The Primetime Emmy Awards are presented by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences in recognition of excellence in American primetime television. Previously referred to as the "Emmy Awards", the word "primetime" has been added to distinguish them from the Daytime Emmy Awards.
The awards cermony, which is held in September before the start of the fall television season when new seasons of major series premiere, are aired by a different major network each year.
A show or actor must lodge an entry to be considered for nomination. Nominations are announced in July.
In 2006, Supernatural received two nominations:
- Outstanding Music Composition For A Series (original Dramatic Score) Supernatural - WB -: Christopher Lennertz, Composer (for the 1.01 Pilot)
- Outstanding Sound Editing For A Series
- Supernatural - WB - Timothy Cleveland, Sound Effects Editor; Jessica Dickson, Dialog Editor; Paul Diller, Sound Effects Editor; David Lee Fein, Foley Artist; Karyn Foster, Dialog/ADR Editor; Michael Lawshe, Supervising Sound Editor; David Lynch, Sound Effects Editor; Chris McGeary, Music Editor; Marc Meyer, Sound Effects Editor; Jody Thomas, Foley Artist (for the 1.01 Pilot)
In 2007, Jensen's performance in 2.22 All Hell Breaks Loose: Part Two was submitted for consideration, but he did not receive a nomination.
In 2008, Supernatural was nominated for Outstanding Sound Editing for a Series for 3.12 Jus in Bello.
- Michael E. Lawshe, Supervising Sound Editor, Norval ‘Charlie’ Crutcher III, Supervising ADR Editor; Karyn Foster, Dialogue Editor; Marc Meyer, Supervising Sound Effects Editor; Timothy Cleveland, Sound Effects Editor; Paul Diller, Sound Effects Editor; Albert Gomez, Sound Effects Editor; Casey Crabtree, Foley Artist; Michael Crabtree, Foley Artist; Dino Moriana, Music Editor
In 2009, Supernatural has been submitted in the Best Drama Series, and Jared and Jensen both in the Lead Actor category. No nominations were received. Fans were also disappointed when Kim Manners was not mentioned in the official obituaries list on the night.
In 2010, the CW launched it's first promotion of shows for the Emmy Awards. It wasn't a full campaign but did include an insert in the Emmy magazine with the slogan "OMFG: FYC". OMFG had been used to promote the first season of Gossip Girl in 2008. A rejected campaign idea included the slogan "Beautiful people deserve Emmy's too". The CW Emmy Campaign. The Season 5 episodes 5.04 The End and 5.08 Changing Channels were submitted for consideration.
In 2012, the following were submitted for consideration, however none achieved an Emmy nomination:
- Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series - Jim Beaver for 7.10 Death's Door
- Outstanding Cinematography For A Single-Camera Series - Serge Ladouceur for 7.12 Time After Time
- Outstanding Sound Editing For A Series - 7.14 Plucky Pennywhistle's Magical Menagerie
- Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Drama Series:
- Nicole L Baer for 7.10 Death's Door
- Anthony Pinker for 7.20 The Girl with the Dungeons and Dragons Tattoo
In 2018, 13.16 Scoobynatural was submitted for consideration but was not nominated.
Other Emmy connections
Jensen Ackles was nominated three times for a Daytime Emmy for Outstanding Younger Actor in a Drama Series for his performance as Eric Brady in "Days of Our Lives".