribs. Enochian sigils can also be used to keep angels from entering a building. <ref name="four16" /><ref name="five10" >[[ 5. 10 Abandon All Hope. ..]]</ref>
* [[Death's scythe]] - Crowley states that it will kill an angel.<ref name="five21" />
Cambion]] - [[ Jesse]] has the power to transform Castiel into a toy. Castiel says that Jesse could " destroy the Host of Heaven." * [[ The Colt]] 's power against angels is uncertain. It was ineffective against Lucifer, but he stated that only five things could not be killed with this weapon, so it is possible that the Colt may work on angels, but not archangels. * [[Archangel]]s can easily overpower angels, often killing or banishing them by snapping their fingers.<ref name=" five08" /><ref name=" five13" /><ref name="five22" />* Certain beings, such as [[ Eve]] , can inhibit an angel from using his or her powers. It is not known if this applies to higher tier angels , such as the archangels. Eve existed before angels, and suggests that she has knowledge that angels lack. * [[ Leviathan]] s can kill angels.<ref name=" seven01" />* [[Naomi]]'s torture spike - Naomi's torture spike can be used to torture and possibly bend an angel to another angel's will. It has also been shown to be capable of killing angels, possibly as it's an implement of Heaven.* Angel Fall - After the angels fell from Heaven due to Metatron's spell, all angels have become more susceptible to physical damage.
* Unsuitable [[vessel]]s - If an angel takes a vessel that cannot hold the angel's power, it will begin to burn out unless they find a more suitable one. In extreme cases the vessel will explode upon possession.
Expulsion - If an vessel does not want the angel in them anymore and they are aware of the possession, they can expel the angel possessing them though it seems to cause no harm besides rendering the angel bodiless . * Pieces of [[Heaven]] - Any physical piece of Heaven itself can be used to kill an angel as shown when [[Gadreel]] uses a piece of rock from the wall of Heaven's dungeon to commit suicide.
==The Winchesters' Beliefs==
An anarchist angel who led a faction of angels trying to unite all of the angels under his command and retake Heaven, something that [[Castiel]] said would be a very bad thing. Malachi is brutal, even his own henchman [[Theo]] described him as insane and violent, murdering anyone who gets in his way and going to war with [[Bartholomew]]. After Bartholomew is killed by Castiel, he presumably gains ground but is killed by [[Gadreel]] in his efforts to unite all the angels under [[Metatron]]. Reported dead by Castiel in [[9.21 King of the Damned]]
left|thumb|A soldier of [[Raphael]] engages in battle with [[Castiel]].]]
These anonymous angels appear to serve the executive members of the Host like Zachariah and Raphael. They often accompany higher angels when a specific task must be completed. They are primarily silent.