|Powers and Abilities|| |
|Appearance||Has large, sharp teeth and can unhinge its jaw. Can appear human.|
|Episode(s)||3.14 Long-Distance Call|
Some kind of scavenger. Mimics loved ones, whispers 'Come to me,' then lures you into the dark and swallows your soul.
The true appearance of the crocotta is unknown. It can appear human but when it feeds, it unhinges its jaw and its large, sharp teeth are visible. It is commonly described in legend as luring people by calling their name, drawing them deeper into the forest until it can devour them. In the modern age, the crocotta has evolved to contact people by phone or computer.
Crocottas prefer to live in filth, and will repeatedly lure their victims with the phrase "Come to me."
Powers and abilities
- Extended lifespan – Crocottas are able to live for centuries.
- Shapeshifting – Crocottas can take on human form.
- Soul consumption – Crocottas consume the soul of the person they've killed or are going to kill by sucking it from their mouths.
- Super strength – Crocottas can easily overpower a human.
- Technokinesis – Crocottas can manipulate technology, allowing them to control computer screens as well as make calls to any phones.
- Voice mimicry – Can mimic the voice of any person after hearing it.
- Neck – Stabbing a crocotta in the back of the neck is the only way to kill one.
Sam and Dean encounter Clark Adams while investigating deaths related to unusual phone calls, where the callers claim to be spirits. One call is even from John Winchester to Dean. Clark is a phone company supervisor, and he takes them to tech Stewie Myers who helps them with a number. Research later shows that the calls are coming from a crocotta, and Sam suspects Stewie. He goes to the phone company basement and confronts Stewie, but is hit over the head by Clark. Clark, who is the crocotta, ties up Sam and Stewie, then kills the tech and eats his spirit. He makes another phone call to set a grieving father on Dean. He tries to kill Sam, but Sam gets loose and pushes him into a piece of metal protruding from a wall, killing Clark.
Crocottas in Lore
The crocotta is a mythical beast of India and Ethiopia. Pliny, the Roman naturalist, described it as being "an animal which looks as though it had been produced by the coupling of the wolf and the dog, for it can break anything with its teeth, and instantly on swallowing it digest it with the stomach. . . " It is said to be a deadly enemy of men and dogs, and it simulates human speech so that it can call men by their names and draw them outside, where it will tear them to pieces. It also imitates a person being sick, to attract dogs so that it can attack them.