12.16 Ladies Drink Free
|Title||Ladies Drink Free|
|Episode #||Season 12, Episode 16|
|First aired||March 30, 2017|
|Directed by||Amyn Kaderali|
|Written by||Meredith Glynn|
|On IMDB||Ladies Drink Free|
|Outline||The Winchesters take Mick Davies along on a werewolf hunt and find Claire Novak working the same case alone. When Claire is attacked by the werewolf, Sam and Dean race to save her life.|
|Location(s)|| Lawrence, Kansas|
|« Previous Episode | Next Episode »|
Somewhere in Wisconsin, a young woman, Hayden Foster, is tricked by her brother Ben into leaving the bar she is at. On the way home they are attacked by a masked figure; Ben is killed and his heart ripped out, and Hayden is injured.
At the British Men of Letters headquarters, Sam and Dean are waiting in the large conference room. Mick Davies enters, apologizing for running late. He tells them about the attack in Wisconsin which he thinks is a werewolf attack. The boys agree to take the case and to their surprise Mick insists on tagging along. After staying the night in a fancy hotel paid for by the British Men of Letters, the three of them go to the hospital where Hayden is recovering. Mick pretends to be a doctor and checks Hayden’s wounds and finds what is clearly a bite on the inside of Hayden’s arm. He tells Sam and Dean, who have been talking to Hayden’s mother, that she had not been bitten. They boys discuss whether the wildlife officer that the mother told them had also questioned her is Claire Novak.
Dean calls Claire and she meets the boys at the Wild Boar Lodge. Claire explains that Hayden’s story is one big lie and tells them how she tracked Hayden to a local dive bar where the bartender, sporting tribal tats, was grabby, but gave her information. Dean picks up on the grabby comment, obviously in protective mode. Claire assures him she’s a big girl and handled things. Mick heads off to bed early, telling Sam and Dean he has to file reports.
Back at the hospital, the mom kisses a sleeping Hayden and heads out to get more coffee. Mick lets himself into the room. He’s checking the IV when the full moon breaks through the clouds and Hayden begins to change. With a growl, she launches herself at him. Mick fights her off and is able to inject her with the silver he’s brought in a syringe, and as she dies she transforms back to a very young, scared, vulnerable girl.
The next morning, Sam, Dean, Claire, and Mick are all at the hospital where the doctor is explaining that Hayden’s sudden death looks like a heart attack. Also, he explains how on admission, she had defensive wounds, but now everything is healed. The boys decide that Sam and Claire will talk to Hayden’s friends while Dean and Mick track down the bartender. At the bar, Dean and Mick approach the bartender and start to question him. He finally caves and tells Dean the girl had a thing with Connor, the other bartender. Dean questions Connor, commenting on his liking of teenage girls. Mick and Dean confront Connor about Hayden. Dean asks Connor what he did after Hayden left the bar. Connor says he went home. He also admits he met Claire, and starts to spout off about her type of girl; Dean makes sure he understands that if he comes near Claire again, Dean will break his face. As Dean and Mick leave, Dean confronts him about killing a young girl. He tells Mick that things are not always black and white -- each case has to be taken on its own merits.
Claire talks to Hayden’s friends alone, reasoning that Sam is too old for them to relate to. When she returns, she tells that Hayden was dating someone from the bar, and he creeped her friends out so much one of them ratted Hayden out to her brother. Sam takes in the information, then confronts Claire, asking her why Jody thinks she is in Wisconsin to look at colleges. Claire gets mad, telling Sam it’s none of their business and they need to stop treating her like a stupid kid. He tells her to stop acting like one. Claire storms off with her headphones on full blast. Suddenly she is attacked by a guy wearing a mask and though she fights, he pins her down. When she screams he runs off. Sam comes running up and finds Claire with a visible bite wound.
Back at the hotel, Sam and Dean try to make Claire comfortable. Sam tells her about a possible cure he's found in Men of Letters archives which uses the blood of the sire. Mick reveals that this cure was tested only once on humans and the subject died. Claire wants to try the cure anyway. Sam and Dean decide the tattooed bartender is the one who bit her and head out to get his blood. They leave Claire with Mick with the understanding that if anything happens to her, he dies. They go after tattoo guy, but it’s not him, as Sam’s silver knife has no effect.
