Prequelgate is the fandom name for a Twitter clash that occurred between Jared and Jensen the day that The Winchesters was announced. Tinhats in particular also refer to it as the "Jivorce" - a mashup of J2 and Divorce.
On 24 June 2021, Deadline broke the news that a prequel to Supernatural called The Winchesters was in the works for The CW, with Robbie Thompson as co-producer and writer. The series would focus on John and Mary's life in the early 70s, with Jensen to narrate as Dean.
Soon after, Jared tweeted with:
- "Dude. Happy for you. Wish I heard about this some way other than Twitter. I’m excited to watch, but bummed that Sam Winchester had no involvement whatsoever."
Many initially assumed he was joking, but Jared responded to a query with:
- "No. It’s not. This is the first I’ve heard about it. I’m gutted."
He also tweeted an accusatory tweet to Robbie Thompson (now deleted). The response was picked up by a number of media outlets. Fandom was embroiled in high emotion and speculation for the next day. The following day Jared posted:
- "Hey world. Thank you for the love. Please PLEASE don’t send any hate or threats. I care deeply about everybody involved and would be in true misery if any of them were harmed or threatened."
This was followed a couple of hours later by this tweet:
- "@JensenAckles and I had a great talk, as we do often, and things are good. The show is early in the process with miles to go. We’ve travelled a lot of roads together, and sometimes those damn roads have bumps. Bumps don’t stop us. Once brothers, always brothers."
Jensen quoted his tweet and added:
- "Love you @jarpad … Miss these talks. I forgot how much face time we always used to get. And I miss that too. I know you’re busy… as am I, but you’re still my brother. I miss you, pal."
Kripke also posted (but then deleted) a tweet saying about his original tweet "Guys. When I wrote this I assumed Jared knew. I was wrong. I already apologised to him and @jarpad and @jensenackles and worked it out. I love them both like brothers, both equally contributed to #SPN. Families have bumps, they overcome them, that's why they're family. #SPNFamily."
During his appearance on Michael Rosenbaum's podcast "Inside of You" in January 2022, Jensen explained that he was very suspicious about talking about projects before they were a reality, so had not talked to Jared about the show. The news of the script commitment for the pilot had leaked to Deadline, which happened while he was filmingThe Boys, and it was a while before he had a chance to check his phone and find a long text from Jared about his reaction. ASked about jared's tweet he said "Jensen said: "That could have been a step that was avoided but he did it and it happened. I wish he had just called me and said, 'Yo dude, why didn't you tell me you were doing this?'" Jensen said Jared's feelings were "totally valid" and admitted that "should have at least clued (Jared) in before the world found out".
- Supernatural prequel The Winchesters already caused a rift between the show's stars by cnet
- Jared Padalecki’s bromance with Jensen Ackles is intact after ‘Supernatural’ drama by LATimes
- Jensen Ackles opens up about fallout with Jared Padalecki over the Supernatural prequel by Popbuzz
- Jared Padalecki Seemingly Blindsided By New Supernatural Project With Jensen Ackles In New Tweet by Cinemablend
- Jared Padalecki “Bummed” About ‘Supernatural’ Prequel News But Patches Things Up With Jensen Ackles: “Once Brothers, Always Brothers” by Deadline