Diegetic music is music that which comes from a source inside the story such as a radio or a band playing, as opposed to music on the soundtrack which is not "heard" by the characters in the story.
The following are examples of diegetic music and songs in Supernatural.
- 1 Episodes
- 1.1 1.01 Pilot
- 1.2 2.21 All Hell Breaks Loose: Part One
- 1.3 1.22 Devil's Trap
- 1.4 3.11 Mystery Spot
- 1.5 3.16 No Rest for the Wicked
- 1.6 4.06 Yellow Fever
- 1.7 5.03 Free to Be You and Me
- 1.8 5.22 Swan Song
- 1.9 7.02 Hello, Cruel World
- 1.10 7.06 Slash Fiction
- 1.11 8.04 Bitten
- 1.12 8.17 Goodbye Stranger
- 1.13 7.20 The Girl with the Dungeons and Dragons Tattoo and 8.20 Pac-Man Fever
- 1.14 10.05 Fan Fiction
- 1.15 10.17 Inside Man
- 1.16 11.04 Baby
- 1.17 11.20 Don't Call Me Shurley
- 1.18 12.03 The Foundry
- 1.19 13.21 Beat the Devil
- 1.20 14.07 Unhuman Nature
- 1.21 15.20 Carry On
"Back in Black" by AC/DC
"Foreplay/Long Time" by Boston
- The "Long Time" portion of the song is playing in the Impala.
"Bad Moon Rising" by Creedence Clearwater Revival
- The song is playing in the Impala when they are hit by the truck.
"Heat of the Moment" by Asia
- Wakes Sam up each Tuesday until the final day when he wakes up to "Back in Time" by Huey Lewis and the News on a Wednesday.
"Wanted Dead or Alive" by Bon Jovi
- Dean and Sam sing along in the car before Dean's deal comes due.
"Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor
- The song that Dean air drums to while waiting in the car.
"Simple Man" by Lynyrd Skynyrd
- The song plays over the Sam and Dean montage in the beginning, and eventually is playing in the Impala.
"Rock of Ages" by Def Leppard
- The song plays from "Kick it in the ass!" mix tape in the Impala when Dean enters Stull Cemetery.
"Black Water" by The Doobie Brothers plays over the montage as the leviathan spread through the water. It ends when Edgar turns off his radio.
Dean silently sings along to "All Out of Love" by Air Supply.
There was also no original score throughout the episode, only diegetic pieces of indie pop music.
"Goodbye Stranger" by Supertramp :The song starts playing in the Impala and continues over the closing montage.
"Walking on Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves
- The song plays in the first episode on Charlie's phone thru her headphones as she arrives at work and in the second case on her phone during her fashion montage.
All the songs from Supernatural: The Musical!.
"The Gambler" by Kenny Rogers
All music was diegetic: Either coming from an outside source or the Impala's cassette deck.
"Don't Answer the Door" by B.B. King
"Gimme Shelter" by The Rolling Stones
"Good Vibrations" by Brian Wilson
- All play in Chuck's bar. Chuck aka Rob Benedict sings "Fare Thee Well (Dink's Song)" in the bar as well.
"Born to Be Wild" by Steppenwolf
"Cat's in the Cradle" by Harry Chapin
- Playing in the bar as Lucifer drinks his sorrows away.
"Let It Ride" by Bachman-Turner Overdrive
"Carry On Wayward Son" by Kansas
- The song plays in the Impala as Dean drives through Heaven. Dean comments on how much he loves the song.