Back at the hotel, as the moon rises, Claire starts to turn. She tries to take Mick’s gun to shoot herself, but he stops her. Before Mick can chain her, the masked man breaks into the room, knocking Mick across the room. It’s the first bartender Dean talked to, Justin. He drags Claire out of the room. Sam and Dean come back just as Mick is getting up. He tells them the werewolf took Claire, but he'd put a tracker on her, so they can find her.
The werewolf has Claire tied to a pillar in his kitchen. He tells her how Hayden was unhappy and he was going to make her his pack. He tries to force Claire to eat a heart but she spits it in his face. She struggles and starts to turn just as Sam and Dean bust in. Sam fights the werewolf and Dean takes on a wolfed-out Claire. Mick sticks a syringe into the werewolf's back before being thrown aside. As the werewolf attacks Dean, Mick shoots it in the back, then draws a syringe of his blood and they give Claire the cure. She writhes in great pain, and then passes out. After a moment more she transforms back and wakes up.
Back at the hotel, Claire is loading her car and Mick is amazed by her miracle cure. Sam and Dean agree to give Mick a second chance, and he is humbled and willing to learn. Claire says goodbye to the boys, and before taking off, she calls Jody. She leaves a voicemail telling Jody she’s hunting alone. While it’s scary, she’s doing what she has to do, but that she loves both Jody and Alex.
- British Men of Letters
- Costumes & Disguises
- Kendricks Academy
- Table of Death
- Werewolf Cure
- "I'd Be Lost (If It Wasn't for You)" by Elijah Honey (Black Toast Music)
- (playing from the Lucky Badger bar as Hayden is leaving)
- "Dance for Lovers" by William Risby (Sonic Ozault)
- (playing in the hotel lobby as Sam, Dean, and Mick talk with Claire)
- "Save Me Tonight" by Sonny Ellis (Black Toast Music)
- (playing in the bar as Dean and Mick interview Conner)
- "Make Me Wanna Die" by The Pretty Reckless
- (playing as Claire is walking through the park and is attacked by the werewolf)
- "Real Wild Child" by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
- (playing as Claire drives away)
Dean: So? Dude, what we do, you can't learn this crap in a book. You put on a flannel, you pick up a gun, you go out there. Either you get good fast or you get dead faster.
Sam: You brought a swimsuit?
Dean: I've had better nights sleep in my baby.
Mick: Did I? Killing monsters is what we do. Or maybe palling around with demons and witches, you've forgotten.
Mick: Well... That's your luxury. We have a code.
Sam: We do care.
Claire: Then stop treating me like a stupid kid!
Mick: So we're good?
Sam: Not quite, but we'll give you a second chance.
Trivia & References
- The Moscow mule includes vodka, spicy ginger beer and lime juice, garnished with a slice of lime and served in a copper cup.
- The Bat-Signal is used by the Gotham City Police Department as a method of contacting and summoning Batman to their assistance.
- Hogwarts is the School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in the world of Harry Potter.
- Martin Luther was a German monk and philosopher who was a leader in the split in the Roman Catholic Church that led to the formation of Protestantism. Mick was playing a podcast about Martin Luther in the Impala that Sam mentions having wanted to listen to. In 12.07 Rock Never Dies, Sam tells Dean he is listening to a history podcast on the "Protestant Reformation. A multi-part exploration of each of Martin Luther's 95 theses," when he was in fact listening to Ladyheart.
- In Dean's prank call to Claire he appears to combine a bad Wisconsin accent with an impersonation of the cartoon character Yogi Bear.
- Downton Abbey was an English period drama set in Yorkshire in the 1920s.
Dean: Take it easy, Clarice. Morgue's closed.
- Clarice Starling is the protagonist of the novel (and subsequent movie) The Silence of the Lambs.
- Harry Potter is the lead character, a wizard, in the series of books by Harry Potter J.K. Rowling.
Dean: What like 'wolfed out' turned?
Claire: Explains the whole Wolverine healing factor thing.
- Wolverine is a mutant from the Marvel X-Men universe, who can regenerate damaged tissue rapidly.
- A reference to the quote from Matthew MacConaughey's character Wooderson in the 1993 movie Dazed and Confused: "That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age."
- The Great British Bake Off is a British TV baking competition, which is quintessentially English.
- Teen Wolf is an MTV series about a teenage werewolf.
Claire: Honestly? Sorta craving a Milk-Bone right now.
- Milk-Bone is a brand of dog biscuit.
Sides, Scripts & Transcripts
- 12.16 Ladies Drink Free (transcript)
- Ladies Drink Free Script (Production Draft)