5.01 Sympathy for the Devil
|Title||Sympathy for the Devil|
|Episode #||Season 5, Episode 1|
|First aired||September 10, 2009|
|Directed by||Robert Singer|
|Written by||Eric Kripke|
|On IMDB||Sympathy for the Devil|
|Outline||Lucifer is free and both angels and demons are after Sam and Dean.|
|Timeline||Immediately after 4.22 Lucifer Rising|
|Location(s)|| Ilchester, Maryland|
Pike Creek, Delaware
Kripke's Hollow, Ohio
Buffalo, New York
|« Previous Episode | Next Episode »|
Sam and Dean are trapped in the vestibule as Lucifer breaks free of his confinement, following Sam killing Lilith and breaking the last of the 66 Seals. Just as a blinding light and sound force them to their knees, they are transported into an airplane flying over Ilchester, Maryland, where Lucifer was confined. Landing safely, although unsure how they were saved, they travel to Kripke's Hollow and the devastated remains of Chuck's house. He explains, that the archangel had blown Castiel apart. Zachariah arrives, and tells Dean he is needed to battle Lucifer, who is seeking a vessel to possess. Dean is angry and not willing to help the angels. He has already partly drawn an angel banishing sigil on a sliding door with his own blood. He pulls out the sliding door to reveal the sigil, then slaps his bloody palm onto it and Zachariah and his angels disappear.
At a motel room, Sam arrives with some hex bags to hide them from the angels, which Sam reluctantly admits Ruby taught him how to make. Sam says he isn't feeling any after effects from the demon blood. He tries to talk to Dean about what has happened, about freeing Lucifer, but Dean refuses to engage with him. Dean suggests they treat it as any hunt, and they set about finding Lucifer. Becky Rosen, obviously a fan of the Supernatural books written by Chuck Shurley, judging by the posters in her room, is writing some Wincest fanfiction, when Chuck instant messages her and asks her to pass a message to Dean and Sam. She does so, however the message—that the "angels have lost Michael's Sword" and that it is to be found "in a castle, on a hill made of 42 dogs," doesn't appear to make sense.
A brief scene of a man, Nick, who seems to be having nightmares or hallucination. After hallucinating that his bed is full of blood, he finds his dead wife lying beside him in bed, whispering to him, "You're special."
Bobby arrives in the Impala, with research about the archangel Michael. Sam confesses to Bobby that it was his actions that freed Lucifer, and Bobby coldly tells him that once the hunt is over, he wants nothing to do with Sam. Sam leaves to do some research. While researching further, Dean gets an idea, and going through some of John's old things. He finds the address for John's storage facility: Castle Storage, 42 Rover Hill. It fits the message from Chuck.
Just then, a woman arrives with two henchman. It is Meg, the demon that once worked with Azazel and possessed Sam during the events of 2.14 Born Under a Bad Sign. Bobby attacks and restrains Dean—he too is possessed. Meg says the demons want Dean dead so he can't stop Lucifer. She orders the possessed Bobby to kill Dean with the Demon-Killing Knife, but just as he is about to strike, Bobby manages to battle the demon and stab himself instead. Sam returns and helps dispatch the other two demons, but Meg escapes by leaving her vessel. Sam and Dean drop off a gravely injured Bobby at the hospital and race to John's lock-up. Once there, they find some dead demons, and Zachariah with some angel muscle.
Zachariah reveals they misled Chuck; Michael's sword is at the storage lock-up because it's Dean. Zachariah explains that Dean is to be the vessel for the archangel Michael, so he can defeat Lucifer. He admits, however, that they need Dean's consent for this. When Dean refuses, Zachariah breaks one of Sam's legs. He then says that Bobby will never walk again unless Dean agrees. Dean still refuses. He then strikes Dean with stomach cancer and as he coughs up blood, Zachariah stops Sam from breathing by taking away his lungs. Just then, Castiel appears. He attacks the angels with his angel blade and orders Zachariah to make Sam and Dean whole again, and then to leave.
Castiel is elusive about how he has been brought back from death, but before he leaves, he touches Sam and Dean, burning an Enochian sigil into their ribs, that will hide them from the angels, demons and Lucifer. Nick wanders through his house, distraught. His wife and child have been murdered during a home invasion. As he grieves, he starts hallucinating again. Lucifer appears as his wife Sarah and tells him that he is a vessel, and that Lucifer wants his consent to possess him. Lucifer says he is misunderstood, that he was punished for "loving God too much." He says that, to let Nick's family be murdered, God must either be uncaring, or a sadist. He tells Nick possession will be painful, but that Lucifer will help him get justice for his family. Nick consents to possession.
At the hospital, Bobby yells at a doctor who tells him he won't walk again. He says they need to keep fighting, but is pessimistic about their chances. Dean makes a stirring speech, saying they should take them all on—angels and demons—and try to win. Before they leave, Bobby tells Sam that what he said before was coming from the demon possessing him, saying he'd never turn his back on Sam. As they walk to the car, Dean admits the speech he gave was for Bobby's benefit. Sam again tries to get Dean to talk about what happened. Dean admits that he feels deeply hurt and let down by Sam, and even though he knows Sam is sorry, he doesn't know if he can trust him again.
