I Did What I Had to Do
"I did what I had to do" is an oft-repeated phrase during season nine, used by characters as a way to justify their dubious actions.
- Castiel: You're... noticing this now? You were more than willing to do his dirty work.
- Theo: I did what I had to.
- Castiel: When you were sure he would defeat Bartholomew.
Later Castiel tells Dean how he was tortured and escaped his captors.
- Castiel: He had me. I, uh, I was tortured. But I got away.
- Dean: How?
- Castiel: I... I did what I had to. I became what they've become. A barbarian.
- Dean: I tricked you into saying yes. It seemed like the only way.
- Sam: So... Again. You thought I couldn't handle something, so you took over!
- Dean: No, I did what I had to do! You would've never agreed to it, and you would've died.
Gadreel justifies his reasoning to Dean for his betrayal and murder of Kevin.
- Gadreel: Alter a sigil... even the slightest... Alter the spell. Sorry about Kevin, but ultimately... it's for the best. I did what I had to.
- Castiel: Who are you to lecture me on lying? Your deception led to the Fall.
- Metatron: I did what I had to do. I have always done what I have to do, for God and for the angels.
- Michelle: Hey, what happened back there? Talk to me.
- Corbin: I saved us. Look, you're hurt bad and... and I love you, Michelle. I can't lose you. I did what I had to do.
- Chuck: I did what I had to do! To create the world, I had to lock Amara away. And when the Mark corrupted you, and I saw you posed a threat to humankind, I did the same with you.
- Rowena: When you nincompoops ran, I did what I had to do. But I can still cast the spell. We can still complete our deal.