- Sam Winchester
- Dean Winchester
- Bobby Singer
- Chuck Shurley
- Becky Rosen
- Acting in Unison
- Angel Banishing Sigil
- Angel Lore
- Angel Blade
- Bobby's Hats
- Castle Storage
- Dean's Amulet
- Dean's Bracelet
- Demon Blood
- Demon-Killing Knife
- Demon Smoke
- Devil's Trap
- Hex Bag
- The Host of Heaven
- John's Journal
- John's Lock-up
- Sam Girls
- Sam's Bracelet
- The Simpsons
- Son of a Bitch
- Star Wars
- Super Fans
- The Supernatural Books
- Title Card
- Warding Sigils
- "Thunderstruck" by AC/DC
- (plays during "The Road So Far" recap of events)
Chuck: He's dead. Or gone. The archangel smote the crap out of him. I'm sorry.
Dean: You're sure? I mean, maybe he just vanished into the light or something.
Dean: You listen to me, you two-faced douche -- after what you did, I don't want jack squat from you!
Zachariah: You listen to me, boy! You think you can rebel against us? As Lucifer did? [stares at Dean's hand] You're bleeding.
Dean: Oh yeah. A little insurance policy in case you dicks showed up. [reveals hidden Angel Banishing Sigil & activates it]
Dean: Learned that from my friend Cas, you son of a bitch.
Chuck: Becky, it's all real.
Dean: We don't have anything.
Dean: What do you mean, I'm the sword?
Zachariah: You're Michael's weapon. Or, rather, his... receptacle.
Dean: I'm a vessel?
Zachariah: You're the vessel. Michael's vessel.
Dean: How? Why—why me?
Zachariah: Because you're chosen! It's a great honor, Dean.
Dean: Yeah, I'm starting to get that. Your frat brothers are bigger dicks than I thought.
Dean: What if we win? I'm serious. I mean, screw the angels and the demons and their crap apocalypse. Hell, they want to fight a war, they can find their own planet. This one's ours, and I say they get the hell off it. We take 'em all on. We kill the devil. Hell, we even kill Michael if we have to. But we do it our own damn selves.
Bobby: And how're we suppose to do all this, genius?
Trivia & References
- Martin O'Malley was then governor of Maryland, where the events at the end of 4.22 Lucifer Rising and the beginning of this episode take place.
- Soul Plane is a 2004 comedy that takes place on a plane.
- A reference to Anakin Skywalker's final descent to Darth Vader in Star Wars.
- A reference to the movie Apocalypse Now.
- This is a line from Homer Simpson in The Simpsons that appeared in the episode "The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show."
Sam: I-It's weird. Uh, tell you the truth, I'm fine. No shakes, no fever. It's like whoever... put me on that plane cleaned me right up.
Dean: Supernatural methadone.
- Methadone is a medication used to treat heroin addiction. Shakes and fever are common symptoms of heroin withdrawal.
- Marzipan is a confection made of sugar, honey and almond meal.
Dean: Yeah right, Wavy Gravy.
- This might be a reference to Wavy Gravy, an American activist for peace.
- Reference to the doomed lover in William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.
- Apparition of Archangel Michael by Nicola Russo.
- St. Michael by Raphael.
- The Archangel Michael Defeating Satan by Guido Reni.
Dean: You kidding me? Tough? That guy looks like Cate Blanchett.
- Cate Blanchett is a Australian actress.
- Reference to the Paul Simon song "The Boy in the Bubble."
- A G.E.D. is an educational credential that can be undertaken by those who do not have a high school diploma.
- A street sign with the words "WINCHESTER BLVD".
- A framed poster of the cover of the Supernatural book, Route 666.
- A poster of the cover of the Supernatural book, The Benders.
- Posters of hand-drawn occult symbols.
- A Castiel plush.
Sides, Scripts & Transcripts
- "Up to Speed" Official Season 4 Recap
- Promo Pics
- Casting News for Lucifer by Ausiello
- Comic-Con: Supernatural' Panelists Talk Lucifer, the Apocalypse, and Returning Characters by zap2it (spoilers)
- 5.01 Sympathy For The Devil: What I Need Is You by bardicvoice (September 2009); archive link, spn-heavymeta
- Bond, Silvia. 2009. Let the Bodies Hit the Floor: "Sympathy for the Devil" Season 5, Episode 1. Pink Raygun, September 15; archive link, spn-heavymeta
- Chan, Suzette. 2009. Supernatural Talk: Tarts talk about Supernatural 5.01, Sympathy for the Devil. Sequential Tart, October 19; archive link
- SPN Meta: 5.01 Visual Framing Meta by caffienekitty (September 2009); archive link, spnematography
- Supernatural: Sympathy for the Devil by sarka (September 2009); archive link, spnematography